FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   EK loads in 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1973341-ek-loads-2019-a.html)

sydtogla Jun 9, 2019 7:46 pm

EK loads in 2019

There’s been some talk about runway renovations being due to reduced loads. I’ve heard one or two say that any work is just a bit of a saving face because loads are down. I can’t say for sure if that’s the case, not that I’m an authority but...

im currently in the A F lounge and it’s packed downstairs. The AU flights are all chocked, had a full J cabin yesterday and I’ve heard from lounge staff in SYD that this was their busiest Ramadan season.

A FA on board told me that the staff were not told about renovations but they have been given some unpaid leave because loads are lighter and the schedule is reduced especially across Europe.

My flight today has 3 in F and 14 in J. On Wednesday back from GLA it is the same if not lighter.

Who has wisdom on the lower loads? DWC is like a car park!

skywardhunter Jun 9, 2019 9:26 pm

Flights have been mostly full in my observation. A couple lighter ones in April where I snagged an empty seat but not super light. This week both my flights were oversold.

April & May are the lightest months, for most airlines. It was announced that this was a major part of the reason for the runway works taking place when they did. Runway project had been planned for years and I'm quite sure has nothing to do with EK loads being low. Keep in mind they are carried out by Dubai Airports and this kind of work is genuinely required every so often. The runway may also have suffered additional wear and tear following the 77W crash landing a few years ago

eternaltransit Jun 12, 2019 5:05 am

Loads last year were poor - passenger seat factor 76.8%, down from 77.5%, and in terms of raw capacity, 66.8% against a breakeven load factor of 66.4%.

As aircraft deliveries slow and DWC gets more full up, you'll see those numbers get more flattered and your seats more full, but the really their issue seems to be bad timing on top of a slowdown in pax - jet fuel creeping up, pax numbers not increasing enough to cover capacity, and a massive increase in debt service effective costs from 300bp to 400bp.

That's more of a digression though to the question of loads - 70-80% whilst that looks "full" to us, is really not good enough for the airline!

JTXC Jun 14, 2019 2:45 am

I am in the F lounge in the A concourse at the moment, and it is a ghost town in here. I know that mid-day is not the busiest, but it is much more quiet than I remember in past years. I note also far fewer staff.

DYKWIA Jun 14, 2019 2:52 am

Originally Posted by JTXC (Post 31201684)
I am in the F lounge in the A concourse at the moment, and it is a ghost town in here. I know that mid-day is not the busiest, but it is much more quiet than I remember in past years. I note also far fewer staff.

It's always quiet in the F lounges during the day (IME). Even the J lounge in the A concourse always seem quiet.

skywardhunter Jun 14, 2019 3:12 am

Mid-day is by far the quietest time of the day, between 11am and 4pm you can feel like you have the lounge to yourself, DXB has been this way forever, I remember in the old days (5-6 years ago) before I had status I once had a 17h transit in DXB on a Y ticket, no lounge access, and needed a visa to enter the country. Got to know the concourses well and saw first hand who quiet things got. Suddenly all kinds of cleaning crews appear and important looking emiratis with entourages started inspecting things

ElJudioErrante Jun 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Yes... Quieter than "normal", that's what I notice.
​​​

JTXC Jun 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Could it be due to Eid having just taken place, so there is a temporary 'sip' in travellers. I am used to being in DXB mid-day since I often take 903 DXB-AMM, but this was indeed the quietest I have ever seen it apart from when the runway works occurred in 2014: I was on the only person in the B concourse F Lounge for several hours.