Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about 777 J vs A380

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Sounds like a change to a 2 class. the EF Airport check-in only means the flight is generaly T-1 hour, are you sure you had the right date?
Yeah - they changed to a 2 class - a 6 row J. Not sure why they would do that... maybe no demand for F but it is surprisingly quite full.... I am currently "seated" on 1K but basically the whole of row 1 is available... In row 6, 6A is available... Which row is the "best" ? I guess this will be my first experience of angled flat... lol... It will either make me go with EK or move away haha... I guess I can only try ...

One thing I don't like about their seating is that I need to leep over someone if I go with the window seat which is my choice... I don't tend to need to do that when I go with BA as I get to choose their corner seat being a silver member
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
1. It's barely an angle, it doesn't bother me (I'm writing this from 9A on a 3-class 77W on EK)
2. The direct aisle thing is such a red herring. Who cares. I don't mind jumping over someone, nor do I feel bad about it. There are many positives to these configurations and people get obsessed with direct aisle.
3. In almost every respect EK is better than BA
Tanzguy, AceCobra1 and BadoRas like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

1. It's barely an angle, it doesn't bother me (I'm writing this from 9A on a 3-class 77W on EK)
2. The direct aisle thing is such a red herring. Who cares. I don't mind jumping over someone, nor do I feel bad about it. There are many positives to these configurations and people get obsessed with direct aisle.
I hope you are right

Any particular row you recommend to go for ? I assume 1A/ 6A is the best ones ?

Do we get a blanket when it goes flat ? I know there is a mattress but I don't see anyone mentioning a blanket
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
I hope you are right

Any particular row you recommend to go for ? I assume 1A/ 6A is the best ones ?

Do we get a blanket when it goes flat ? I know there is a mattress but I don't see anyone mentioning a blanket
Yes there'll definitely be a blanket. I'm not sure I'd go for row 1, proximity to the lavatory and galley can be bothersome as well as being on the bulkhead. I'd perhaps go for row 2
Tanzguy and AceCobra1 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:34 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
1. I agree that the angle is so insignificant that it’s not an issue. I have found myself slipping into the footrest on other airlines’ ‘slopey seats’, but not on the EK77W ones.
2. I personally don’t get up a lot, typically once during a long haul flight. Because of that, I don’t care that much about direct aisle access. I always choose a window seat. If I were a ‘getter upper’ as some people are, I would surely feel different and choose an aisle seat. But I don’t really like people climbing over me, so if the window seat pax was also a ‘getter upper’, I would be unhappy.
3. A significant drawback of the 77W J seat is the lack of storage space. That is so much better on the A380 (and especially for a window seat where you have a ‘private bin’ next to you.

All in all, I think the A380 sear is very much better than the 77W seat, but I would not change airlines to avoid the latter (and especially not to ‘dormitory class’ on BA).
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:31 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
To follow up, I just looked at the seat map of the 777 and it seems that they have changed the plane altogether! Business starts at row 1 so no F (total of 6 rows in J) ... how disappointing!

If I changed myself to fly earlier flight which is the A380, should I be expected to pay a change fee ?

Any ideas if row 6 which seems to be a solo row any good ?
Have you called EK to see if they will change your flight to one with F without charge as this there doing? No harm in trying.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:36 am

Many positives to the configuration ?? Fine you it is you on the window but if it was the other way round it would be another story. Just because EK is better than BA is not an excuse for a rubbish configuration
NoY and AceCobra1 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by argonath
Many positives to the configuration ?? Fine you it is you on the window but if it was the other way round it would be another story. Just because EK is better than BA is not an excuse for a rubbish configuration
Compared to some of the herringbone type configs the EK forward facing seat has better foot space, better positioning for IFE screen (and bigger screen possible), no twisting or distortion in certain positions to use the foot rest or lie flat (have had herringbone seats where I'm pressed up against one side), you're not staring someone in the face during taxy, take off and landing, it's safer in the event of a crash because you're facing in the direction of velocity and as a result there's no need to airbags in the seat belt like many herringbone configs have. They're also better suited to couples traveling together. The seats are pretty private with the divider up. Sure, direct aisle access is nice, I just think people value it disproportionately highly, it's kind of a buzz word that's been around the last 5 or 6 years and seemingly the only attribute of a business class seat people care about.
thijsseh, kq747, ps107 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Former EY frequent flyer here!
I agree with the statements expressed by Mr Hunter, I would definitely take these so-called "angled" 7 abreast seats over some sort of a vantage configuration where my leg is jammed underneath a box.
Direct aisle access is not a priority of mine, especially as my primary route (AUH-MAA) is saturated with sub-par narrow-body offerings from EY/WY (I never got the WY hype?!). By comparison, EK offer a flat-bed, a great lounge and chauffeur on both ends (soo useful in MAA).
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by thijsseh

1. I agree that the angle is so insignificant that it’s not an issue. I have found myself slipping into the footrest on other airlines’ ‘slopey seats’, but not on the EK77W ones.
2. I personally don’t get up a lot, typically once during a long haul flight. Because of that, I don’t care that much about direct aisle access. I always choose a window seat. If I were a ‘getter upper’ as some people are, I would surely feel different and choose an aisle seat. But I don’t really like people climbing over me, so if the window seat pax was also a ‘getter upper’, I would be unhappy.
3. A significant drawback of the 77W J seat is the lack of storage space. That is so much better on the A380 (and especially for a window seat where you have a ‘private bin’ next to you.

All in all, I think the A380 sear is very much better than the 77W seat, but I would not change airlines to avoid the latter (and especially not to ‘dormitory class’ on BA).
I must have had broken seats on every single business 777 seat then because my feet always feel like they are pushing down on the fold out foot rest because of the angle. As for the direct aisle access, I am fairly nimble and not fat so yes I can quite easily 'jump' over someone but it is still annoying and I am sure it is annoying for the other passenger - disturbing them watching tv, possibly make contact with them whilst they are sleeping and what about when food is served.... I often see individuals with a build that are certainly not capable of climbing over people.
NoY, AceCobra1 and weegraeme like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

So I was look at the seat map and basically all the rows with windows are occupied except row 1 and 6.

I was look at the 3D view and it looks like the TV screen is smaller compared to the other seats ? And looks like it comes out from the armrest ? Reminds me very much of PE with BA....
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:23 pm

So I was look at the seat map and basically all the rows with windows are occupied except row 1 and 6.

I was look at the 3D view and it looks like the TV screen is smaller compared to the other seats ? And looks like it comes out from the armrest ? Reminds me very much of PE with BA....
It's a bulkhead, but it should be similar size. Hardly PE, come on...
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

That sounds like the tablet and not the main TV. If you’re going to stick to the 77W flight then row six is okay. I have been in this row on a 2 Class and the only thing that was slightly negative was during boarding as it can be quite open and the majority of passengers have to pass you. Otherwise, plenty of space around you.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:38 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by argonath
100% agree. I very actively avoid any flights at all on EK B777. I would (& do) take BA B777 over EK. The rubbish EK Skywards programme pushes me even further away
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by NoY
100% agree. I very actively avoid any flights at all on EK B777. I would (& do) take BA B777 over EK. The rubbish EK Skywards programme pushes me even further away
Yes 8 across on BA is definitely better than 7 across on EK.

Add to that the renowned BA F&B and service, and you're on to a winner! With a special mention of the B777 to BKK.
Bouncingsouls likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.