FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Online check in from USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1958415-online-check-usa.html)

Buster CT1K Feb 27, 2019 10:16 am

Online check in from USA

When departing from USA (in my case, from ORD) can I check in online and print my own boarding pass before going to the airport? Or do they insist on a document check at airport before they will give me a boarding pass?

kq747 Feb 27, 2019 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K (Post 30827797)
When departing from USA (in my case, from ORD) can I check in online and print my own boarding pass before going to the airport? Or do they insist on a document check at airport before they will give me a boarding pass?

You shouldn't have a problem completing online check in. However, in my experience, being able to get a BP seems to depend more on your destination than your point of departure. For example, I fly USA-NBO-USA a lot and usually don't get a mobile BP on the outbound but do get one on the return which seems odd to me since you think flying to USA would have stricter in person document verification requirements but I think they can validate APIS for the USA via the computer vs to Kenya....I may be way off here but that's my guess.

Tanzguy Feb 28, 2019 12:12 am

Originally Posted by kq747 (Post 30828458)
You shouldn't have a problem completing online check in. However, in my experience, being able to get a BP seems to depend more on your destination than your point of departure. For example, I fly USA-NBO-USA a lot and usually don't get a mobile BP on the outbound but do get one on the return which seems odd to me since you think flying to USA would have stricter in person document verification requirements but I think they can validate APIS for the USA via the computer vs to Kenya....I may be way off here but that's my guess.

I'm a USA citizen living in Kenya...I can always check-in when travelling TO the USA, but never get a boarding pass until doc check at the airport. FROM the USA to KENYA, I can always check in on line and get the boarding pass on my phone

kq747 Feb 28, 2019 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Tanzguy (Post 30830253)
I'm a USA citizen living in Kenya...I can always check-in when travelling TO the USA, but never get a boarding pass until doc check at the airport. FROM the USA to KENYA, I can always check in on line and get the boarding pass on my phone

That's very interesting. I wonder why our experiences are so opposite? Might be because I use my Kenyan passport traveling to Kenya and my USA one when traveling to the US? Might just be random luck at this point

Buster CT1K Mar 4, 2019 12:29 pm

Could it be that the first segment on any PNR requires a doc check and subsequent segments do not?

ft101 Mar 4, 2019 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K (Post 30847051)
Could it be that the first segment on any PNR requires a doc check and subsequent segments do not?

When I've done it in the UK with a home printed or mobile pass the passport check has been done in the lounge. They said there that if I hadn't gone to the lounge I would have been tannoyed at the gate to have things checked. Could be different elsewhere of course.

Tanzguy Mar 4, 2019 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by kq747 (Post 30831321)
That's very interesting. I wonder why our experiences are so opposite? Might be because I use my Kenyan passport traveling to Kenya and my USA one when traveling to the US? Might just be random luck at this point

That's my guess. I travel on a US passport. EK to Europe or Asia, I always get checked in and the mobile BPs. But, from NBO to the states, I always have to have a doc check. From the US back to Kenya...no doc check...

skywardhunter Mar 4, 2019 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 30848777)
When I've done it in the UK with a home printed or mobile pass the passport check has been done in the lounge. They said there that if I hadn't gone to the lounge I would have been tannoyed at the gate to have things checked. Could be different elsewhere of course.

Yes doc check alone is not a hindrance to getting a mobile BP, suspect it's a combination of departing airport, destination airport and citizenship.

I've not been called up at the gate but at CPT during boarding as they scan the BP it beeps and they then check passport and destination visa, I sometimes ask them to do the doc check at the lounge proactively but recently they've been saying they can't and it has to be done at the gate. A little annoying as it holds up the line then