Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates bans MacBook Pro (carry-on & checked)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Or third option, just don't say anything. It challenged say it isn't an affected model, but I'm on an EK Flight right now and aside a mention at check-in Jones had a look at which laptop I have (it's a ThinkPad and black so quite obviously not a MacBook but no one's even seen it other than transit security at DXB)
Yes, should have prefaced by saying that my default will be silence!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by petit_manchot

Yes, should have prefaced by saying that my default will be silence!
So many typos in my post! "No one", not Jones
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Check in Jones actually works quite well. I think it should be used for all future referrals to check in staff!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:41 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Must say that I was not that surprised to hear you are on a first name basis with the check in staff. Certainly in CPT, so why not in HYD.....
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Must say that I was not that surprised to hear you are on a first name basis with the check in staff. Certainly in CPT, so why not in HYD.....
Since Sean moved to handling the QR flights at CPT unfortunately I'm too familiar with the current staff anymore. And I flew out of BOM yesterday on EK
thijsseh likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Gold
Just registered

I flew DXB-MXP EK101 on Sep 9th and they asked at check in if I had a 15" MBP. I do and said yes, but mine isn't affected and the Apple website clearly shows it if you enter the serial number, so they just let me take it along.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, QR Gold, LH Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Flore
Just registered

I flew DXB-MXP EK101 on Sep 9th and they asked at check in if I had a 15" MBP. I do and said yes, but mine isn't affected and the Apple website clearly shows it if you enter the serial number, so they just let me take it along.
Thanks for this. I've done the same thing, printed out the Apple website that shows that my MBP is not on the recall list, as well as the original invoice with the serial number. https://support.apple.com/15-inch-ma...battery-recall
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
Originally Posted by Flore
Just registered

Fantastic, thanks for this update. Most helpful!
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Do you have to tell what kind of computer you have with you?

Flying from MXP-JFK, at check in they asked if I had a computer with me and what kind. Once I told them they wanted the serial number. And then they went in the back and said ok I can go through.

They claimed that it is something new coming from the US.

I looked around and didn’t see anyone showing their computers. When I came from CDG this morning to catch the EK flight no one asked me at check in.

is this something new?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Many airlines have banned 15" Macbook Pros manufactured between 2015 and 2017 unless the battery has been replaced.

Your post isn't clear about how you travelled from CDG to MXP. Was that EK?

Obviously, not all GHA check-in agents manage to ask all restricted/prohibited items questions as per each airlines requirements.

In my opinion, it is never a good idea to be dishonest about what you are carrying when an airline asks you about what you are carrying to check you aren't carrying a restricted or prohibited item.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
As mentioned, there is a problem with (the battery of) certain 15" MacBookPro laptops. When you go to the Emirates website, you can see a yellow banner on the top mentioning this. Emirates will not accept these particular laptops as either cabin- or checked luggage unless you can demonstrate that the battery has been replaced.
As I have a 15" MacBookPro (but not from the affected years), I have gone to the Apple website: Apple’s 15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Recall Program (the link is also on the Emirates website), entered the serial number of my laptop and printed a screenshot of the response telling me that my particular laptop (with it's serial number) is not affected. I carry this printout with me so I can show that I am 'safe' when challenged / questioned.
I read on another forum that for instance in Vietnam, they were not accepting any 15" MacBook Pro's at all.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Skywards
See existing thread on the Macbook Pro saga:

also, theres a notice on the Emirates website as a banner so its not hard to miss.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by cargueiro
Many airlines have banned 15" Macbook Pros manufactured between 2015 and 2017 unless the battery has been replaced.

Your post isn't clear about how you travelled from CDG to MXP. Was that EK?

Obviously, not all GHA check-in agents manage to ask all restricted/prohibited items questions as per each airlines requirements.

In my opinion, it is never a good idea to be dishonest about what you are carrying when an airline asks you about what you are carrying to check you aren't carrying a restricted or prohibited item.

I travelled from CDG-MXP on AF, they didn't ask me anything.

And MXP-JFK on EK (same day) and they asked me.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:47 am

I have a MacBook Pro 13 (so not affected) and have completed 10 sectors on EK since the ban came into force. Not once I have been asked anything about my laptop, neither at checkin nor boarding.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, QR Gold, LH Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Priority Pass, Global Entry
MacBook Pro in Cabin

Originally Posted by flying_pig
I have a MacBook Pro 13 (so not affected) and have completed 10 sectors on EK since the ban came into force. Not once I have been asked anything about my laptop, neither at checkin nor boarding.
I travelled from JFK-MXP-DXB. I was asked at checkin about any MacBook Pro with me. I explained that mine was not affected, and offered to show the paperwork. The check in agent said fine, did not check the paperwork, and I boarded and flew without any problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.