No more free Wifi for me in F

Old Jun 28, 19, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

No more free Wifi for me in F

I purchased a paid F ticket while logged into my Skywards account. I entered my Alaska Airlines account instead of earning my usual Skywards miles. I decided to earn Alaska Miles because I have lost Skywards miles twice in the last 3 years due to not spending them rather than inactivity. When I flew this week on my flight I asked the FA for my WiFi card. She explained that they no longer give cards, you simply enter your Skywards number on the screen. If you are in F or J it is complimentary or you are in coach you get a small nominal amount of data free and can purchase after. Entering my Skywards number did nothing, I asked for help and they said there is nothing they can do as they have no fix. I called Emirate CS when I got to DXB and they told me that I can only get free Wifi in F if I credit my miles to Skywards. Anyone have any work arounds or information on this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 9:18 pm
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Nope, you need to credit to EK
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Is it a glitch or by design?
Old Jun 28, 19, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by elusive1 View Post
Is it a glitch or by design?
I believe by design. Tbh I'm not aware of the WiFi cards but free WiFi for skywards members required your number to be on the booking. Else they don't know that you're actually on the flight just by looking at the skywards number since it's not associated to any pax on the manifest
Old Jun 29, 19, 9:32 am
Original Poster

I am not sure its unreasonable to expect that being logged in while booking is enough to identify the passenger for F benefits.
Old Jun 29, 19, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by elusive1 View Post
I am not sure its unreasonable to expect that being logged in while booking is enough to identify the passenger for F benefits.
The point is that you're crediting to AS, which incurs a cost to EK. Loyalty benefits require the FFP number on the booking. What I'm saying is that free Wifi is a loyalty benefit, not an F benefit
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 29, 19, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
The point is that you're crediting to AS, which incurs a cost to EK. Loyalty benefits require the FFP number on the booking. What I'm saying is that free Wifi is a loyalty benefit, not an F benefit
I agree that it seems to be deliberate re. recognition of Skywards, even in F or J.

If they wanted to give free Wi-Fi for passengers based on cabin class, then I'd imagine they would do what SQ does, and require you to log in with seat number and last name.
Old Jun 30, 19, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold View Post
I agree that it seems to be deliberate re. recognition of Skywards, even in F or J.

If they wanted to give free Wi-Fi for passengers based on cabin class, then I'd imagine they would do what SQ does, and require you to log in with seat number and last name.
Or give you a code like LH does.
Old Jul 1, 19, 2:10 am

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Yeah I found that out in my last flight.

I now credit my oneworld account rather rather than skyward.

Even though I am Skyward Gold I am in longer recognised and I get zero benefits. It is super annoying. They should give it to you because you are in F and not because of being a skyward member.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: UA SILVER, PP, AMEX PLAT, SPG G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select
Well it's one way for them to keep you honest to their FF system if you want free wifi on a long flight
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:09 am

It does seem a bit cheap, at least in F they could give out like 100MB free or something. Maybe limit it that you can't have another airline's FF details on your booking, but if you don't have any FF details on then it's fine and you can use the 100MB
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It does seem a bit cheap, at least in F they could give out like 100MB free or something. Maybe limit it that you can't have another airline's FF details on your booking, but if you don't have any FF details on then it's fine and you can use the 100MB
No different than hotels that only give free internet (or premium internet) if you are a member of their loyalty program.
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
No different than hotels that only give free internet (or premium internet) if you are a member of their loyalty program.
Yeah and I don't really mind, especially in Y or J I think it's good. Can't have your cake and eat it. But in F, one kind of pays for all the frills and expects not to have to depend on loyalty status for benefits, e.g. lounge, priority, etc.
Old Jul 1, 19, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Yeah and I don't really mind, especially in Y or J I think it's good. Can't have your cake and eat it. But in F, one kind of pays for all the frills and expects not to have to depend on loyalty status for benefits, e.g. lounge, priority, etc.
Agreed. I would be pretty peeved if I paid for F and had to pay for wifi.
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Agreed. I would be pretty peeved if I paid for F and had to pay for wifi.
you guys are tough customers. I don't mind. I am a Skywards Gold and pace around 8 cash sectors a year on EK F, but I like to activate two devices and it seems only one at a time can be active for free. So I end up paying for one. No big deal!

Fwiw, my most-frequent airline CX doesn't provide free WiFi for F pax at all....regardless if you're a loyal member, even their highest level members ("Diamond", which I am!) flying in cash F. Same across their fleet, at lot of which doesn't have F class. But now that I fly EK somewhat regularly, ironically (somewhat contrary to this thread)I I think how nice it would be that CX would do EK-style and give members, or at least higher-level members, free WiFi. Most of the CX fleet is WiFi enabled and is considerably faster service than EK's. It would be awesome to get it for free but they don't play that game, period!

Overall the free WiFi for Skywards is a nice benefit in my view, coming my slightly different (CX-focused) perspective, that EK provides free WiFi to Skywards members. I don't think it's a big deal that you have to enter a Skywards #. Or, if you insist on crediting to another program, just notch a ~$20 USD "service fee" for crediting elsewhere in your head if you want to use WiFi.

Search this Thread