Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: extramileage
From around the 10th of June 2019 it has been observed that Emirates is marketing a new fare brand "Business Special". The introduction of a new fare bucket on the GDS with identifier "H" was first observed by m3red several weeks prior, speculation was that this might relate to Premium Economy. This fare bucket appears, however, to be intended for deep discount Business Class.

Restrictions:
- no chauffeur drive
- "restricted" seat selection (per website: "Complimentary for all passengers choosing a seat after check-in opens. Emirates Skywards Platinum members can select a seat any time")
- no lounge access
- no ability at all to upgrade with miles

Skywards:
- Earns at the same rates as Y Flex Plus
- Cannot redeem miles to book this fare brand
- Cannot upgrade with miles from J Special to F in any circumstances
Print Wikipost

New Business Class Fare Bucket

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Not really. At many airports I can get into a Diners club lounge. Others have Priority pass. Better to save some money and forego the lounge in that case.
That works until a contract lounges reach capacity and starts denying access (thread 1, thread 2), or charging reservation fees (external link). If many of the business class travelers are now joining the economy and PE passengers in already-crowded lounges, it could reach a tipping point.

I also feel like business class cabins aren't shopped by the same nickle-and-dime customer as economy. I'm not saying I don't sort fares low-to-high, but I will consider the overall experience and elite programs before selecting my flight even if it costs a more (such as choosing DL/AF over BA for my July flight so I don't need to pay seat fees, and even choosing my route based on avoiding DL's 767). And the actual business travelers probably have budget guidance that aren't picky to the $100s digit on a multi thousand dollar fare. My point is, yes this will save some people money, but I still would prefer them to just raise the price $50 per direction and be done with it.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
I also feel like business class cabins aren't shopped by the same nickle-and-dime customer as economy. I'm not saying I don't sort fares low-to-high, but I will consider the overall experience and elite programs before selecting my flight even if it costs a more (such as choosing DL/AF over BA for my July flight so I don't need to pay seat fees, and even choosing my route based on avoiding DL's 767). And the actual business travelers probably have budget guidance that aren't picky to the $100s digit on a multi thousand dollar fare. My point is, yes this will save some people money, but I still would prefer them to just raise the price $50 per direction and be done with it.
If corporate travel agencies simply price using the lowest fare in the cabin class, then EK will just be leaving money on the table while angering potential loyal customers. I can't imagine that EK is that desperate for market share.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:10 pm

Anybody checked out EK's mileage calculator? According to it, the new fare will earn far less redeemable and tier miles than reported on the blogs!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by lipsum
Anybody checked out EK's mileage calculator? According to it, the new fare will earn far less redeemable and tier miles than reported on the blogs!
Less than Y Flex Plus?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Less than Y Flex Plus?
Yes, that's the point. Substantially less than Y Flex Plus.

Thus far, I've only seen the blog reports, no official statement from EK. So it's unclear to me whether the blogs are reporting it wrong or there is some bug in EK's mileage calculator.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:51 pm

Thus far, I've only seen the blog reports, no official statement from EK. So it's unclear to me whether the blogs are reporting it wrong or there is some bug in EK's mileage calculator.
From what I see it's the same. from the Skywards calculator on the EK website. Was checking miles in Y on BOM-JNB for a routing I have coming up and looking at J Special it's the same as Y Flex Plus. Where do you see that it's less, which route and what are the values you see?

Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:53 pm

As for the blogs, they're plagiarising this very thread, I'd not give them the time of day, don't bother even reading them
thijsseh, m3red and extramileage like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
For those who care about these things, this is the scale for Tier Miles.

The "Zone Base" is miles that approximate destination, grouped by zone. DXB to Western Europe, for example, is 3,000 miles, regardless of whether its Rome or London.

DYKWIA, thijsseh, m3red and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:37 pm

Congrats all, we made front page and #1 on the carousel!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: EK G̶o̶l̶d̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ 'boarding zone F', IHG
This sounds very similar to the Friends and Family-type fares available for EK employees for at least the last few years. A couple of my family have travelled on tickets obtained from a friend on EK staff; the restrictions were identical and it sounds like the pricing was too.

From memory their reservation confirmation / online bookings stated Business Special, so I guess they are now offering it to the general public.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
i dont understand why you are moaning, just buy the normal business fare as usual.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ashivraj
This sounds very similar to the Friends and Family-type fares available for EK employees for at least the last few years. A couple of my family have travelled on tickets obtained from a friend on EK staff; the restrictions were identical and it sounds like the pricing was too.

From memory their reservation confirmation / online bookings stated Business Special, so I guess they are now offering it to the general public.
They're not really the same. Those fares are priced per segment and have extremely low base cost, but get expensive when you connect through DXB on a 4-sefment itinerary. They're great if you just need to go one way or just to/from DXB and back. I have access to such fares but due to my routing they're not of any use to me
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Of course, in the related thread, you can reference the cash Business upgrades offered at check-in. This is really the same benefits of that fare.

-No CD to/from airport
-No advanced seat assignment (you are already within the check-in window to take your seat assignment from remaining options just like this fare)
-No extra miles accrual
-No lounge access

I see this fare being targeted the same, each flight and date can be tracked for how many cash upgrades have sold/can be sold. Therefore, EK can just offer those fares earlier in the process and perhaps better fill the plane (with even less op-ups). Ironically, I would be happy with an option where I can skip the alcohol which I feel is what EK is charging for to inflate the price of these tickets. Sure, I know that is hard to enforce.

I think the outstation lounge prohibition is the worst of it especially because I do feel onboard ULH business meals are not very premium anymore. I liberally use the hot light bites items available. So, I think we are getting down to paying for a nice seat and those who want free flowing alcohol.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm in the camp of neutral with this change -- it all depends on the pricing. I usually have lounge access with my Amex Plat or Priority Pass card, I don't care much about seat selection, and I can arrange my own ground transportation. I'll do all of that if the price is right.
NoY likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by GodAtum
i dont understand why you are moaning, just buy the normal business fare as usual.
Many of us whose employers fund our travel unfortunately can't decide the fare bucket.
ElJudioErrante likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.