Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: extramileage
From around the 10th of June 2019 it has been observed that Emirates is marketing a new fare brand "Business Special". The introduction of a new fare bucket on the GDS with identifier "H" was first observed by m3red several weeks prior, speculation was that this might relate to Premium Economy. This fare bucket appears, however, to be intended for deep discount Business Class.

Restrictions:
- no chauffeur drive
- "restricted" seat selection (per website: "Complimentary for all passengers choosing a seat after check-in opens. Emirates Skywards Platinum members can select a seat any time")
- no lounge access
- no ability at all to upgrade with miles

Skywards:
- Earns at the same rates as Y Flex Plus
- Cannot redeem miles to book this fare brand
- Cannot upgrade with miles from J Special to F in any circumstances
Print Wikipost

New Business Class Fare Bucket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
No lounge access on a business class ticket is as chintzy as British Airways charging for seat-assignments in business class. To me, some things are just expected based on the majority of airline business class products (since airport transportation isn't on that list, I don't begrudge that loss). I guess elites won't care (just as they don't care on BA re: seats), and people with Priority Pass might care less, but it does mean Emirates is delivering an inferior product now in some aspects (in contrast to how the car transport was added to it being a superior product).
agreed - Hopefully Ek won’t go down the low cost carrier route like BA.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
This is a terrible development - the airport transportation in India saves me a lot of headaches. I don't speak the language(s) so Uber is usually out since they expect a phone call from you (weird, but it's the custom there).

Does anyone have a live (with availability) example of this? I want to see if my corporate travel agent's site hides these, just like it hides basic economy fares.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
This is a terrible development - the airport transportation in India saves me a lot of headaches. I don't speak the language(s) so Uber is usually out since they expect a phone call from you (weird, but it's the custom there).

Does anyone have a live (with availability) example of this? I want to see if my corporate travel agent's site hides these, just like it hides basic economy fares.
Uber sucks big time at HYD. I've recently discovered Ola to be much better as they have a queue of waiting cars and you use the app to put in your trip, get into the first car in the queue and give him a one time pin from your app which he types in to start the trip and see the Destination. Zero wait time and so much simpler. Unfortunately need to pay cash though
Metanoia likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by m3red

agreed - Hopefully Ek won’t go down the low cost carrier route like BA.
EK are offering OW Y fares India to DXB for around 105-110 USD to compete with the LCC on those (3-4 hr) routes who are a few bucks cheaper. And EK recently introduced... quietly lower RT Y fares from European gateways to DXB.
The EK fares include luggage and F/B

​​​​​​EK have been forced to join BA as a partial LCC.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
No lounge access on a business class ticket is as chintzy as British Airways charging for seat-assignments in business class. To me, some things are just expected based on the majority of airline business class products (since airport transportation isn't on that list, I don't begrudge that loss). I guess elites won't care (just as they don't care on BA re: seats), and people with Priority Pass might care less, but it does mean Emirates is delivering an inferior product now in some aspects (in contrast to how the car transport was added to it being a superior product).
Not really. At many airports I can get into a Diners club lounge. Others have Priority pass. Better to save some money and forego the lounge in that case.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Not really. At many airports I can get into a Diners club lounge. Others have Priority pass. Better to save some money and forego the lounge in that case.
You'd be surprised how many people do not have a credit card that grants them lounge access. Aside from just not knowing which cards to get, or caring about this benefit enough for it to lead them to that card, many countries don't have any or many cards with such benefits. In South Africa I only recently was able to get a card (not credit, incidentally, a debit card) which offers me international lounge access through Visa Signature and LoungeKey.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You'd be surprised how many people do not have a credit card that grants them lounge access. Aside from just not knowing which cards to get, or caring about this benefit enough for it to lead them to that card, many countries don't have any or many cards with such benefits. In South Africa I only recently was able to get a card (not credit, incidentally, a debit card) which offers me international lounge access through Visa Signature and LoungeKey.
And then of course (and I’m a bit surprised it has not been mentioned yet) there is the issue of the ‘quality’ of the lounge offering. Wherever I have been (talking about outstations here), the EK own lounge has been very significantly better than the contract lounges at the same airport. I have never had to use the Marhaba lounge at DXB, but I have been reliably told it’s disappointing. And before someone points this out to me: yes, I’m aware that $100 (plus VAT in DXB) gets you into an EK lounge.
Andreaswil likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh

And then of course (and I’m a bit surprised it has not been mentioned yet) there is the issue of the ‘quality’ of the lounge offering. Wherever I have been (talking about outstations here), the EK own lounge has been very significantly better than the contract lounges at the same airport. I have never had to use the Marhaba lounge at DXB, but I have been reliably told it’s disappointing. And before someone points this out to me: yes, I’m aware that $100 (plus VAT in DXB) gets you into an EK lounge.
Yep, though at some stations where EK doesn't have lounges the EK lounges is the same as the contract offering
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
EK are offering OW Y fares India to DXB for around 105-110 USD to compete with the LCC on those (3-4 hr) routes who are a few bucks cheaper. And EK recently introduced... quietly lower RT Y fares from European gateways to DXB.

It was probably inevitable given EK's primary market (at least in terms of margin) has seen its currency drop so spectacularly against USD/AED!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Is this new J Special aimed at particular markets? I've not seen it yet on my searches from MAN, and prices seem to the same on the J Savers,
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Is this new J Special aimed at particular markets? I've not seen it yet on my searches from MAN, and prices seem to the same on the J Savers,
I was looking at ex-DXB which, in any case, is priced so much F*ín higher than anywhere else to begin with.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
I was looking at ex-DXB which, in any case, is priced so much F*ín higher than anywhere else to begin with.
The last market any carrier wants to discount its premium seats is its homeground.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante

I was looking for a friend the other day and it was getting out of control, HYD-DXB r/t for almost $550. AI was $400, Indigo about the same. We wanted to bring a friend out to DXB for the weekend but at $550... I would have loved to have gotten those fares.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia
I was looking for a friend the other day and it was getting out of control, HYD-DXB r/t for almost $550. AI was $400, Indigo about the same. We wanted to bring a friend out to DXB for the weekend but at $550... I would have loved to have gotten those fares.
From what I see there's lots of availibilty (showing), one has to buy in advance and be flexible of course.
EK will almost match the LCC fares however they will also try to match the availability too.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:30 am

Anyone have specific city pairs and dates? I want to see if my company's travel site will show these terrible fares...
Bouncingsouls likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.