Concerned about my carry-on weight

Old Apr 11, 19, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Concerned about my carry-on weight

Hello,

I'll be flying emirates for the first time, and I have been hearing about strict enforcement on carry-on 7kg weight limit. The contents are mostly my camera gears and laptop. I usually have everything in a roller bag, but for this trip, I'll bring a backpack to spread the weight. I just checked the weight of each bag and it came out: backpack 7kg and roller bag 9kg.

I'll be flying in business class. Outward: Bangkok to Barcelona (connecting in Dubai) and Return: Dubai to Bangkok.

For those who fly frequently with Emirates, do they usually give you a hard time with carry-on weight or do they let go slightly over weight bags? Should I leave more things behind to keep all bags under 7kg?

Thank you
Old Apr 11, 19, 3:01 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
The way to alleviate your concern is to comply with the published rules and reduce the weight of the roller bag to 7kgs
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Apr 11, 19, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
None of us can say for sure what will happen on the day.
Old Apr 11, 19, 3:09 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I have flown a lot of sectors with EK in F and J and never had an issue with carry ons being weighed. On one occassion however (Brisbane) they were very strict with J class customers but not bothered with F. You will probably be OK but if it looks as though that won't be the case why not put a camera body and lens around your neck (or even in coat pockets) at check in and then repack your bag once you have left the desk?

Or do as advised above....
Old Apr 11, 19, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks. If it comes to that I'll do around my neck thing. I have never ever being weighed my carryons on any airlines before so this will be the first experience for me. I already cut my gear to 2/3 and I just realized I forgot to put my laptop in the bag and bunch of small things. Looks like I have to lose another big lens and backup body, but both bags will most likely going to be slightly over weight by a kilo or so.
Old Apr 11, 19, 4:10 am

I've had carry-ons weighed by Emirates in a few airports, Bangkok being one of them.
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:22 am

Programs: Skywards
I've never had problems with carry-on's. On the few occasions I have been asked to put it on the belt at check-in so they can apply a tag - and I tend to be over 7kg as I have a hardcase trolley bag (which is mostly full) and my laptop bag attached to the hand rail of the trolley bag.

All in all, I am sure its about 11-13kg I tend to get away with every time but I know what to dispose of in the event of being challenged.
Sitti likes this.
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
I've had carry-ons weighed by Emirates in a few airports, Bangkok being one of them.
They normally ask to see the bags at MAN check-in. I guess they'd only weigh them if they look massive.
Sitti likes this.
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Isn't the limit in J still 7kgs (total), even though you're allowed a 2nd item? In Y it's just one item. That being said I regularly travel with 2 carry-ons in Y, recently my rollaboard alone weighed 14kg. I was weighed on the onward flight on Indigo and they briefly tried to cause a fuss but then let me through. In J on EK you'll rarely have any issue however.
Sitti likes this.
Old Apr 11, 19, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thank for more replies guys. Now I feel more relaxed. Sounds like it's not as strict as I had imagined. I have decided I'm going to take backup body with me after all (what's the point of having it if I don't take it with me). Now the weight of my roller bag is 10~11kg.

And I forgot to mention about I'm traveling with 4 people, all in business class, and we are all in the same one booking. The other three's carry-ons are definitely under weight about half of limit. If they try cause some fuss about my roller bag, then do you think if I were to tell them I'm going to remove some items and put them in others' bags, they'll let us through without further trouble? Since accident can happen anytime, I don't want to put expensive lenses that each costs a few thousands in unprotected bag at any moment. I want them to remain in my protected roller bag all the time unless I really have to remove them.
Old Apr 11, 19, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sitti View Post
Thank for more replies guys. Now I feel more relaxed. Sounds like it's not as strict as I had imagined. I have decided I'm going to take backup body with me after all (what's the point of having it if I don't take it with me). Now the weight of my roller bag is 10~11kg.

And I forgot to mention about I'm traveling with 4 people, all in business class, and we are all in the same one booking. The other three's carry-ons are definitely under weight about half of limit. If they try cause some fuss about my roller bag, then do you think if I were to tell them I'm going to remove some items and put them in others' bags, they'll let us through without further trouble? Since accident can happen anytime, I don't want to put expensive lenses that each costs a few thousands in unprotected bag at any moment. I want them to remain in my protected roller bag all the time unless I really have to remove them.
​​​​​Yep you'll be fine
Blueblood likes this.
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, Free Agent
Our little travel group has morphed to vests to get around some of the weird weight issues. Depending on the vest, you can put some pretty heavy lenses etc in those pockets. They arent stylish, but they get the job done.
Old Apr 12, 19, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by boerne View Post
Our little travel group has morphed to vests to get around some of the weird weight issues. Depending on the vest, you can put some pretty heavy lenses etc in those pockets. They arent stylish, but they get the job done.
I use scottevest to carry my cellphones and tablet and all my valuables, etc. And it's more secured there than in a bag.
Old Apr 12, 19, 11:12 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Don't stress, you will be fine. Anyway in J you are allowed 2 pieces and as mentioned, I almost always travel with 2 pieces even in Y and nobody has ever checked my carryon. Like DYKWIA said, if it looks heavy they might but not otherwise
Sitti likes this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zol View Post
Don't stress, you will be fine. Anyway in J you are allowed 2 pieces and as mentioned, I almost always travel with 2 pieces even in Y and nobody has ever checked my carryon. Like DYKWIA said, if it looks heavy they might but not otherwise
You travel in Y?
thijsseh, Zol and m3red like this.

Search this Thread