Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: extramileage
From around the 10th of June 2019 it has been observed that Emirates is marketing a new fare brand "Business Special". The introduction of a new fare bucket on the GDS with identifier "H" was first observed by m3red several weeks prior, speculation was that this might relate to Premium Economy. This fare bucket appears, however, to be intended for deep discount Business Class.

Restrictions:
- no chauffeur drive
- "restricted" seat selection (per website: "Complimentary for all passengers choosing a seat after check-in opens. Emirates Skywards Platinum members can select a seat any time")
- no lounge access
- no ability at all to upgrade with miles

Skywards:
- Earns at the same rates as Y Flex Plus
- Cannot redeem miles to book this fare brand
- Cannot upgrade with miles from J Special to F in any circumstances
Print Wikipost

New Business Class Fare Bucket

Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not sure how it is Emirates's fault if your travel agent doesn't know what it is selling ; if you go directly to Emirates to make the purchase, is it not easy to tell online whether it is a light fare or not?
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:04 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
There is indeed another thread on this, but to your question - any agency should know how to identify these fares. If they're sold in your market, basic business fares are likely 'H' class.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:28 am

I agree that this new pricing policy is detrimental to EK. Lots of people, if not most, buy tickets from a travel agent. To stay competitive agents will probably book J tickets in the cheapest available fare bucket, unaware that there are differences. When passengers get at the airport and find out they don’t have lounge access they’ll certainly blame it on EK, not their travel agent.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You need a better TA...
TBD likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not sure how it is Emirates's fault if your travel agent doesn't know what it is selling ; if you go directly to Emirates to make the purchase, is it not easy to tell online whether it is a light fare or not?
I was clear to say that I did not think it was Emirates fault but I bet the disgruntled passengers will blame the airline not the agents and hence the hit on reputation.However I would be concerned if I was them that intending passengers are potentially being mislead. After all lets face it the chauffeur is now a real USP for Emirates and on this trip had it not been available (for at least my first leg out of Manchester) I would not have been flying Emirates as can not reach the airport using public transport for the morning departure

However T&Cs should be made clear before purchase not after. As far as I could see on the dates I was traveling the only fares in business class were the saver flex and flex + which as far as I am aware qualify for the full service which suggests that these " Business Class Special fares" might only be sold through third parties and perhaps they should be sold better branded.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by amnicoll
However T&Cs should be made clear before purchase not after. As far as I could see on the dates I was traveling the only fares in business class were the saver flex and flex + which as far as I am aware qualify for the full service which suggests that these " Business Class Special fares" might only be sold through third parties and perhaps they should be sold better branded.
Business Specials are not only for TA bookings. They show up on the EK site also. On the EK site is states exactly what you get,
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

You need a better TA...
Indeed.

However many people buy on line and even those with better reputations like Opodo.co.uk their customer service people misinformed me(mind you I am not so sure about their reputation when they try and charge for seat reservations in business class that the airline do for free)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
. . . . . even those with better reputations like Opodo.co.uk their customer service people misinformed me(mind you I am not so sure about their reputation when they try and charge for seat reservations in business class that the airline do for free)
Opodo lost any good reputation they might have had many years ago.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
I checked on random mid week dates in Feb BHX/BKK and it was only £100 less for Special over Saver , with no Lounge,no Chauffeur and only free seating after check-in opens.
No thanks
SS
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:17 am

the fares I was checking in March returning May had no specials on the Emirates pages but many of the agencies were selling them without any warning indeed not even aware of the restrictions. I did myself find a good price with an agency for the saver fare (and have booked the chauffeur and seats so confident I have the right product )
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Angry

Just checked MAN-MRU fares and the saver I booked for September at under £2500 is now £2773. The special is £2573 so a jump of £200. The old saver price is now the special price. So a way to up prices.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by daisymay2
Just checked MAN-MRU fares and the saver I booked for September at under £2500 is now £2773. The special is £2573 so a jump of £200. The old saver price is now the special price. So a way to up prices.
agreed - we are off to Mru 16-23 August
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by m3red

agreed - we are off to Mru 16-23 August
We are off September! Where are you staying this time?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
shangri la again
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:16 pm

Noticed the new Business Special fares on UK to Far East flights today. £50 less than the Saver fares in one direction. A taxi to the airport would be £50 plus for me so unlikely I'll use them at that price difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.