Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

To the people that caused the bar to be closed on EK22 today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To the people that caused the bar to be closed on EK22 today

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:42 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
It wasn't always like that - but has been for the past 10 years if not longer.
That's just not true. There are places I wouldn't want to go to (Barasti ) - just like everywhere else. But in general, most places in Dubai are great.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: EK Silver...just
Originally Posted by amnicoll
Could not agree more - perhaps some time first though in local jail and hopefully banned from Emirates for good luck
You can't jail someone for throwing a few sandwiches and having a bevvy. Mind you the bread gets that hard you could take an eye out!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarshyM
You can't jail someone for throwing a few sandwiches and having a bevvy. Mind you the bread gets that hard you could take an eye out!
You can in Dubai... A couple of nights in the slammer for being drunk* would teach them a lesson.

*And obnoxios/annoying
greggyfroggy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You can in Dubai... A couple of nights in the slammer for being drunk* would teach them a lesson.

*And obnoxios/annoying
I always made sure I was never drunk when leaving bars when I worked in Dubai, but I know of people whose breath smelt of alcohol and it earned them 28 days in the slammer.

Flout the rules at your peril!

It would indeed be fitting if such rowdy (and presumably intoxicated) people on a flight are arrested upon landing and are given 28 days to think about their behaviour. It's totally unacceptable to behave that way in an aeroplane.
JohnM5 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by MarshyM
In Dubai you can, for sure.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Dubai definitely appeals to the fish lip & Louis Vuitton crowd. They’re both equally fake.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
Quite a few people living in Dubai, long term expats and native Emiratis have told me that the authorities in Dubai tend to look the other way (not always) when it comes to things like drunken driving/rowdy behavior. This is more likely to happen if these incidents involve wealthy/high spending middle easterners / EU folks. All in the name of tourism/hospitality revenue.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Dubai is a great place to work and live.

its like anywhere - you can get involved in all the superficial stuff or you can live a great life and ignore all that rubbish.

weve been here 6.5 years and have no plans to go anywhere, except maybe the pub and on a few first class holidays!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by mannimagus
Quite a few people living in Dubai, long term expats and native Emiratis have told me that the authorities in Dubai tend to look the other way (not always) when it comes to things like drunken driving/rowdy behavior. This is more likely to happen if these incidents involve wealthy/high spending middle easterners / EU folks. All in the name of tourism/hospitality revenue.
I'm sure that's true but I do know first hand of people from various backgrounds (including western expats) who drove drunk or were bailed up by Dubai police for walking like they had a roller skate on one foot and a snowshoe on the other. When it's that obvious, they act. As they should. It's their country, their rules, whether or not we disagree with them.

I was in Dubai full time for 11 years from 1999, and continue to be a frequent visitor. I haven't seen much change in the way Dubai police respond to flagrant drunkenness. I do believe they tend to be more generous with Western expats. I have to say from many years of observation that those from colder climes are consistently more outrageous in the bars. I guess it's because the place is warmer and therefore mistakenly seen as somehow exotic, which seems to lead to over-excitement. We Antipodeans are under no such illusion!

Apologies, this is off-topic.

Last edited by BadoRas; Mar 20, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BadoRas
I always made sure I was never drunk when leaving bars when I worked in Dubai, but I know of people whose breath smelt of alcohol and it earned them 28 days in the slammer.

Flout the rules at your peril!

It would indeed be fitting if such rowdy (and presumably intoxicated) people on a flight are arrested upon landing and are given 28 days to think about their behaviour. It's totally unacceptable to behave that way in an aeroplane.
I cannot understand how this can be true, certainly very unlucky. I have not done a brunch for over a year but I cannot imagine they have changed much, every one gets steaming on a Friday and then continue on to after parties once they have got through the last orders which normally involves filling the table with booze! A little more than having breath that smells of alcohol..!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Will08
I cannot understand how this can be true, certainly very unlucky.
One incident I remember very clearly was a Brit who had come to Dubai to commission a very specific piece of equipment for us as part of a large project at DUBAL.

On his first night there, he went out to a bar, didn't over-imbibe. On the way back to his hotel, his taxi was involved in a minor fender bender, and as per usual, Dubai police must attend the scene. He was standing around outside the taxi when a police officer approached him for a statement. The officer stated that he smelled alcohol on his breath and arrested him. 28 days later he was released. It really threw out our construction and commissioning schedule!

That was over 10 years ago, but I don't believe things have changed much.

I agree he was unlucky, but this does happen and everyone should be aware of the possibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.