Change to Lower Fare

Old Jun 27, 19, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, IHG Ambassador Platinum
Change to Lower Fare

I booked a Business fare a few months ago for about $6,200 and today I see the fare has dropped over $1,000 to about $5,100. So I called Emirates and asked if they could change my ticket to the lower fare. I fully expected to pay the $400 change fee but they said no! What could that be true? She said the only thing I could do was cancel it and hope for a refund and then re-book. Any ideas how I can get them to honor the lower fare? Thanks
Old Jun 28, 19, 12:52 am

What does it say if you try to make the change through "Manage a Booking" on the website?

I wouldn't seriously expect this to work, just as I would 100% have expected the response you got from Emirates when you called, but their IT is famously poor and something like this might just confuse it enough.
Old Jun 28, 19, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Most EK Fares contain a rule that you can only change to an equivalent or higher fare:

... A CHANGE IS A DATE/FLIGHT/ROUTING/BOOKING
CODE CHANGE.
... CHANGE FEE APPLIES PER PASSENGER PER
TRANSACTION.
... CHANGE FEE DOES NOT APPLY TO INFANT NOT
OCCUPYING A SEAT.
... CHD/INF WITH A SEAT DISCOUNT DOES NOT APPLY
ON THE CHANGE/REROUTING FEES.
... CHANGE IS PERMITTED WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY OF
ORIGINAL TICKET.
... CHANGES ONLY PERMITTED TO FARE OF EQUIVALENT
OR HIGHER VALUE.

... CHANGES ARE TO BE DONE BY THE ORIGNIAL
ISSUING AGENT OR EK OFFICES ONLY.
nancypants and ElJudioErrante like this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 6:03 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by big69bob View Post
She said the only thing I could do was cancel it and hope for a refund and then re-book. Any ideas how I can get them to honor the lower fare? Thanks
What do the fare rules say about a refund? It should be either refundable (presumably with a penalty) or it isn't, not 'hopefully refundable'.

If it is refundable with a penalty and that is less than the fare difference, just refund it and book the new flights.
Old Jun 28, 19, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by bpe View Post
What do the fare rules say about a refund? It should be either refundable (presumably with a penalty) or it isn't, not 'hopefully refundable'.

If it is refundable with a penalty and that is less than the fare difference, just refund it and book the new flights.
Something worth considering is that where the currency used to purchase is not the same as the traveller's home currency there is also possible exchange gain/loss to consider in refunding.

Search this Thread