Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates delays and cancelled flights

Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Can anyone shed any light on why Emirates flights recently have been delayed when leaving Uk sometimes very substantial delays, today 26th June EK 18 from Manchester was very late leaving, but the earlier flight was late to Manchester, but the flight from Heathrow and Glasgow both left very late as well, plus an EK18 flight from Manchester was cancelled completely he other day....
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oztravellerleeds
Can anyone shed any light on why Emirates flights recently have been delayed when leaving Uk sometimes very substantial delays, today 26th June EK 18 from Manchester was very late leaving, but the earlier flight was late to Manchester, but the flight from Heathrow and Glasgow both left very late as well, plus an EK18 flight from Manchester was cancelled completely he other day....
I honestly don't know, but I've been watching flights from Dubai lately and they also seem to be delayed. It could be because of the restricted airspace over Iran causing congestion on flight routes. However, that's just conjecture.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by soontobeformerexpat
I honestly don't know, but I've been watching flights from Dubai lately and they also seem to be delayed. It could be because of the restricted airspace over Iran causing congestion on flight routes. However, that's just conjecture.
Airspace congestion surely doesn't help, nor does peak summer travel, even had bad weather in Dubai over the weekend.

Since flights also avoid Syria, there's a very narrow gap between Syria and Iran flights have to squeeze through when crossing from Turkey into Iraq (which, ironically, was the previous hotspot planes avoided for a while as well). Surely doesn't help.

Having to avoid Iran adding meaningful flight time polar routes to West Coast of US, for example. Has added 30-60 mins to DXB-SFO.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Dosn't seem to be delays out/in to BHX
Usually leave 20 mins late and arrive ontime
SS
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
https://www.emirates.com/dz/english/...tes.aspx/#3461

In light of the current situation, Emirates has taken precautionary measures including rerouting all flights away from areas of possible conflict. We are carefully monitoring the ongoing developments and are in close contact with the relevant government authorities with regards to our flight operations, and will make further operational changes if the need arises.

The reroutings have minimally affected the arrival/departure timings of some flights, and we urge customers to check the latest schedules on emirates.com , so they can be informed of any flight changes. As always, the safety of our passengers, crew and aircraft is our number one priority and will not be compromised.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Skywards
I was on EK028 yesterday.

incoming was delayed 40 mins and then outgoing to dubai was delayed due to a technical delay.

the entire electrical unit has to be switched off for the aircraft for 20 minutes and all doors hd to bw opened for ventilation (see attached pic).

ICE was down for the entire flight for the whole duration, as were the charging units.

Shocking service, perhaps new crew on training.

it was delayed for 2 hours, most pax missed their onward connections as did i and currently sat in Dubai waiting for my connection. In fairness, they did give me a hotel (but this would be expected considering my new flight was 24 hours later)

Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
I was on EK028 yesterday.

incoming was delayed 40 mins and then outgoing to dubai was delayed due to a technical delay.

the entire electrical unit has to be switched off for the aircraft for 20 minutes and all doors hd to bw opened for ventilation (see attached pic).

ICE was down for the entire flight for the whole duration, as were the charging units.

Shocking service, perhaps new crew on training.

it was delayed for 2 hours, most pax missed their onward connections as did i and currently sat in Dubai waiting for my connection. In fairness, they did give me a hotel (but this would be expected considering my new flight was 24 hours later)
Surely, that's got to qualify for EC261 compensation as well and since UK based, the UK supreme court ruling for connections make it comparatively easier.
S c 0 TT y likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Surely, that's got to qualify for EC261 compensation as well and since UK based, the UK supreme court ruling for connections make it comparatively easier.
the flight was scheduled to leave at 14:35 but left at approx 16:39. Isnt there a time of a minimum of 3 hours not involved for ec261?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It's the arrival time that counts. You arrived 24 hours late, so you should get €600.
S c 0 TT y and Dambus like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:44 am

the flight was scheduled to leave at 14:35 but left at approx 16:39. Isnt there a time of a minimum of 3 hours not involved for ec261?
As DYKWIA pointed out, it's the arrival time and more precise the time doors were opened. Anything over 4 hours it is 600 Euros. You're well beyond that limit at this point :-)
S c 0 TT y likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:55 am

Nice, does that even apply if the ticket was purchased from a hong kong based travel agent and NOT a UK based one?

apologies for going off tangent.

Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:00 am

Nice, does that even apply if the ticket was purchased from a hong kong based travel agent and NOT a UK based one?

Point of sale is irrelevant, only point of departure
S c 0 TT y likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:01 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

It depends on where your journey started and how late your arrival was at your final destination. Nothing to do with where you bought the ticket.

S
S c 0 TT y likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:05 am

No, only point of departure matters
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Oztravellerleeds
Looking at EK18 over the last couple of weeks, there was 1 cancellation and 1 delay of around 45 minutes. Hardly a regular occurrence...

Looking at the cancelled flight, it looks like it went tech at MAN, and flew back to DXB the following day as flight EK2502.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.