Upgrade via miles availability

Old Aug 18, 19, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade via miles availability

Our family is flying return Sydney to Dublin in December. We booked Economy Flex Plus tickets and have enough miles to upgrade to business. When I called today to try and upgrade the customer service rep said there were no available seats for upgrade via miles as the allocation that was available has been exhausted. Furthermore she said there were no available upgrade seats showing for all of December or Jan and seemed to doubt whether more seats would open up closer to the date.

I was surprised to hear this as we normally fly peak season (Jun or Dec) and have always managed to upgrade via miles in the past. Does anyone know if emirates have gotten stricter with allocating seats for upgrading, or have I perhaps tried to upgrade too early and should try again in a month’s time or was the customer service rep right in that our family of 3 will be unlikely to upgrade our flights??

Also if they were to release another round of seats for upgrade does anyone know when this is normally done? I think waiting until a month beforehand would be too tight for us, as a family we would prob look at re-booking our flights instead.
Old Aug 19, 19, 1:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There's no fixed time for when upgrade seats become available. The likelihood of 3 seats opening up on 4 separate legs isn't great IMO. December is a busy time for people in Europe heading to Australia, so the flights will be pretty full.
Old Aug 19, 19, 10:45 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by sleepy_jean View Post
Our family is flying return Sydney to Dublin in December. We booked Economy Flex Plus tickets and have enough miles to upgrade to business. When I called today to try and upgrade the customer service rep said there were no available seats for upgrade via miles as the allocation that was available has been exhausted. Furthermore she said there were no available upgrade seats showing for all of December or Jan and seemed to doubt whether more seats would open up closer to the date.

I was surprised to hear this as we normally fly peak season (Jun or Dec) and have always managed to upgrade via miles in the past. Does anyone know if emirates have gotten stricter with allocating seats for upgrading, or have I perhaps tried to upgrade too early and should try again in a month’s time or was the customer service rep right in that our family of 3 will be unlikely to upgrade our flights??

Also if they were to release another round of seats for upgrade does anyone know when this is normally done? I think waiting until a month beforehand would be too tight for us, as a family we would prob look at re-booking our flights instead.
I have managed to upgrade flights the last two years in December to SYD going from the UK and one time from Africa. Upgrades became available approximately a week out. As you are on Flex+ tickets, I would say if you can be slightly flexible with your dates you could have a good chance. Whilst EF and the emirates website showed no availability I was able to call and upgrade over the phone.

Search this Thread