FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   JB connection at JFK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1956142-jb-connection-jfk.html)

walttom Feb 13, 2019 12:54 pm

JB connection at JFK

I値l be arriving on EK 203 at JFK T4 and connecting to a JetBlue flight in T5 in a few weeks. What can I expect? Will EK provide a boarding pass for my JB flight when I check in at DXB? (I知 flying in J if it matters). Is there a bag drop at T4 after Customs or will I have to drag my bag over to T5 and do the whole check-in dance at JB there?

I知 hoping the early arrival time will mean short lines. Can anyone comment on their experience?

Zol Feb 13, 2019 4:54 pm

I have not personally done it but given you are connecting Intl to Domestic, you will have to clear Border/Customs, collect your bags and drop them off at JB desk

kq747 Feb 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by walttom (Post 30774543)
I値l be arriving on EK 203 at JFK T4 and connecting to a JetBlue flight in T5 in a few weeks. What can I expect? Will EK provide a boarding pass for my JB flight when I check in at DXB? (I知 flying in J if it matters). Is there a bag drop at T4 after Customs or will I have to drag my bag over to T5 and do the whole check-in dance at JB there?

I知 hoping the early arrival time will mean short lines. Can anyone comment on their experience?

You will need to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs, exit the customs area, then walk to the left of the arrivals hall to the Jetblue Desk and drop off your bags. Take the escalator up to the Airtrain and take it one stop to Terminal 5, and go through security again. EK can usually issue your BP but if they don't, you can always collect it from the kiosks in T5 or get a mobile boarding pass.

walttom Feb 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks. So, JB has a bag drop in T4? I was afteaid I’d have to schlep the bag all the way over to T5.

kq747 Feb 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Yes. Unless it's moved, it should be to left side of the arrivals hall after you exit the doors, near the escalators

ajeleonard Feb 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Personally I would schlep the bag over to T5. Handing it over directly to JB is their own terminal is going to minimize the chances of it getting lost

walttom Feb 14, 2019 2:09 pm

That’s a valid point. I’ll look at the logistics when I fly out of JFK. But as long as the bag tag is intact I’m not as worried. I had trouble last year at MIA when I did schlep my bag for recheck at AA and then someone broke in and rifled the contents.

kq747 Feb 15, 2019 7:54 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 30779118)
Personally I would schlep the bag over to T5. Handing it over directly to JB is their own terminal is going to minimize the chances of it getting lost

Originally Posted by walttom (Post 30779269)
That痴 a valid point. I値l look at the logistics when I fly out of JFK. But as long as the bag tag is intact I知 not as worried. I had trouble last year at MIA when I did schlep my bag for recheck at AA and then someone broke in and rifled the contents.

I've never had an issue with losing a bag this way but if your bag isn't too cumbersome getting it onto the airtrain and off can be done without much fuss. There's just a little more walking than I would like when getting off the airtrain in T5 since the station is a little far and I prefer using the escalators as elevators are usually used by pax with carts/wheelchairs.
As far as someone breaking & rifling through your bag, that can happen at any TSA checkpoint no matter the airport. If you don't have a TSA lock, you should get one if you prefer to lock your bags. I haven't in 10 years since I realised that TSA would probably break in anyway and don't pack anything I can't afford to lose.

iflyalexair Feb 15, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by walttom (Post 30779051)
Thanks. So, JB has a bag drop in T4? I was afteaid I壇 have to schlep the bag all the way over to T5.

You will drop the bag at the Emirates recheck desk, not JetBlue. It's marked as "Baggage Recheck #2". Then you'll head up the escalator and take the AirTrain one stop to T5.

walttom Feb 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks. That’s what I’ll do.

nwe Feb 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by kq747 (Post 30775791)
You will need to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs, exit the customs area, then walk to the left of the arrivals hall to the Jetblue Desk and drop off your bags. Take the escalator up to the Airtrain and take it one stop to Terminal 5, and go through security again. EK can usually issue your BP but if they don't, you can always collect it from the kiosks in T5 or get a mobile boarding pass.

Hi guys,

Doing this trip in reverse in a few weeks, travel MCO-JFK on JB then have to connect onto DXB. Will they check the bags through this way? I realise I will still have to take the Airtrain.

kq747 Feb 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by nwe (Post 30793591)
Hi guys,

Doing this trip in reverse in a few weeks, travel MCO-JFK on JB then have to connect onto DXB. Will they check the bags through this way? I realise I will still have to take the Airtrain.

If your flights are booked on one ticket then they will be checked through. If on separate tickets then you would need to ask the check in agent which is generally not a problem between Jetblue and Emirates but not 100% guaranteed. Often depends on the agent IME

nwe Feb 19, 2019 6:37 am

Thanks

Often1 Feb 19, 2019 8:14 am

There is zero reason not to drop your bags post-Customs on the inbound flight. The bags will almost certainly already be tagged to their final domestic destination on B6. All you will need to do is to drop them. You won't even have to recheck. There is no greater a risk of loss or theft at the transfer desk than at a B6 counter and I don't think anyone can point to metrics suggesting otherwise.

As to locking your suitcases, don't bother. If TSA wishes to open them after you drop or check them, it will do so. If it has a key handy, it may unlock them. If it doesn't, it will cut the lock off. If someone else wants to go through your bag, they will either cut the lock or slice through the bag. Better suggestion is not to ship valuables in your checked luggage, particularly given generous carry-on allowances.