Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

DXB Southern Runway Restoration Project 2019

Old May 20, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat

Will be interesting to see how many frames are parked at DWC after they finish up with the runway restoration project.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Will be interesting to see how many frames are parked at DWC after they finish up with the runway restoration project.
Has any FTer actually seen with their own eyes... The DXB runway restoration project happening?
Old May 22, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
Has any FTer actually seen with their own eyes... The DXB runway restoration project happening?
Not I, but on FlightRadar24 only ground vehicles inhabit 12R/30L currently.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Runway work at DXB

Is there any update on whether the repair work on the runway is on schedule. Will normal operations resume on 1 June?
Old May 22, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC
Is there any update on whether the repair work on the runway is on schedule. Will normal operations resume on 1 June?
Has it even started?
Old May 22, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC
They're usually on time with runway work so 2-runway operations will most likely resume by 1st June.

Has it even started?
Yes it has. It started back in April.
​​​​​
Tanzguy likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Gold. Hilton Gold, EK Platinum
Work looks to be going well, at least that is my opinion looking out of the window of my flights a couple of weeks ago!
Tanzguy likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by hazban
Work looks to be going well, at least that is my opinion looking out of the window of my flights a couple of weeks ago!
It would be great to see pic(s) of that.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
It would be great to see pic(s) of that.
I took some photos mid April shortly after it started, planned to upload here but didn't get around to it, see below.

Old May 23, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I wonder if the crash of the small plane last week will delay completion as it appeared to be part of the project.

According the Gulf News "UK-based Flight Calibration Services Limited (FCSL) are believed to be the company that owned and operated the aircraft as they had announced in November that they had won the contract to help calibrate navigation systems at Dubai Airport during runway renovation works."
Old May 23, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The calibration coincided with the runway work, but it's not clear that the one depends on the other. I wonder if they were calibrating the ILS or maybe due to the runway work and reduced air traffic were scheduled during the work but otherwise unrelated, e.g. calibrating secondary radar or VORs or something else.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:41 pm

Just one.

A6-EOB, which is being used for training purposes.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:10 am

The "runway restoration project" has not happened nor was going to happen. It is concocted news to disguise the fact that hard economic times have reduced load factors. Ramadan of course means even less pax. I've used DXB 12 times since the start of the so called RRP, and have seen no works, I have seen however a lot less pax arriving, departing, and transmitting than usual during quiet Ramadan. Any photos have been taken of equipment to support the so called news. In confidence those in the know working at DXB will confirm this.
It's widely discussed topic in Dubai.
At DWC there's a growing museum of parked EK frames.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by murtaza12
Just one.

A6-EOB, which is being used for training purposes.
I believe A6-EDI is still in DWC.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:39 am

The "runway restoration project" has not happened nor was going to happen. It is concocted news to disguise the fact that hard economic times have reduced load factors. Ramadan of course means even less pax. I've used DXB 12 times since the start of the so called RRP, and have seen no works
They went through all the effort to make these videos as well?

I have seen however a lot less pax arriving, departing, and transmitting than usual
Isn't that just because there were reductions in flights?

At DWC there's a growing museum of parked EK frames.
All but 2 aircraft returned to service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.