Wiki Posts
Search

Booking flight in wrong direction

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Booking flight in wrong direction

Hello

I need to fly Manchester to Brasil and found a good fare on the Matrix vai Dubai. That is an illogical routing but the pricing is so good that I don't mind. I can price it as a multicity booking on the Emirates site but when I select the flight, it gives me an error. Any way to book this flight? Should I call them? Or can I simply ask my local TA to book it?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
You can call them and ask. EK don't published fares from Europe to North America but I'm not sure about South America
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Thinksamuel
Hello

I need to fly Manchester to Brasil and found a good fare on the Matrix vai Dubai. That is an illogical routing but the pricing is so good that I don't mind. I can price it as a multicity booking on the Emirates site but when I select the flight, it gives me an error. Any way to book this flight? Should I call them? Or can I simply ask my local TA to book it?
I've noticed on Matrix that there are quite a few low OW fares in Y on EK on "illogical routes". When I've tried to reserve, also the error comes up and when I've checked directly with EK, I've discovered that the fares unfortunately don't exist. And I've had no luck with OTA.
It would be interesting to know if and how you are successful.
There are published fares on EK from Northern/Eastern Europe to South America destinations.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much is low? looking on Expert Flyer , there are fares listed by Emirates for Manchester to Sao Paulo/Rio and seem to be bookable on Expedia ( I get as far as payment page )
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

So indeed, you can get to the payment page of the booking on Expedia and the Emirates website but the companies' travel agent booked it in the end, not sure where they did it. Anyway, good a return MAN-DXB-RIO for £900 and all legs are economy flex. On the way back I get even Dubai Connect so I think I did a good deal :-)
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

So indeed, you can get to the payment page of the booking on Expedia and the Emirates website but the companies' travel agent booked it in the end, not sure where they did it. Anyway, good a return MAN-DXB-RIO for £900 and all legs are economy flex. On the way back I get even Dubai Connect so I think I did a good deal :-)
I'm an Emirates fan.. but that's crazy IMO
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm an Emirates fan.. but that's crazy IMO
I'd do it in J for sure, but Y? That sounds dreadful. More power to you if you can do it!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

It's not too different from going UK to Australia, which I have done a few times, so I have experience :-)
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
It's not too different from going UK to Australia, which I have done a few times, so I have experience :-)
lol it is completely different.. you are going east 7 hours in the opposite direction..!

How many miles are you getting for the trip?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:53 pm

I'm flying ACC-DXB-IAD next month. The distances and directions are somewhat similar to what you have here. It was no problem to book it. I did it through Chase UR travel portal. A few months ago I booked ACC-DXB-JFK directly on emirates.com for someone else.

gcmaps.com gives a good visual of the routing and distances. If you first enter the nonstop route, and then your actual route, it will show the extra miles you're flying as a percentage.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:57 pm

Not sure how that comparison really means anything. You are doing a journey of 10,900 miles when it could be done in under 5,900 miles. it is an extra 5000 miles each way

Flying MAN-DXB-SYD is 11,000 miles but is only 433 miles further than the non stop distance
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:11 pm

I once thought of doing AKL-DXB-LAX for fun in J, but I thought better of it...

I met a couple who was doing it in F (Alaska award tickets from the 100k mile days) but they were staying in DXB for a few days.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
I once thought of doing AKL-DXB-LAX for fun in J, but I thought better of it...
I don't know which bit of it would be the fun bit
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not sure how that comparison really means anything. You are doing a journey of 10,900 miles when it could be done in under 5,900 miles. it is an extra 5000 miles each way

Flying MAN-DXB-SYD is 11,000 miles but is only 433 miles further than the non stop distance
Once you're in the aircraft it is the same surely? The fact it CAN be done more quickly (much more quickly LOL) doesn't change the fact that similar length trips are routinely taken....and survived.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't know which bit of it would be the fun bit
Unlimited Veuve Cliquot? I had one of those downgrade vouchers and I could go anywhere EK flew in J if I could fit it in 4 sectors, and I am LAX based, so... why not? I ended up doing HKG-DXB-LAX. Actually, if you include all the sectors, paid and comped, LAX-DXB-MNL-HKG-DXB-HYD-DXB-LAX. Not the first time I've done that crazyarse routing either...
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.