Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about 777 J vs A380

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Question about 777 J vs A380

Hi guys, I am planning to book a J ticket leaving from GLA to HKG on the 11th Sept to 22nd. Emirates offers A380 once a day to GLA, other times is serviced by a 777. I found a supercheap ticket @ £1900 return. However, on the return leg, I have 2 options on the DBX to GLA leg, either on the 777 or A380. I of course know the A380 offers a much better J product, one of the advantages which I appreciate would be direct Isle access. The only "problem" is that if I connect in the A380, I have an additional 6 hour transit time at DBX compared to the 777. What are your thoughts on this ? Is it worth an additional 6 hour wait to just get the A380 or is the 777 acceptable ? I assume that the 777 to GLA is serviced with one of these newly refurbished full flatbed seats right ?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Hi AceCobra,

if it's a daytime flight I'd just take the 77W. Why do you assume it's one of the newly refurbished? EK has only refurbished the 77Ls, all others are in the original configuration from delivery, mostly angled flat. There are various generations, the specific ones used vary from day to day. Direct aisle access is nice, but overrated in my opinion. If you choose the F seat you will most likely not have anyone stepping over you while also having direct aisle access, as the center group of seats (DEF) is often taken by couples (i.e. they'd be in DE and step over each other) or if not the center seat person tends to naturally step left as that's the door one enters/exits from and it seems to be the more natural direction to move.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Hi guys, I am planning to book a J ticket leaving from GLA to HKG on the 11th Sept to 22nd. Emirates offers A380 once a day to GLA, other times is serviced by a 777. I found a supercheap ticket @ £1900 return. However, on the return leg, I have 2 options on the DBX to GLA leg, either on the 777 or A380. I of course know the A380 offers a much better J product, one of the advantages which I appreciate would be direct Isle access. The only "problem" is that if I connect in the A380, I have an additional 6 hour transit time at DBX compared to the 777. What are your thoughts on this ? Is it worth an additional 6 hour wait to just get the A380 or is the 777 acceptable ? I assume that the 777 to GLA is serviced with one of these newly refurbished full flatbed seats right ?
Not worth it in my opinion. Get the shorter connection flight, unless ofcourse you want to challenge yourself on how many glasses of champagne/wine/cocktails can you down in the lounge and the A380 bar.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
+1 for it is not worth it. The lounges are not that interesting and in that time, the seat belt sign will be going on with preparations for you landing on the 777. Having said that I think J on a 777 is more like premium economy so I would be tempted to go business out economy back, but then, I am being tight this year..! (after next weeks long haul J, a380 all the way!)
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Note that the £1900 will probably be a Business Special on at least some of the legs, so no lounge access... I'd hate to be stuck for 6 hours at DXB with no lounge
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Note that the £1900 will probably be a Business Special on at least some of the legs, so no lounge access... I'd hate to be stuck for 6 hours at DXB with no lounge
some of the legs or one of the sectors??
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Will08
some of the legs or one of the sectors??
Some of the segments would be accurate. A single leg/sector can't be in a different fare brand, due to married segment logic
AceCobra1 and Will08 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, the business special is £1800 , this one is "cheap business" with lounge access @ £1900 - I will need lounge access to shower at least. However, I have the Natwest Dragonpass which offers me additional lounge access but I do not think they offer free showers so I would rather pay extra to get a free taxi plus shower.

I am just thinking which one I want to go for. I don't think CX (which is my prefered carrier) has any cheap tickets soon and definitely not £2k! Some seems to recommend Qatar but I am in 2 minds about it as will need to pay for taxi to EDI which will be about £250 return!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Some of the segments would be accurate. A single leg/sector can't be in a different fare brand, due to married segment logic
I was just being pedantic, out of boredom but your follow up answer is what I was checking, same as not being able to mix Y/J/F unless using miles. It would be useful if you could mix saver and specials though for where there is CD available for departure but not on arrival!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:06 am

Did it once myself when the A380s were new, but wouldn't recommend it. However, EK381 and EK385 (the latter via BKK) both connect to EK27 with 3 to 3.5 hour transits in DXB.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Those prices are quite good... I just checked from MAN and it's < £2000 to HKG on Business Saver. Business Special is about £120 less.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:50 am

Those prices are quite good... I just checked from MAN and it's < £2000 to HKG on Business Saver. Business Special is about £120 less.
A lot of prices ex UK came down just recently, just after I booked with Qatar for a trip later this year! EK just weren't competing.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
I've flown on the 777 to / from Glasgow and on the A380 on a connecting 12 hr flight.

I agree with Will08 that the 777 seat feels more like premium economy. The seat is angled lie flat. I had a window seat and the partition was pressing against my shoulder for the whole flight. I definitely preferred the A380 flight. The meals and the service by the crew were perfectly fine.

It's a 7 hour flight though. I don't know how much benefit you'd make of the A380 facilities. And even with lounge access, I didn't find Dubai Airport that interesting. I had a 9 hour layover and I was happy to see the boarding call for my onward flight
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by weegraeme
I've flown on the 777 to / from Glasgow and on the A380 on a connecting 12 hr flight.

I agree with Will08 that the 777 seat feels more like premium economy. The seat is angled lie flat. I had a window seat and the partition was pressing against my shoulder for the whole flight. I definitely preferred the A380 flight. The meals and the service by the crew were perfectly fine.

It's a 7 hour flight though. I don't know how much benefit you'd make of the A380 facilities. And even with lounge access, I didn't find Dubai Airport that interesting. I had a 9 hour layover and I was happy to see the boarding call for my onward flight
as much as I don’t like the 777 (old version) in J for longer flights it’s nothing like premium economy
DYKWIA, mecabq, thijsseh and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:33 pm

I don't understand the comment about the partition. The seats are two inches wider on the 777 than they are on the A380. Definitely not Premium Economy.
DYKWIA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.