FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Trying to get from USA to Europe on Emirates First Class (2 months away) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1958933-trying-get-usa-europe-emirates-first-class-2-months-away.html)

Matt Newman Mar 2, 2019 8:27 am

Trying to get from USA to Europe on Emirates First Class (2 months away)

Hey all,

I am booking a flight for my wife and I -- we are ultimately going to greece but have not been able to find any availability from the US to Greece on First class through Emirates yet, despite a lot of looking. Was hoping to get some input on where to look:

Flight would leave either May 18 or May 19, 2019
We are based out of florida (and we assume we will be heading to another airport prior to crossing atlantic)
We would love to go straight to greece but are perfectly find staying a day or two in Europe (maybe Paris, Milan, Italy, etc...) and I'm hoping this makes it easier to get over there
I have tried the main hubs like NY, NJ, etc., straight to Athens
Have also tried some straight to Milan and couldn't find any

Any advice on where to look or routes to take to try to score a first class ticket on those two dates, even if it is not to Greece but somewhere "cool" and within 4 hours flight to Greece?

Thx!

pokeable Mar 2, 2019 8:57 am

EK flies EWR-ATH and JFK-MXP.
You can purchase F for $8-10k pp.
Points is probably harder to ATH than MXP due to 777 v. 388 F seats available (8 v. 14)

Matt Newman Mar 2, 2019 10:48 am

Thx, Pokeable... any other airlines you’d check out? None of those routes are available first class, unfortunately. Maybe an airline that you think first class would be bookable to anywhere in Europe that would be a desirable place to go for a day or two and then I’ll do economy or business from that city to Athens or just pay cash... the May 18th/19th date is the hard part.

thijsseh Mar 2, 2019 1:30 pm

I don’t see the problem. According to Expert Flyer, both EK206 (EWR/ATH) and EK210 (JFK/MXP) have plenty availability in F on both 18 and 19 May.

Flaneurs Mar 2, 2019 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 30839249)
Thx, Pokeable... any other airlines you’d check out? None of those routes are available first class, unfortunately. Maybe an airline that you think first class would be bookable to anywhere in Europe that would be a desirable place to go for a day or two and then I’ll do economy or business from that city to Athens or just pay cash... the May 18th/19th date is the hard part.

A search on EF shows:
EK 2100EWR
05/18/19 11:55 PMATH
05/19/19 4:05 PM77W
Daily
90% / 23mF4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O2 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9B9 U0 K0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0

Should be plenty of space to buy a ticket in F on the 18th of May departing EWR to ATH. The 19th is showing about the same availability. Unless you are referring to wanting to do it using points? In that case, there is no Z availability at the moment on either day.

Flaneurs Mar 2, 2019 1:38 pm

Darn it, thijsseh beat me to it. In any case, I totally agree.

Matt Newman Mar 3, 2019 11:00 am

Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified -- I am only interested in flying via points and neither of those days have points for anything first class on those routes. I also didn't see anything for business class either ... should I wait until get closer to the flight and just risk it? How long before the flight do they usually open up business and first availability on the airline?

skywardhunter Mar 3, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 30842659)
Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified -- I am only interested in flying via points and neither of those days have points for anything first class on those routes. I also didn't see anything for business class either ... should I wait until get closer to the flight and just risk it? How long before the flight do they usually open up business and first availability on the airline?

There is no specific timeframe or rule, they might never open up, or they might open up at any point, no one knows

m3red Mar 3, 2019 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30842918)
There is no specific timeframe or rule, they might never open up, or they might open up at any point, no one knows

well there is is an algorithm- it’s based on projected loads from historical data

thijsseh Mar 4, 2019 12:22 am

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 30844800)

well there is is an algorithm- it’s based on projected loads from historical data

Oh, I'm sure there is, it's not someone in an office in Dubai opening up random award seats. I however suspect that Skywardhunter indicated that we mere mortals don't know that algorithm. (if you do, please PM me.....;) )

Edit: I once tried to predict if / when award seats would be released on a certain route, using Expert Flyer data. I was 95% convinced that two seats would be released within a week of the flight I wanted them for. They did not materialise....:rolleyes:

Looking at the next 14 days on EK210 (EWR/ATH), 5 flights have 2 or more F award seats (Z bucket) available. Of these, 4 are in the next 7 days, one in the 7 days thereafter. That cannot be interpreted that seats get released a week in advance, the sample is way too small for that. But it does suggest that Z bucket is sometimes released. If I were the OP, I would not at all count on this....