Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Skywards to offer special deals as membership passes 25m

Old Sep 11, 19, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Silver

Article in Arabian Business today (sorry cannot attach link as I do not have 5 posts yet to do so).

Loyalty programme for Emirates and flydubai to offer new rewards to celebrate

Emirates Skywards, the loyalty programme for Emirates and flydubai, has reached a new high of 25 million members.

Emirates Skywards is celebrating this key milestone with offers and surprises for its members, starting September 12.

This includes 25 percent discounts on upgrades and reward tickets on selected flights to and from Dubai, a network-wide special Cash+Miles rate on Emirates and flydubai flights, and a 25 percent discount on buying and gifting miles.

Competitions and prizes at Emirates Terminal 3 will also start on September 22.

In the last 18 months, Emirates Skywards has added five million members globally, which is an average of 277,777 every month, 9,259 every day, and more than six members every minute.

The UK continues to lead the table with 3.2 million members, followed by the US with 2.3 million, Australia 1.9 million, India 1.8 million and the UAE 1.7 million.

The programme now has 157 partners spanning the globe, including 15 airline partners that fly to a combined 2,000 destinations, 12 financial cobrands and seven points exchange partners covering 31 countries. Emirates Skywards also partners with more than 100 hotel brands and two online aggregators, providing access to 30 million properties and rooms globally.

In the last three years, the programme has added 24 new partners with the number of earn transactions increasing by 50 percent and redemptions rising by 150 percent.

Nejib Ben Khedher, divisional senior vice president Skywards said: “This is a proud moment for Emirates Skywards... We are now working on crossing the next big frontier, one that UAE residents and visitors can quickly get on board with through everyday spends, so stay tuned.”

Booked flights yesterday so might be missing out on any discounts, oh well...
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:57 am

I received the email direct from Emirates. Don't feel alone, I already booked a flight too prior to the announcement
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
I received the email direct from Emirates. Don't feel alone, I already booked a flight too prior to the announcement
I also received it via mail just a few minutes ago.. who knows maybe I will be doing a spontaneous booking, still got plenty of holidays left for this year
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Wanderlust_65 View Post
I also received it via mail just a few minutes ago.. who knows maybe I will be doing a spontaneous booking, still got plenty of holidays left for this year
I have numerous flights booked from November all the way through next June. So, no discounts for me. But, I'll keep hoping
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:59 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
It looks like the most advantageous offers (25% fewer miles for awards and upgrades) are for travel originating or terminating in Dubai only. So not of enormous interest for the vast majority of Skywards members, I would think.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
It looks like the most advantageous offers (25% fewer miles for awards and upgrades) are for travel originating or terminating in Dubai only. So not of enormous interest for the vast majority of Skywards members, I would think.
How so? Other than a few fifth freedom flights, doesn't every Emirates flight either depart or arrive in Dubai?

I just cancelled an existing upgrade and immediately reinstated it at the 25% off rate. Completely seamless - so to me it's a very good promotion. Having said that, 25% is roughly in line with some of the "Miles upgrade offers" that appear now and again (typically 20% off).
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:16 pm

And this was to an existing booking made prior to today - so for those that have booked prior to the offer, the opportunity to upgrade with 25% fewer miles definitely works.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lkaroo View Post
How so? Other than a few fifth freedom flights, doesn't every Emirates flight either depart or arrive in Dubai?
But >90% of passengers only transit there. If the destination on their ticket determines where they're flying to, then the offer isn't so good.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
But >90% of passengers only transit there. If the destination on their ticket determines where they're flying to, then the offer isn't so good.
I have now upgraded three tickets (1 x Y-J, 2 x J-F) on individual legs of multi stop itineraries so it appears to work on any flight in and out of Dubai regardless of the ultimate destination / origin.

You do not, however, get a further 25% discount on the discounted rate for two sectors.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:43 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Lkaroo View Post

I just cancelled an existing upgrade and immediately reinstated it at the 25% off rate. Completely seamless - so to me it's a very good promotion. Having said that, 25% is roughly in line with some of the "Miles upgrade offers" that appear now and again (typically 20% off).
Is the offer targeted?

I have an itinerary transiting through DXB (4 PAX) that includes a miles upgrade on one leg ex-DXB processed a couple of weeks ago. Presume the only way to cancel and re-upgrade is by phone?
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:01 am

I haven’t received this email, are the offers on their website anywhere?
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:10 am
twr

I never received any email however I see via the app that when I checked last week an upgrade was available for me for the JHB to DXB for the 29 SEP was available from 36000 but now it's available for 27000 ! I only have 15000 miles available so I have to purchase,which doesn't give me the option to buy on the app but Ive seen it on the website.

I've never flown business before is this a good deal? I would have to purchase using some money , or do I wait a week before and wait for the email option to upgrade again,which doesn't include the lounge and chaffuer drive? I don't need the lounge not pick up service,am I correct in understanding that if I do the upgrade now it includes it but if I wait for the email upgrade it won't include it? Which will be a cheaper option? It's a flex plus ticket
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:39 am

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
It would also appear that saver (and special) fares are excluded from the discounted miles upgrade, even from J to C . Do most Skywards members purchase Flex or Flex plus fares? I think not. It is fairly typical of EK to make what seem initially to be very generous gestures, only to find that they are not as generous as first appearance!!
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by JudeS View Post
It would also appear that saver (and special) fares are excluded from the discounted miles upgrade, even from J to C
J ans C are the same thing? (Well we don't use C here on the EK forum but it generally refers to Business class).

Savers can't be upgraded ahead of time (in Y) so that makes sense. Not sure about from J but it's probably in the terms and conditions
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:44 am

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
Sorry, finger slip, meant J to F.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: