Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Does buying Skyward Miles protect existing miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.

I got an email notifying me that some of my miles will expire in a few months.
I was just about to go buy some more to protect them (like you can on BA or Virgin) and then released that they miles seem to have an age limit, not the account.

I assume buying more wont protect the miles that are about to expire?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Miles expire after three years. It doesn't matter how much you fly EK, use its partners to get miles or buy miles.

One of the many reasons why Skywards is one of the least rewarding programmes out there, in my opinion.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by cargueiro
Miles expire after three years. It doesn't matter how much you fly EK, use its partners to get miles or buy miles.

One of the many reasons why Skywards is one of the least rewarding programmes out there, in my opinion.
It's not one of the most rewarding programmes, but equally not one of the least, IMHO..

Anyway, just wanted to add they expire 3 years after they're earned in your birthday month, not exactly 3 years from earning. So if you birthday is in November and you earn miles this month they expire in November 2022
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: MR rewards
Buy new ticket or upgrade any recent ticket well keep your miles for extra year after expired ..!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by npturner
I assume buying more wont protect the miles that are about to expire?
As m3red pointed out recently, you can now pay to extend the life of the miles for a year. Very expensive though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.