MCT-DXB-MCT

Old Aug 18, 19, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G / A3 *G
MCT-DXB-MCT

Hello,

I am moving jobs from DXB and will be working in Muscat during the week and living in Dubai (with the wife) at the weekends for next 6 months.
My employer is kindly paying the flights in economy each weekend.

Anyone have experience of these very short flights, if I book EK, its even on a A380. Flight times are good in both directions so I can avoid FlyDubai flights.
Sometimes I will pay the extra a jump the very cheap LX F class although timings are much later on a Thursday.

I realise its only a short flight but... As I am EK silver I will have lounge access in DXB but not MCT until I have flown another 12 flights - so by Christmas I should be EK Gold!
Any insight would be appreciated.
Old Aug 19, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: Skywards
Thumbs up a couple of reviews...

Hi! I was actually on the inaugural of this flight, invited by EK along with Sam Chui and Cherag Dubash to cover it.
We flew on the morning flight and I personally found it quite practical - while the flight is about 40 mins, it takes about 90 from gate to gate, specially given the traffic at dxb in the morning. We turned around so I was back in the office in Dubai by 2pm
We flew business and despite a short flight the continental breakfast was rather generous.
I am new here so not allowed to post urls yet apparently So you can look up Shortest A380 flight on Sam Chui's YT channel and on the "Upgrade points" portal for Cherag's written review. A gentleman known as non stop dan also posted a YT review on his channel for the economy class.
By the way, great way to get into gold! ;-)
Old Aug 19, 19, 12:11 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I love EK but if the flight times work for you, I would seriously consider FlyDubai to minimize time spent at the airport. You get Skywards Tier points on FZ, too.

The flight is so short that the EK crew start serving meals flight the plane is still climbing (pushing the cart uphill!) and taking them back some afterwards (it's a challenge for them to serve everyone in Y). Odds are you will start skipping it soon enough.

T2 is a whole lot easier and faster to get in/out of compared to T3 (less walking, no Concourse C, no train, etc), not to mention time to load and unload Pax from an A380.

As a commuter, you'll soon be wanting to minimize travel time and maximize time at work and home.

PS: on the plus side, your alcohol cabinet will be well stocked from the weekly Dubai Duty Free stops. Bring the wife nice stuff.

Last edited by extramileage; Aug 19, 19 at 12:20 am
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks both for the nfo.
I will look up the flights on YT. Thanks for the heads up.
Meals / Food will be less important to be honest, eaten

Yes time will be important, if FZ works then I will choose that option, not been into T2 yet. Although as EK Silver I guess I could gain lounge access at DXB T2 if required. I am npt far from EK Gold especially if I get flex plus tickets. Not thought about a380 pax loads or airport travel time either - something to consider. Can i use expert flyer to give rough estimates of loads on these flights?

Commuting wise will just be hand luggage - and of course some Duty Free. I do have an alcohol licence but never understand if I am "allowed" to transport it on the metro home...usually jump a cab!

Thanks once again.
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDobber View Post
Thanks both for the nfo.

Yes time will be important, if FZ works then I will choose that option, not been into T2 yet. Although as EK Silver I guess I could gain lounge access at DXB T2 if required. I am npt far from EK Gold especially if I get flex plus tickets. Not thought about a380 pax loads or airport travel time either - something to consider. Can i use expert flyer to give rough estimates of loads on these flights?

Commuting wise will just be hand luggage - and of course some Duty Free. I do have an alcohol licence but never understand if I am "allowed" to transport it on the metro home...usually jump a cab!

Thanks once again.
No, not allowed on metro (it's in the list of offences that are fineable) so just hide it ! 200 AED fine
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
No, not allowed on metro (it's in the list of offences that are fineable) so just hide it ! 200 AED fine
In the bag it goes then or get a taxi.
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDobber View Post
Thanks both for the nfo.

Thanks once again.
I'd consider flying into DXB with FZ but departing with EK from T3, as FZ are always bus gates and the terminal isn't amazing to hang around, even if you show up at close to the flight as possible. That is if EK timing and flights are just as convenient.
Old Aug 19, 19, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
I'd consider flying into DXB with FZ but departing with EK from T3, as FZ are always bus gates and the terminal isn't amazing to hang around, even if you show up at close to the flight as possible. That is if EK timing and flights are just as convenient.
That could really work for me, not thought of that.

EK2033 (FZ Metal) 1635 1740 MCT-DXB on a Thursday is ideal, Saturdays flights will be changeable depends what we are doing for the weekend!
Old Aug 19, 19, 10:29 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
As Silver tier you can't access the FZ lounge in T2
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by skywardsfreak View Post
We flew business and despite a short flight the continental breakfast was rather generous.
Ooh better send this review to "Safifi" in the following thread:

Emirates Business Class In Decline

He will be absolutely outraged that you got that nice breakfast while he suffered unending disgraces on his 3 hour flight. According to him, they cleaned up the cabin before you even boarded your flight
kq747 and ElJudioErrante like this.
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:23 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by aeropix View Post

He will be absolutely outraged that you got that nice breakfast while he suffered unending disgraces on his 3 hour flight. According to him, they cleaned up the cabin before you even boarded your flight
I will extrapolate this one data point to announce that Emirates Business Class is on the rise. BUY BUY BUY.

(sorry, reading too much market news)
thijsseh and ElJudioErrante like this.

Last edited by extramileage; Aug 20, 19 at 11:32 pm
Old Aug 21, 19, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aeropix View Post

I will stick to Economy : you get what you pay for!
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 1:50 am

Programs: EK Gold, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
I love EK but if the flight times work for you, I would seriously consider FlyDubai to minimize time spent at the airport. You get Skywards Tier points on FZ, too.

The flight is so short that the EK crew start serving meals flight the plane is still climbing (pushing the cart uphill!) and taking them back some afterwards (it's a challenge for them to serve everyone in Y). Odds are you will start skipping it soon enough.

T2 is a whole lot easier and faster to get in/out of compared to T3 (less walking, no Concourse C, no train, etc), not to mention time to load and unload Pax from an A380.

As a commuter, you'll soon be wanting to minimize travel time and maximize time at work and home.

PS: on the plus side, your alcohol cabinet will be well stocked from the weekly Dubai Duty Free stops. Bring the wife nice stuff.
As a frequent traveler to MCT I second the FlyDubai option but unfortunately the 737 debacle has limited their flights. T2 is a lot easier to get in and out of, especially if you land back in Dubai at the C gates. If you will have a residence to MCT this won't matter but the lines at the visa purchase booth can be long when Emirates lands an A380 or 777 in MCT, I purchase an online visa to get around this. Lounges in T2 and MCT can be accessed with 2 of my credit cards, (HSBC and Citi) and that comes in quite handy as well, I like the MCT lounge (Primeclass Lounge).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: