FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Miles to upgrade now only available per flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1980134-miles-upgrade-now-only-available-per-flight.html)

BadoRas Jul 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Miles to upgrade now only available per flight

2 Attachment(s)
I notice a change in Miles Calculator, where it is now no longer possible to use miles to upgrade a multi-flight trip. Only individual flights.

For example, I used to be able to find the upgrade miles required for MEL-ADD. Now all boxes for this upgrade for all ticket types shows "not applicable". I can only find the miles required for the two component flights MEL-DXB and DXB-ADD.

This is unfortunate as previously the total trip upgrade miles were less than the sum of the upgrade miles required for each flight. This usually meant that a reduced number of miles was paid for one of the flights if the other flight was already upgraded.

Now it looks like it's only possible to upgrade one flight at a time, allowing Emirates to effectively charge more miles to upgrade multi-flight trips.

Has anyone else noticed this or have I not been paying enough attention to Emirates announcements?

ukdoctor Jul 25, 2019 2:12 pm

You are correct. I tried to calculate the LGW DEL upgrade miles needed and it wouldn't let me do it.

Haven't used miles for around 9 months and do not know if this is some new rule.

Dont remember this being mentioned on this forum before.

Hope it's a glitch .

DEL LGW used to be around 30000 miles to upgrade Y to J till a few years ago . Then it became 45.5 miles as of last year with a flex ticket .

With this it will become nearly 60k miles even with a flex ticket:-(

BadoRas Jul 25, 2019 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor (Post 31342326)
You are correct. I tried to calculate the LGW DEL upgrade miles needed and it wouldn't let me do it.

Haven't used miles for around 9 months and do not know if this is some new rule.

Dont remember this being mentioned on this forum before.

Hope it's a glitch .

DEL LGW used to be around 30000 miles to upgrade Y to J till a few years ago . Then it became 45.5 miles as of last year with a flex ticket .

With this it will become nearly 60k miles even with a flex ticket:-(

I'd be surprised if it's a glitch. I suspect it's Emirates simplifying things to their advantage.

skywardhunter Jul 25, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by BadoRas (Post 31342521)
I'd be surprised if it's a glitch. I suspect it's Emirates simplifying things to their advantage.

So someone who buys just a LGW-DXB return flight can't upgrade? Highly doubt that

EDIT: Sorry nvm, it's the other way around...

BadoRas Jul 25, 2019 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 31342548)
So someone who buys just a LGW-DXB return flight can't upgrade? Highly doubt that

EDIT: Sorry nvm, it's the other way around...

We can still upgrade single flights like LGW-DXB. What's changed is we can't take advantage of the lesser miles to upgrade a multi-flight trip, as these are no longer available.

DYKWIA Jul 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by BadoRas (Post 31342563)
We can still upgrade single flights like LGW-DXB. What's changed is we can't take advantage of the lesser miles to upgrade a multi-flight trip, as these are no longer available.

I'd really hope that this is a bug....

You never know with EK these days.

Maybe try Twatter and see if they can do the full upgrade? Or at least tell you if it's an intentional 'enhancement' :)

ft101 Jul 25, 2019 5:32 pm

I haven't tried all routes, but it's still OK on GLA-SYD and GLA-BKK, but not GLA-MEL or ADD-GLA. Very strange.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c8ab4731c0.jpg

BadoRas Jul 25, 2019 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 31343004)
I haven't tried all routes, but it's still OK on GLA-SYD and GLA-BKK, but not GLA-MEL or ADD-GLA. Very strange.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c8ab4731c0.jpg

That's weird. Maybe they are still in the process of modifying the database and haven't finished yet.

lots@LHR Aug 1, 2019 11:12 pm

I just today successfully upgraded SIN-DXB-GLA from business saver (paid) to First (miles). I paid 68,250 miles, a far cry from the 90k i'd have needed to do sectors one by one.

ft101 Aug 2, 2019 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by lots@LHR (Post 31369553)
I just today successfully upgraded SIN-DXB-GLA from business saver (paid) to First (miles). I paid 68,250 miles, a far cry from the 90k i'd have needed to do sectors one by one.

That's a route that shows up as "not applicable" in the mileage calculator which makes it even more likely the issue reported here is a bug rather than a downgrade. Or maybe still a WIP.

678flyer Aug 4, 2019 2:20 am

I hope it's a bug as I have some miles to spend before Dec 31 but don't want to waste them.

Lkaroo Aug 5, 2019 2:44 am

As another data point, I just successfully upgraded Y-J on two sectors at the reduced rate. The reduced rates also correctly appear when booking a ticket.