Question about 777 J vs A380

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by weegraeme
I flew on EK433 BNE-SIN-DXB and then EK25 DXB-GLA last week. All legs were on a 777-300ER in J. The staff were great and the service was great. But the seat still didn't feel like a premium product. I I won't say where, for obvious reasons, but even one of the EK staff said that the 777 J wasn't a great product. Unfortunately, it was ticketed through QF, so upgrading wasn't even an option.
Couldn't agree more - had the 77W from LIS-DXB and was in 7K - thanks to the recommendations in this thread. The service was top notch but i did not find it comfortable to sleep. Had the A380 on the next leg and its a massive step up (as well as 1-2-1 seating). I would actively avoid the 777 in the future if possible.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
777 or a380 J

Have all 777-300ER’s been reconfigured in J? Trying to decide if I connect in LAX to fly the A380 or fly direct to Seattle in the 777 in J. It’s a 2 hour shorter flight, not factoring in any connection (~14 vs 16 hours).
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
No, maybe 10. A380 is a much better experience.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lake_Hood
Have all 777-300ER’s been reconfigured in J? Trying to decide if I connect in LAX to fly the A380 or fly direct to Seattle in the 777 in J. It’s a 2 hour shorter flight, not factoring in any connection (~14 vs 16 hours).
21 777-300ERs have the new J seats, but they're still configured 2-3-2.

EK has been very consistent with deploying them every day on the DXB-SEA route for the past few months.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: Skywards
Go for the A380 unless you are trying to get into F. Then, and only then is the 777 worth it. Actually, the 200LR 2-class are also beauties but those are fully committed with Porto and south american routes.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Lake_Hood
SEA has been getting the new J airframes as of late but never a guarantee.

All considered I’m an EK216 guy The LAX lounge is definitely a favorite of mine because the people working there are super cool and the food is made onsite so it tastes better.

Where are you connecting from? I might be able to give some suggestions as it’s my home EK station (SAN based)
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I hated the Emirates 777 with its 2-3-2 configuration that i ended up on from Dubai to Manchester - so much so I will go out of my way to avoid it again
mjmal51 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
LAX and enjoy the bar in the back

The old 777 will make you realize that EK only gained its reputation after introducing the 380.

Even if you get most likely the new J from SEA - the 777 won't get better and it still misses the bar in the back

Last edited by Duck1981; Aug 19, 2019 at 6:26 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by amnicoll
I hated the Emirates 777 with its 2-3-2 configuration that i ended up on from Dubai to Manchester - so much so I will go out of my way to avoid it again
Good news, EK's 7-across is world-leading and above the standard, apparently:

Originally Posted by Andriyko
The 8 across business class is the standard followed almost by all airlines these days, so that would make them all poor in your eyes.
​​​​​​​
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
​​​​​​​
May I ask you not to select-quote me and use my words out of context as a stab at cheap entertainment? That's low. Thank you.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
​​​​​​​
I wish you hadn't put that quote from the BA forum in. I'll never get that 5 minutes of my life back. What a bunch.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ft101
I wish you hadn't put that quote from the BA forum in. I'll never get that 5 minutes of my life back. What a bunch.
It's another world!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Just logged on again to check on my flights and after upgrading flight from J to F (using points), they have downgraded me lol.

When I check the "old flight schedule", the status of the flight is : Flight does not operate

I am getting this message:

Your flight schedule has changed

There’s been a change to your flight schedule. We've listed the new timings on this page. Please accept the new schedule to confirm your booking with us. If you have any issues or you'd like to decline the changes, please call your local Emirates office(Opens a new window).

There is availability on he DXB to HKG but not the GLA to DXB leg... quite annoying because I wouldn't have sent my miles to Emirates if I knew they would change the flights... I don't normally fly with them so my points are rather redundant

I tried checking expertflyer to see the seating arrangements and this is what it says "There was an error message from the airline when trying to retrieve this seat map: AIRPORT CHECKIN ONLY"

Any ideas ? Would I be able to upgrade using points if there is availability when I goto the desk ? And when I mean availability, I mean as in if 7 of the 8 seats are occupied but one remains empty, do they tend to leave it empty or allow us to grab it using points ?

Also, when they say there is changes, does that mean that they just decided to downgrade me because someone else with a higher status took my seat or something?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

To follow up, I just looked at the seat map of the 777 and it seems that they have changed the plane altogether! Business starts at row 1 so no F (total of 6 rows in J) ... how disappointing!

If I changed myself to fly earlier flight which is the A380, should I be expected to pay a change fee ?

Any ideas if row 6 which seems to be a solo row any good ?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Sounds like a change to a 2 class. the EF Airport check-in only means the flight is generaly T-1 hour, are you sure you had the right date?
AceCobra1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.