Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading LGW-DXB - taxes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Upgrading LGW-DXB - taxes?

Hi,
I have an Economy Flex fare and want to upgrade from LGW-DXB. Instead of saying no availability it says "no eligibility" and says something about taxes.
I have never seen this before - is it new?
Hoping a seat might come up but is LGW-DXB really hard to upgrade on? Flying in 5 days time.
Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: EK Gold
Hey purplevikki,

Upgrading any flight out of the UK prior to boarding the plane will incur local surcharges and taxes.
Unfortunately the only way around this is to upgrade on board - however this is only eligible for skywards tiers silver & above (I see that you're skywards blue in your profile).

As long as you're willing to pay taxes, your best bet will be to upgrade at check-in if space is available.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:16 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
In the UK, the ADP (I think that’s what it is called, basically the airport tax) is higher for any other cabin but the lowest (i.e even for premium economy where it exists). So you have to pay this additional amount prior to upgrading, unless you do it on board. If there is availability, you can phone the EK call centre and upgrade, alternatively you can try at check in (but then the availability may have disappeared)
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
In the UK, the ADP (I think that’s what it is called, basically the airport tax) is higher for any other cabin but the lowest (i.e even for premium economy where it exists). So you have to pay this additional amount prior to upgrading, unless you do it on board. If there is availability, you can phone the EK call centre and upgrade, alternatively you can try at check in (but then the availability may have disappeared)
APD. Applicable to Y-J not J-F
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:41 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
APD. Applicable to Y-J not J-F
Correct. Because both J and F are ‘not the lowest cabin’ and therefore attract the same APD.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh

Correct. Because both J and F are ‘not the lowest cabin’ and therefore attract the same APD.
Yes Just clarifying, because your wording while correct might be hard to follow in a brief read
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Let's hope EK don't follow the BA model... they've started making the surcharges for J-F a lot more than Y+--J. A straight F redemption from US-Europe return is $1900!!!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Let's hope EK don't follow the BA model... they've started making the surcharges for J-F a lot more than Y+--J. A straight F redemption from US-Europe return is $1900!!!
I don't think ME3 can sustain their current model as is. There is no domestic market in any of GCC countries, they rely purely on global economy. If there is global contraction - they all get impacted. It's about how well their business model can manage the changes in global economy. EK doesn't have any choice but to adapt their business model. Etihad has learnt this the hard way.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I don't think ME3 can sustain their current model as is. There is no domestic market in any of GCC countries, they rely purely on global economy. If there is global contraction - they all get impacted. It's about how well their business model can manage the changes in global economy. EK doesn't have any choice but to adapt their business model. Etihad has learnt this the hard way.
KSA has a decent domestic market. Etihad spent all their money on terrible airlines and I don't see redemption rip-offs that are pretty unique to BA being a necessary response to global economic contraction (which I'm not denying exists and impacts EK, but in other ways)
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
KSA has a decent domestic market. Etihad spent all their money on terrible airlines and I don't see redemption rip-offs that are pretty unique to BA being a necessary response to global economic contraction (which I'm not denying exists and impacts EK, but in other ways)
BA have adapted their business model to sustain (to a certain degree) global downturn, be it by not upgrading their interiors, not sponsoring football teams, charging for WiFi, extending the fleet use as long as possible, being creative with cleaning services, etc, etc. My point is, like it or not, ME3 will start taking some of the pointers from EU3 and maybe US3 at a stretch. Yes they will still have newer fleet, cleaner planes, better lounges at home station, but I'm sure a regular traveller of ME3 (willing to look at it objectively) will notice the differences
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:14 pm

BA have adapted their business model to sustain (to a certain degree) global downturn, be it by not upgrading their interiors, not sponsoring football teams, charging for WiFi, extending the fleet use as long as possible, being creative with cleaning services, etc, etc. My point is, like it or not, ME3 will start taking some of the pointers from EU3 and maybe US3 at a stretch. Yes they will still have newer fleet, cleaner planes, better lounges at home station, but I'm sure a regular traveller of ME3 (willing to look at it objectively) will notice the differences
which is why BA is an awful airline that many people on FT are blind to for some reason.

Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by m3red

which is why BA is an awful airline that many people on FT are blind to for some reason.

Possibly true, but if you happen to live in/near London and prefer direct flights, there isn't much choice.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:47 am

Possibly true, but if you happen to live in/near London and prefer direct flights, there isn't much choice.
There's tons of choice! There are more none-BA flight direct destinations than there are BA from the London airports.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There's tons of choice! There are more none-BA flight direct destinations than there are BA from the London airports.
Yes - in a pure sense sure. But if you're tied to a FFP then the choices get limited. And also, the destination along with preferred times steer the decision as well. I'm sure you knew that ;-)
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:00 pm

Yes - in a pure sense sure. But if you're tied to a FFP then the choices get limited. And also, the destination along with preferred times steer the decision as well. I'm sure you knew that ;-)
I agree about the FFP... but generally preferred times would be as good if not better on non-BA flights. I'd much prefer Easyjet over BA for short haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.