Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Miles to upgrade now only available per flight

Miles to upgrade now only available per flight

Old Jul 25, 19, 1:40 pm
  #1  
formerly EKplat
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: AU
Programs: EK platinum
Posts: 280
Miles to upgrade now only available per flight

I notice a change in Miles Calculator, where it is now no longer possible to use miles to upgrade a multi-flight trip. Only individual flights.

For example, I used to be able to find the upgrade miles required for MEL-ADD. Now all boxes for this upgrade for all ticket types shows "not applicable". I can only find the miles required for the two component flights MEL-DXB and DXB-ADD.

This is unfortunate as previously the total trip upgrade miles were less than the sum of the upgrade miles required for each flight. This usually meant that a reduced number of miles was paid for one of the flights if the other flight was already upgraded.

Now it looks like it's only possible to upgrade one flight at a time, allowing Emirates to effectively charge more miles to upgrade multi-flight trips.

Has anyone else noticed this or have I not been paying enough attention to Emirates announcements?
Attached Images  

Last edited by BadoRas; Jul 25, 19 at 3:09 pm
BadoRas is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Posts: 2,316
You are correct. I tried to calculate the LGW DEL upgrade miles needed and it wouldn't let me do it.

Haven't used miles for around 9 months and do not know if this is some new rule.

Dont remember this being mentioned on this forum before.

Hope it's a glitch .

DEL LGW used to be around 30000 miles to upgrade Y to J till a few years ago . Then it became 45.5 miles as of last year with a flex ticket .

With this it will become nearly 60k miles even with a flex ticket:-(
ukdoctor is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 3:06 pm
  #3  
formerly EKplat
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: AU
Programs: EK platinum
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
You are correct. I tried to calculate the LGW DEL upgrade miles needed and it wouldn't let me do it.

Haven't used miles for around 9 months and do not know if this is some new rule.

Dont remember this being mentioned on this forum before.

Hope it's a glitch .

DEL LGW used to be around 30000 miles to upgrade Y to J till a few years ago . Then it became 45.5 miles as of last year with a flex ticket .

With this it will become nearly 60k miles even with a flex ticket:-(

I'd be surprised if it's a glitch. I suspect it's Emirates simplifying things to their advantage.
BadoRas is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 3:12 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,664
Originally Posted by BadoRas View Post
I'd be surprised if it's a glitch. I suspect it's Emirates simplifying things to their advantage.
So someone who buys just a LGW-DXB return flight can't upgrade? Highly doubt that

EDIT: Sorry nvm, it's the other way around...
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 3:17 pm
  #5  
formerly EKplat
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: AU
Programs: EK platinum
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
So someone who buys just a LGW-DXB return flight can't upgrade? Highly doubt that

EDIT: Sorry nvm, it's the other way around...

We can still upgrade single flights like LGW-DXB. What's changed is we can't take advantage of the lesser miles to upgrade a multi-flight trip, as these are no longer available.
BadoRas is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 5:00 pm
  #6  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,869
Originally Posted by BadoRas View Post
We can still upgrade single flights like LGW-DXB. What's changed is we can't take advantage of the lesser miles to upgrade a multi-flight trip, as these are no longer available.
I'd really hope that this is a bug....

You never know with EK these days.

Maybe try Twatter and see if they can do the full upgrade? Or at least tell you if it's an intentional 'enhancement'
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 5:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,208
I haven't tried all routes, but it's still OK on GLA-SYD and GLA-BKK, but not GLA-MEL or ADD-GLA. Very strange.


ft101 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 5:38 pm
  #8  
formerly EKplat
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: AU
Programs: EK platinum
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
I haven't tried all routes, but it's still OK on GLA-SYD and GLA-BKK, but not GLA-MEL or ADD-GLA. Very strange.



That's weird. Maybe they are still in the process of modifying the database and haven't finished yet.
BadoRas is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:12 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Programs: Emirates Gold
Posts: 313
I just today successfully upgraded SIN-DXB-GLA from business saver (paid) to First (miles). I paid 68,250 miles, a far cry from the 90k i'd have needed to do sectors one by one.
Dambus likes this.
lots@LHR is offline  
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:09 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,208
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just today successfully upgraded SIN-DXB-GLA from business saver (paid) to First (miles). I paid 68,250 miles, a far cry from the 90k i'd have needed to do sectors one by one.
That's a route that shows up as "not applicable" in the mileage calculator which makes it even more likely the issue reported here is a bug rather than a downgrade. Or maybe still a WIP.
ft101 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 19, 2:20 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Posts: 589
I hope it's a bug as I have some miles to spend before Dec 31 but don't want to waste them.
678flyer is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 2:44 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: EK Plat
Posts: 141
As another data point, I just successfully upgraded Y-J on two sectors at the reduced rate. The reduced rates also correctly appear when booking a ticket.
Lkaroo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread