FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Upgrade to silver offer for 300 USD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1962635-upgrade-silver-offer-300-usd.html)

redeternet7 Mar 26, 2019 9:10 am

Upgrade to silver offer for 300 USD

Hi, received an email from Emirates regarding an offer to upgrade from blue to silver for 300 USD.
Is this worth it? Just wanted your opinion before doing so, to help formulate your opinion here is the predicted usage and back history...

My sibling received and took this offer earlier last month and I was selected, presumably becuase we were both silver (albeit used it once only)
The only plan to travel via EK is November 2019 and either Jan 2020 for a short trip.
There is the intention to travel maybe August 2020 but by then I would have been downgraded to blue, so can't decide....

In terms of lounge access, we have Amex Platinum and Amex Gold between us so that should get us in a lounge right?

skywardhunter Mar 26, 2019 9:24 am

Silver only gets you access in DXB where you could also just pay Usd105. Two trips would be 210usd in value I'd you had paid anyway.
​​​​​​No idea which country's Amex you have nor whether they'd provide access to the only contract lounge at DXB T3 which is Marhaba

redeternet7 Mar 26, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30931529)
Silver only gets you access in DXB where you could also just pay Usd105. Two trips would be 210usd in value I'd you had paid anyway.
No idea which country's Amex you have nor whether they'd provide access to the only contract lounge at DXB T3 which is Marhaba

Correct regarding Marhaba, it is contracted out so Amex users in the UK get to use it
The Emirates lounge is restricted to Silver members and although it's very nice, don't think I would spend 105 USD for entry.
Also, as a skywards enthusiastic flyer, I would prefer to upgrade via flex to bus and gain entry.

The only other benefits are 12kg extra and % increase in earning skywards as a silver member, as mentioned above I only envisage two extra trips

Would you say it's not worth it in this case?

DYKWIA Mar 26, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by redeternet7 (Post 30931725)
Would you say it's not worth it in this case?

I'd say it's not worth it. Far better things to spend $300 on. The Maharba lounge is fine for a couple of hours.

cargueiro Mar 26, 2019 7:23 pm

There is another lounge called Lounge@B. I have been given a loungebuddy.com voucher and it keeps suggesting that or Marhaba to me in DXB T3.
​​​​​​
I have not visited but online reviews suggest it is much better than Marhaba.

Not sure if Amex gets you in.

mecabq Mar 27, 2019 8:34 pm

I would say it's not worth it. Other than lounges in DXB, the main benefit is priority check-in and boarding, which you won't make use of more than a couple of times.

rumbataz Mar 29, 2019 12:57 am

I had EK Silver through a status match for a year a while back. It wasn’t really that valuable, but it was free for me so I was happy to have it. You don’t really get much from it as there are so many tiers above it.

redeternet7 Mar 30, 2019 12:30 am

Originally Posted by cargueiro (Post 30933552)
There is another lounge called Lounge@B. I have been given a loungebuddy.com voucher and it keeps suggesting that or Marhaba to me in DXB T3.
​​​​​​
I have not visited but online reviews suggest it is much better than Marhaba.

Not sure if Amex gets you in.

Thanks didnt know about Lounge@B, will look it up. I presume Marhaba is different to the Emirates lounge whichs silver/gold/plat and bus class pax get?

skywardhunter Mar 30, 2019 1:50 am

Originally Posted by redeternet7 (Post 30945195)
Thanks didnt know about Lounge@B, will look it up. I presume Marhaba is different to the Emirates lounge whichs silver/gold/plat and bus class pax get?

Yes, it's a third party company (Marhaba) that operates it as a pay-in/contract lounge.