FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Your travel advice LON-DPS with Emirates in Y (DXB stop over Y/N) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1959733-your-travel-advice-lon-dps-emirates-y-dxb-stop-over-y-n.html)

Duck1981 Mar 7, 2019 6:13 am

Your travel advice LON-DPS with Emirates in Y (DXB stop over Y/N)

Dear All

I am contemplating to fly to Bali end of September with EK in Y.

After checking flight prices I can see that it won't make any difference to stay over a night in Dubai when flying out/ flying back/ both legs.

What would you do - considering I have enough Marriott points to get a free night/ nights - taking a break in DXB eg. arriving late PM and then continuing to DPS with the 1am flight roughly 30 hours later? Fly LON-DXB-DPS with a 1 hour connection in DXB just to get it done and arrive in DPS as soon as? Or have a stop over only on the way back (arriving at 11pm and then going back to LON at 2am - 28 hours later) to stretch out the vacation?

I understand there won't be a 'right or wrong' and heavily depending on personal liking but I am just wondering of your thoughts. Please also let me know if you consider the 1hr 50 connection as too risky in DXB.

I will be EK silver (so can't guest my wife into EK lounge) but I have a Priority Pass card as well.

Many thanks!

skywardhunter Mar 7, 2019 6:26 am

If you have the points for the hotel, or even consider paying cash (DXB hotel rates can be surprisingly reasonable) I'd go for it, if you don't need a visa.

DYKWIA Mar 7, 2019 7:20 am

Same here... I generally always choose to break the flights by a day or two.

And I can recommend the Le Meridien near the airport for your stay. Your status will get you upgraded to the new(ish) Le Royal Club building. The club lounge is great - and you can get free food more or less all day (I'm typing this from there!).

You also get free Airport transfers. I got an Audi A6 last night.

JamesKidd Mar 7, 2019 7:33 am

I'm not a big fan of Dubai, so my preference is to use it as a pure transit point and make my way to final destination as soon as possible.

Zol Mar 7, 2019 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30858208)

You also get free Airport transfers. I got an Audi A6 last night.

I did not know that

petit_manchot Mar 8, 2019 1:01 am

Another thing to consider is that the flight that connects on to/from Auckland may be a lot busier than the direct DXB-DPS flight (this was the case when I travelled a few weeks ago). I would probably prefer a tighter connection if that meant a better chance of an emptier flight. I'd also prefer to spend more time in Bali than Dubai!

DYKWIA Mar 8, 2019 1:04 am

Originally Posted by petit_manchot (Post 30861383)
Another thing to consider is that the flight that connects on to/from Auckland may be a lot busier than the direct DXB-DPS flight (this was the case when I travelled a few weeks ago). I would probably prefer a tighter connection if that meant a better chance of an emptier flight. I'd also prefer to spend more time in Bali than Dubai!

Hasn't the DPS-AKL flight been canned?

skywardhunter Mar 8, 2019 1:19 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30861388)

It was only just introduced?

thijsseh Mar 8, 2019 2:38 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30861388)

Currently operates Su Tue Fri Sat

Duck1981 Mar 8, 2019 7:21 am

Hi All

Thanks for all your input.

So in the end I have booked ourselves on a 30h stopover in DXB outward/ return given that we will be in Y.

Also I will be on the AKL flight from DXB - I was not aware that this one will continue further but had the best departure/ arrival time for us (and not an EK expert as of yet - one flight away of Silver :)

DYKWIA Mar 8, 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30861410)
It was only just introduced?

Yeah - sorry, I must have been getting confused. A heavy night last night with the Chavs :D