Seat charge

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Extra Legroom no longer free at check in

Apparently as of the 15th June, extra legroom seats cannot be requested at check in. I flew Y yesterday and the agent in MAN granted my request for an exit seat. However, at boarding my seat was changed. Once on board, the exit seat I was given at check in remained empty. The purser stated this is new policy and unless you purchase extra legroom the seats will remain empty.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Will08
Apparently as of the 15th June, extra legroom seats cannot be requested at check in. I flew Y yesterday and the agent in MAN granted my request for an exit seat. However, at boarding my seat was changed. Once on board, the exit seat I was given at check in remained empty. The purser stated this is new policy and unless you purchase extra legroom the seats will remain empty.
I also flew EK yesterday and noticed in Y that the front row seats ie those with extra legroom had headrests that were newly labelled reserved seats only or words to that effect.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:25 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
So they won't let you move post door close?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Zol
So they won't let you move post door close?
I'd expect not, though perhaps they'll offer to frequent flyers. I was offered to move to row 17 on a 3-class 77W (first row of Y) during the Gold greeting two weeks ago, may have changed since. I'd imagine if the flight is full they may still assign seats on request, else just whoever checks in last
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: EK Plat
There is a new policy in place as of 15 June. From personal experience, I flew in Y a few days ago and had booked an exit row seat. I was bemused when a cabin crew shook me awake when I was having a nap:

"Sir, is this your seat?"
"Yes, it's my seat."
"Do you know these seats are reserved?"
"Yes, I reserved it."
"I need to see your boarding pass."
"Err.. ok" Shows boarding pass.
She looks at it, then looks embarrassed, then walks off and avoids eye contact with me for the rest of the flight. Given that both the CSV and Purser had come to say hi, and she could easily have checked on her tablet, I was fairly p*ssed off given I was asleep...

EK crew received a formal update yesterday. Extracts copied below. There were over 100 replies by the crew on their portal which could generously be described as less than favourable.

"Since August 2017, extra legroom exit seats in Economy Class have been chargeable online until 6hrs before departure. From 15 June 2019, customers can pay on board for an extra legroom seat in Economy Class. "

"If a customer sits in one of these vacant extra legroom seats crew are to inform the customer that he/she is welcome to remain seated there once they pay the applicable fare. The Purser or Cabin Supervisor to complete the payment process. "

"Finally, the customer pays the full amount even if he/she moves mid-flight. "

"1. Why was this change made? Customers who had paid on line for their extra legroom seat felt it was not fair that other customer could move and sit in those seats without paying. With this change the aim is to reduce the volume of complaints and increase revenue from seat selection. "

"11. What should I do if a customer moves to an extra legroom seat and refuses to pay or return to their original seat? Explain the new process to the customer and calmly advise they have to return to either their original seat or another empty seat (not an extra legroom seat)."

Apparently they are also in the process of designing new headrest covers for these seats. Seems like a fairly pathetic money grab by EK...

Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:12 am

That's a low blow which scuppers my usual approach.

OP. What prompted them to change your seat - was it the boarding pass scan when boarding? I'd be pretty annoyed if it was me and they put me in a middle seat when I'd been expecting an exit row aisle.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
There is a new policy in place as of 15 June. From personal experience, I flew in Y a few days ago and had booked an exit row seat. I was bemused when a cabin crew shook me awake when I was having a nap:

"Sir, is this your seat?"
"Yes, it's my seat."
"Do you know these seats are reserved?"
"Yes, I reserved it."
"I need to see your boarding pass."
"Err.. ok" Shows boarding pass.
She looks at it, then looks embarrassed, then walks off and avoids eye contact with me for the rest of the flight. Given that both the CSV and Purser had come to say hi, and she could easily have checked on her tablet, I was fairly p*ssed off given I was asleep...

EK crew received a formal update yesterday. Extracts copied below. There were over 100 replies by the crew on their portal which could generously be described as less than favourable.

"Since August 2017, extra legroom exit seats in Economy Class have been chargeable online until 6hrs before departure. From 15 June 2019, customers can pay on board for an extra legroom seat in Economy Class. "

"If a customer sits in one of these vacant extra legroom seats crew are to inform the customer that he/she is welcome to remain seated there once they pay the applicable fare. The Purser or Cabin Supervisor to complete the payment process. "

"Finally, the customer pays the full amount even if he/she moves mid-flight. "

"1. Why was this change made? Customers who had paid on line for their extra legroom seat felt it was not fair that other customer could move and sit in those seats without paying. With this change the aim is to reduce the volume of complaints and increase revenue from seat selection. "

"11. What should I do if a customer moves to an extra legroom seat and refuses to pay or return to their original seat? Explain the new process to the customer and calmly advise they have to return to either their original seat or another empty seat (not an extra legroom seat)."

Apparently they are also in the process of designing new headrest covers for these seats. Seems like a fairly pathetic money grab by EK...

​​​​​​New headrest covers aptly labelled are now in place on front rows
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Lkaroo
There is a new policy in place as of 15 June. ​​​....
Thanks Lkaroo. I have a flight booked and was thinking of showing up early to request extra legroom. I guess I'll wait T-48 and just select a regular aisle seat My last trip they gave me a front row bulkhead seat which was very nice.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
​​​​​​New headrest covers aptly labelled are now in place on front rows
My fault for not being clear - the current headrest covers are temporary. Apparently "a 2nd headrest design will be used in approximately 2 months’ time".
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ft101
That's a low blow which scuppers my usual approach.

OP. What prompted them to change your seat - was it the boarding pass scan when boarding? I'd be pretty annoyed if it was me and they put me in a middle seat when I'd been expecting an exit row aisle.
This is precisely what happened. I was booked in an aisle seat second row from the front. On check in the agent moved me to an exit row seat, at my request. When my boarding pass was scanned it beeped but I knew it wasn't a 'good beep' as the flight wasn't full. I was changed to a middle seat 5 or 6 rows back. Luckily I was able to move to another aisle seat once every one was on board.

I asked what would happen on full flights or overbooked flights. The purser stated that in these instances customers could either opt to pay the extra for the exit seats or they would be placed on a different flight and the seats would remain empty. This is very hard to believe but she was adamant that this was the new rule.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:02 am

This really is a pretty pathetic move by EK.
I sure hope that they won't follow in Etihad's footsteps or else it is bye bye for me.

Emergency exit seats should always be seated by someone that can open the door in case of emergency.
​​​​​​
I fly Y but it's the 777 out of BRU so the emergency exit seats are even tighter. Twin seats are better.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by OSTflyer
This really is a pretty pathetic move by EK.
I sure hope that they won't follow in Etihad's footsteps or else it is bye bye for me.

Emergency exit seats should always be seated by someone that can open the door in case of emergency.
​​​​​​
I fly Y but it's the 777 out of BRU so the emergency exit seats are even tighter. Twin seats are better.
All exits on a 77W are staffed by qualified flight attendants, they're not like over wing exits on narrow bodies where pax are required to open them. Also row 17 is extra leg room but not an exit
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
All exits on a 77W are staffed by qualified flight attendants,
Staffed until take off and then they all bugger off to the back :P

Poor move by EK. What next? Priority toilet access for those who have paid for a higher fare?
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Staffed until take off and then they all bugger off to the back :P

Poor move by EK. What next? Priority toilet access for those who have paid for a higher fare?
I'd really hope no one opens the emergency exit after take off ..

I think it's obvious that pax with infants will still be given these seats and when a flight is completely full they will also be assigned
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:31 am
nwe

Maybe this will be the first OpUp level now?

OpUp from Y to YEmerg anyone?
ps107 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.