Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Airbus 380 dead. Let's start a campaign.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:28 am
Original Poster

The CEOs of Airbus and Emirates have been playing a game of chicken for months. The truth is that there is a symbiotic relationship between these two companies. Now apparently Airbus has called Emirates's bluff and cancelled the A380 program entirely.
The Airbus A380 is the main reason I fly Emirates. No aircraft can compete with the comfort and spaciousness of its cabin for long-haul travel. It has become inextricably associated with Emirates.

Passengers need to lobby Emirates and let Tim Clark know that people fly his airline in large part because of the A380 experience. Let's start a campaign.

#savetheA380
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Na, I'm ok thanks.
glennhaak, AJ747M, Lewis42 and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: LH, Qatar, Emirates, Alitalia... IHG Platinum
I'll miss it honestly, it's a great aircraft.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Droneklax
The CEOs of Airbus and Emirates have been playing a game of chicken for months. The truth is that there is a symbiotic relationship between these two companies. Now apparently Airbus has called Emirates's bluff and cancelled the A380 program entirely.
The Airbus A380 is the main reason I fly Emirates. No aircraft can compete with the comfort and spaciousness of its cabin for long-haul travel. It has become inextricably associated with Emirates.

Passengers need to lobby Emirates and let Tim Clark know that people fly his airline in large part because of the A380 experience. Let's start a campaign.

#savetheA380
Lol, we want to encourage Emirates to go the way of Etihad?

Think about this; the A380 isn't making airlines money with Brent at $63, West Texas at $54.

Enjoy the showers and the Dom/Veuve at the bar while it lasts.
m3red likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by pokeable
Enjoy the showers and the Dom/Veuve at the bar while it lasts.
Yeah, only another 15/20 years to go! BA will still have some their B747s flying then
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yeah, only another 15/20 years to go! BA will still have some their B747s flying then
and the same hagged old crew who serve you....

I will miss the bar....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by m3red

and the same hagged old crew who serve you....

I will miss the bar....
the bar will be a big miss, when the A380 is finally retired.
i hope on the 777x and A350 they still have some kind of small social zone, with snacks etc.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:27 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls

the bar will be a big miss, when the A380 is finally retired.
i hope on the 777x and A350 they still have some kind of small social zone, with snacks etc.
May airlines have that and even EY has it in their A380 but nothing comes close to the EK Bar
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
I’m far from an airline CEO but doesn’t the loss of the A380 mean more flights, more gates, more pilots, more staff? Has Emirates been flying their A380s half full? Can they get more gates at LHR or JFK? Can they hire more pilots — many airlines seem to be having trouble these days. And without the A380 won’t Emirates be ‘just another international airline’?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by walttom
I’m far from an airline CEO but doesn’t the loss of the A380 mean more flights, more gates, more pilots, more staff? Has Emirates been flying their A380s half full? Can they get more gates at LHR or JFK? Can they hire more pilots — many airlines seem to be having trouble these days. And without the A380 won’t Emirates be ‘just another international airline’?
I guess something they'll need to figure out in ten years....

Not exactly. First of all, people seem to be thinking the aircraft is going to just disappear over night, which obviously isn't the case. But even if they replace their 380s with their order book they'd still be the world's largest international airline, and the only 100% wide body airline.

EK doesnt have a single domestic flight, think about that. (Except maybe 1 or two fifth freedom routes in Asia)
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:18 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Emirates came back to the table because they couldn't get engines for their new planes. But sure. Let's tell the CEO to order more aircraft anyway. They can rack up miles by getting towed around the airport.

GE doesn't want to make a380 engines. Rolls Royce doesn't want to dump the $ in to fixing their underperforming engines (why would they?). Airlines aren't the only companies hedging their bets and dumping the a380.

It's a magnificent piece of machinery. But it was also shortsighted to expect airport redesigns to accommodate. I like the EK bar, too, but I've had pleasant chats on the (much) smaller Virgin bars all the same.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
EK can always replace the A380 with the 748!
nancypants and TBD like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous
EK can always replace the A380 with the 748!
That's a campaign I could get behind
nancypants, Isochronous and TBD like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:09 am

What makes EK the iconic airline it is are the A380s on its fleet, with their inflight showers and bar.EK 777 is a dumpster. Seats without direct-aisle-access in J ?!... Come on, that’s so 1990’s....
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
What makes EK the iconic airline it is are the A380s on its fleet, with their inflight showers and bar.EK 777 is a dumpster. Seats without direct-aisle-access in J ?!... Come on, that’s so 1990’s....
Yes, reminds me of ll the 90's business class products that went flat... oh wait...
Bouncingsouls and Zol like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.