New inflight connectivity

Old Jul 29, 19, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
New inflight connectivity

Digging the new wifi connectivity option for using message based apps and the screen showing how long left till landing. All they now need is a section for gate numbers for onward flights!

Last edited by S c 0 TT y; Jul 29, 19 at 8:35 pm
Old Jul 29, 19, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y View Post
Digging the new wifi connectivity option for using message based apps and the screen showing how long left till landing. All they now need is a section for gate numbers for onward flights!
Available in ICE, on your mobile BP and via the Dubai Airports app
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
I've updated the OP with screenshots, was a nightmare trying to add these in over the wifi in the plane.

I've never seen these options before.

I don't use ICE (very rare), old fashioned with the boarding passes and didn't know about the Dubai Airports app so will download that now - thanks.
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Another handy app is Flight Board which lists most airports around the world and seems reasonably up to date with gate info
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:25 am
Suspended

I've updated the OP with screenshots, was a nightmare trying to add these in over the wifi in the plane.

I've never seen these options before.

I don't use ICE (very rare), old fashioned with the boarding passes and didn't know about the Dubai Airports app so will download that now - thanks.
Thanks

very cool option. As a gold member I don't see these, after login I'm immediately connected with unlimited data (my favourite EK benefit!).

The Dubai Airports app is definitely worth it for the connecting gates, the ICE info comes in late and sometimes doesn't work and the mo Ile BP works but sometimes one doesn't have one or as you say is "old-fashioned". You can also set up push notifications for your flight in the Dubai Airports app and gate info is generally available 5-8hrs in advance of departure
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:31 am

Programs: SPG, HHonors
Cannot Send Pictures over iMessage (Blocked) but WhatsApp OK?

The system is extremely buggy, or restricted lately...

1/ There is a long standing blocking of sending photos over Apple iMessage, but they allow photos on WhatsApp and Email, so I can't understand the rationale for blocking pictures over iMessage specifically (and apparently blocking posting to this forum;-))... I've sent complaints but never got a response.

2/ Since the latest update, the Apple E-mail client is Blocked as well! If you have an apple device you cannot send or receive mail through the built in client, you will get a very small message at the bottom of the screen saying that your account encountered errors. You then have to check your mail using a web-client. Again I don't know the rationale for this blockage, and hope it is a bug. However see nr. 1 above that "bug" has been there since many years and over numerous firmware upgrades so it may be EK that is blocking these items on Apple phones.

I hope somebody would have better luck contacting EK to fix these issues. They are kind of granular so I thought I'd point it out in case others are having the same frustrations.
S c 0 TT y likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aeropix View Post
The system is extremely buggy, or restricted lately...

1/ There is a long standing blocking of sending photos over Apple iMessage, but they allow photos on WhatsApp and Email, so I can't understand the rationale for blocking pictures over iMessage specifically (and apparently blocking posting to this forum;-))... I've sent complaints but never got a response.

2/ Since the latest update, the Apple E-mail client is Blocked as well! If you have an apple device you cannot send or receive mail through the built in client, you will get a very small message at the bottom of the screen saying that your account encountered errors. You then have to check your mail using a web-client. Again I don't know the rationale for this blockage, and hope it is a bug. However see nr. 1 above that "bug" has been there since many years and over numerous firmware upgrades so it may be EK that is blocking these items on Apple phones.

I hope somebody would have better luck contacting EK to fix these issues. They are kind of granular so I thought I'd point it out in case others are having the same frustrations.
Is iMessage one of the displayed icons? Perhaps something to do with how those apps encrypt their data. Perhaps EK cant distinguish between a VoIP call and a text or image on those apps so they block outright
Old Jul 30, 19, 2:31 am

Programs: SPG, HHonors
iMessage is explicitly stated as supported

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Is iMessage one of the displayed icons? Perhaps something to do with how those apps encrypt their data. Perhaps EK cant distinguish between a VoIP call and a text or image on those apps so they block outright
Yes, absolutely it is explicitly stated as one of the supported platforms. Look at the "free 20Mb" option "Need to use WhatsApp or iMessage?" WhatsApp sends photos, iMessage will not. The most frustrating aspect of it is the iMessage will continue trying to send the photo until the 20Mb is completely used up. Even though the system is actively blocking the photos it continues to count all the "bad packets" as active data usage.

iMessage CAN send photos if VPN is used, the photos are blocked if VPN is not used.

Note that the "Free Text Message" option explicitly states "Text only" but the 20Mb connection is purely data, that you should be able to use for any type of transmission, browsing or reading email (Email is also being blocked over the Apple client in this current version)

Last edited by aeropix; Jul 30, 19 at 2:38 am
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Available in ICE, on your mobile BP and via the Dubai Airports app
Channel 94 I think, and there's also a link from the flight information screen an hour or so before landing.

Search this Thread