Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates bans MacBook Pro (carry-on & checked)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold

Emirates bans MacBook Pro (checked and carry-on baggage)

"Joining a number of international airlines, Dubai-based Emirates has also banned the carrying of a certain model of MacBook Pro computers in both checked and carry-on luggage, the Dubai-based airline posted on its website on Sunday.

"Apple recently announced a recall of 15-inch MacBook Pro models sold between September 2015 and February 2017, citing defective batteries that could overheat and pose a fire safety risk. Therefore, as a safety precaution, travellers will not be permitted to carry these MacBook Pro models as checked or carry-on baggage on Emirates flights unless the battery has been replaced," Emirates said.

An Emirates spokesperson confirmed to Khaleej Times that passengers are barred from carrying the device both as check-in baggage and carry-on luggage.

The airline also advised passengers to check if their device is affected."

Edit: Here's the apple link to check your serial number
https://support.apple.com/15-inch-ma...battery-recall

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Sep 10, 2019 at 6:31 am
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
I wonder how easy this will be to implement in practice as I doubt that security staff are going to find it easy to identify whether a 15inch MacBook Pro is in the at risk group.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The Indian government has also banned these for at least the past two weeks based on notices I've been receiving on domestic flights including one today. I also saw a notice at the check-in desks.

I keep telling people not to buy this company's overpriced trash...
daisymay2, ps107 and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
I wonder how easy this will be to implement in practice as I doubt that security staff are going to find it easy to identify whether a 15inch MacBook Pro is in the at risk group.
Theres likely specific serial numbers with an identifiable pattern. But ultimately it's like power banks in checked bags and relies on some level of pax self- regulating
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:28 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have added a quote from the link in the OP (as is required by FT rules).

Joining a number of international airlines, Dubai-based Emirates has also banned the carrying of a certain model of MacBook Pro computers in both checked and carry-on luggage, the Dubai-based airline posted on its website on Sunday.

"Apple recently announced a recall of 15-inch MacBook Pro models sold between September 2015 and February 2017, citing defective batteries that could overheat and pose a fire safety risk. Therefore, as a safety precaution, travellers will not be permitted to carry these MacBook Pro models as checked or carry-on baggage on Emirates flights unless the battery has been replaced," Emirates said.

An Emirates spokesperson confirmed to Khaleej Times that passengers are barred from carrying the device both as check-in baggage and carry-on luggage.

The airline also advised passengers to check if their device is affected.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Saltire74

I have added a quote from the link in the OP (as is required by FT rules).

Thank you. I was unaware that it required a quote. I'll certainly start adding the quoted information on my next posting. ^
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Theres likely specific serial numbers with an identifiable pattern. But ultimately it's like power banks in checked bags and relies on some level of pax self- regulating
I remember checking in somewhere in Asia a few years ago where you had to wait for your name and bag tag number to come up as "ok" or "come to security" on a TV screen after checking in. Haven't seen anything similar since then. So I guess there may be some level of checked bag screening happening behind the scenes.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

All checked baggage gets screened does it not?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
All checked baggage gets screened does it not?
It does
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Thanks Global Adventurer for your post. It is really appreciated!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
The amazing thing is nobody seems to know how to read the original issue.

The problematic macbook is specifically the 15” 2015 MacBook Pro. The problem is the wording that the specific model was made and for sale until 2017. The MacBook Pro with touch bar was the 2016 model but they sold the 2015 without one for two years just in case. All these airlines are reading it as if it’s all model of macbooks from 2015-2017.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think that it is less a reading and more coming up with a rule that is more realistic to be able to implement
wrp96 and dav662 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The recalled laptops are identified under "About This Mac" as only these and only some of these: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). That's how they identify them and the sale period just confounds the problem. The serial can be checked here: https://support.apple.com/15-inch-ma...battery-recall
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
Hmmmn well, this is a bit of a pickle for me as I’m currently travelling with my 15 inch MacBook Pro (or bit of overpriced trash, if you prefer) and will still have one EK flight back home to DXB before the trip is done. When the recall was first announced I checked my serial number, and mine is not in the batch affected by the recall.

The language from ek isn’t 100% clear as I think it could be interpreted to mean that only the affected models (ID’d by serial number) are truly banned. So I think I have two options, the first being to show a screencap with my serial number that makes clear that mine is not an affected model, the second being to say ‘the battery has been replaced’ if asked.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by petit_manchot
Hmmmn well, this is a bit of a pickle for me as I’m currently travelling with my 15 inch MacBook Pro (or bit of overpriced trash, if you prefer) and will still have one EK flight back home to DXB before the trip is done. When the recall was first announced I checked my serial number, and mine is not in the batch affected by the recall.

The language from ek isn’t 100% clear as I think it could be interpreted to mean that only the affected models (ID’d by serial number) are truly banned. So I think I have two options, the first being to show a screencap with my serial number that makes clear that mine is not an affected model, the second being to say ‘the battery has been replaced’ if asked.

Thoughts?
Or third option, just don't say anything. It challenged say it isn't an affected model, but I'm on an EK Flight right now and aside a mention at check-in Jones had a look at which laptop I have (it's a ThinkPad and black so quite obviously not a MacBook but no one's even seen it other than transit security at DXB)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.