Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Possible Iran war: should I still book EK ?

Old Sep 3, 19, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I have flown EK with pleasure: affordable ticket prices and good service, even in Y.
But for an upcoming Australia trip next February I consider another (Asian, not Middel East) airline because of a looming possible war between the USA and Iran. US bases in the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar are possible targets for Iranian missiles, which will result in a closure of all Middle East airspace and set EK (and EY and QR) operations come to a standstill. War is not covered by EU261, so I guess any booked tickets won't be refunded.

What are your ideas ?
Old Sep 3, 19, 1:37 pm
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Lol... buy travel insurance if you seriously think that's going to happen
argonath, Paolo1972 and Tanzguy like this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 2:18 pm

I just booked holidays in Oman & UAE for April 2020 and now in the planning for Oz in November 2020 with stopover Dubai for Expo on the way back. All flights with EK and very much looking forward to it!

Not worried at all about any regional escalation as far too much at stake for both sides, regionally and globally. And, should there be any escalation it would not only affect the ME airlines.

And yes, a good travel insurance indeed helps.
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:37 pm

I have a very long extended trip already planned to Dubai over the entire winter and have a cruise leaving there in April. I'm not concerned at all. If there's any problems, the cruise line and airline will simply cancel the reservations like they do for hurricanes and other weather related issues. Nothing lost. Just make refundable accommodations and you'll be good to go.
SheldonB14 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:40 am

Programs: Skywards
I would say theres more chances of you getting run over by a car at the airport than a war is.
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Lol... buy travel insurance if you seriously think that's going to happen
Probably an event of force majeure...
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:17 am

With all the time, effort, planning and the trillions of dinars put into building the largest world's fair expo (tickets go on sale in April), I don't think that the UAE will risk all of that for millions of people to miss out on opening day next October. EK and the UAE will be open for business as usual.
Old Sep 29, 19, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
With all the time, effort, planning and the trillions of dinars put into building the largest world's fair expo (tickets go on sale in April), I don't think that the UAE will risk all of that for millions of people to miss out on opening day next October. EK and the UAE will be open for business as usual.
The chances are low, but the risks is that Iran does something unprovoked like they did in Saudi.

And its Dirhams.
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:57 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
Maybe OP has been reading a bit too much of this...

WIPE OUT THE ENEMY Iran could be ‘destroyed overnight in a massive shock and awe attack’ says leaked US ‘war plan’
Old Sep 30, 19, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
Is it a ticketed event ? I thought it was free to attend. Also, isn't the fair Dubai based whereas all military decisions made by AUH, and Dubai has to just lap it up
Old Sep 30, 19, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd View Post
Is it a ticketed event ?
You pay to enter.
Old Sep 30, 19, 10:56 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y View Post
I would say theres more chances of you getting run over by a car at the airport than a war is.

Search this Thread