DXB-CMN vs CMN-DXB flight time difference

Old May 20, 19, 12:09 am
Original Poster

DXB-CMN vs CMN-DXB flight time difference

I was just looking at some possible bookings for DXB-CMN-DXB and looks like DXB-CMN is 9 hrs 50 mins, but CMN-DXB is only 6 hrs 25 mins - that's a 3.5 hour difference with the same aircraft and airlines! I haven't seen such difference in flight time on a return ticket, even on the 12-13 hr flights.

For comparison, DXB-LIS is 8 h 15 mins, LIS-DXB is 7 hrs 50 mins...25 mins difference.

How is this possible?
Old May 20, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Where are you getting 9h 50m from?
Old May 20, 19, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kq747 View Post
Where are you getting 9h 50m from?
Emirates...where else?

Old May 20, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I had done quick searches on Google flights and flightaware earlier and the times for June and December about 8h50 and 7h30 which is why I asked. I guess winter (north) headwinds are at play in Feb which is well documented across the Atlantic but I guess also affects these flights too?
Old May 20, 19, 10:30 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Had something similar on a PEK-DXB leg where the flight was more or less what the block time was at around 8.5/9 hours and this was after ground time. In comparison to the block time DXB-PEK which was around 7.5 hours but flight was usually less than 7. Fairly strong headwinds going East to West at that time (sure it was Northern winter).

S
Old May 24, 19, 4:38 pm

Are we going to ignore that EK is charging AED 60,000+ for a return flight to Casablanca in First? What is happening.
Old May 26, 19, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by RJA321 View Post
Are we going to ignore that EK is charging AED 60,000+ for a return flight to Casablanca in First? What is happening.
Good point !

15 x the Y class fare does seem rather steep !
Old May 27, 19, 12:06 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
And there is a good reason for that if you know the demographic and socioeconomic split of those travelling that route ……..
Old May 27, 19, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB View Post
And there is a good reason for that if you know the demographic and socioeconomic split of those travelling that route ..
Now I'm curious! Please elaborate for us who don't know the demographic and socioeconomic split of those travelling that route!
Old May 27, 19, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by ktosayev View Post
Now I'm curious! Please elaborate for us who don't know the demographic and socioeconomic split of those travelling that route!
Morocco is poor country, little front of the bus traffic originating there. Most Moroccans would be flying in Y because they work in gulf. The fare in J ex Morocco has to be appealing ex Morocco to attract interest there.
​​​
Gulf wealthy native tourists however like to go to Morocco as its attractive for them as an exotic location in the Islamic world. Hence the fare difference.
Old May 28, 19, 1:48 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
Morocco is poor country, little front of the bus traffic originating there. Most Moroccans would be flying in Y because they work in gulf. The fare in J ex Morocco has to be appealing ex Morocco to attract interest there.
​​​
Gulf wealthy native tourists however like to go to Morocco as its attractive for them as an exotic location in the Islamic world. Hence the fare difference.
Quite correct, also has to be noted that while Morocco provides guest workers just like India or Egypt, the split is much different among the workers. There are very few minimum wage workers, but also very few rich businessmen. Indian or other expat communities have a much greater disparity in the incomes of its expats in DXB

Search this Thread