Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates signs deal for 40 A330-900s, 30 A350-900s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates signs deal for 40 A330-900s, 30 A350-900s

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards
Ah, maybe I've misunderstood. TAP is running with 2-4-2.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Math error, didn't count and thought it's the same number of seats across. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised. They'll make it narrow aisle like the 77W and use it to justify 2-2-2 in J (hopefully)
To be fair, Airbus always used to brand the A330/A340 as 2-2-2 in J i.e. no middle seat so that's exactly what it was designed for. I know many carriers have moved away from this config but a 2-2-2 wouldn't be a squeeze
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
To be fair, Airbus always used to brand the A330/A340 as 2-2-2 in J i.e. no middle seat so that's exactly what it was designed for. I know many carriers have moved away from this config but a 2-2-2 wouldn't be a squeeze
I meant justify 2-2-2 to themselves in a good way, as opposed to 2-3-2
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I meant justify 2-2-2 to themselves in a good way, as opposed to 2-3-2
Ah, misundersood
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

A bit of random thinking, but have EK been a bit canny here?

The 160 A380s always seemed a bit over ambitious to me. Maybe 100 is a bit more realistic.

The original idea was to return 10 year old A380s to the leasing company, who would then lease or sell them to another airline - as happens with the older EK B77W frames. However, there is obviously no secondary market for the A380, so they'll probably end up getting scrapped. Unless, of course, EK decide to extend the lease for another few years. EK then pay peanuts for the lease extension, and the leasing company are happy as they don't have to worry about scrapping.

BA are still flying 25 year old 747s. So, maybe we'll end up with 20 year old A380s still flying well into the 2030s? EK tend to look after the interiors a bit better than BA, so a full refurb after 10 years should keep the A380s a plane people want to continue to fly on.
ZRHMD11 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
A bit of random thinking, but have EK been a bit canny here?

The 160 A380s always seemed a bit over ambitious to me. Maybe 100 is a bit more realistic.

The original idea was to return 10 year old A380s to the leasing company, who would then lease or sell them to another airline - as happens with the older EK B77W frames. However, there is obviously no secondary market for the A380, so they'll probably end up getting scrapped. Unless, of course, EK decide to extend the lease for another few years. EK then pay peanuts for the lease extension, and the leasing company are happy as they don't have to worry about scrapping.

BA are still flying 25 year old 747s. So, maybe we'll end up with 20 year old A380s still flying well into the 2030s? EK tend to look after the interiors a bit better than BA, so a full refurb after 10 years should keep the A380s a plane people want to continue to fly on.
Interesting point, the lower lease cost would outway any fuel costs so it would be a win win for EK. I don't think they will keep them on for 20 years more likely EK know more on whats going on in R&D at Boing and Airbus and taking a calculated bet. In 5 years time we will either be thinking good more or bad move EK
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:34 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Yeah makes sense, its a win win for EK and the leasing company if the number stack up. There might not be a secondary market but everything has value. The lease terms are based on the principle that the lender would get 10 x annual payment plus recoup residual value of aircraft upon disposal. If they can't recoup that residual value then they might decide to sell it for whatever they can get unless the lease extension would be of better value to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.