Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

What does “SMART” on my boarding pass mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum

Hi everyone,

I recently flew DXB to JNB and for the first time (as least that I noticed) my boarding pass showed the word “SMART” under my EK number.

Any ideas what it means?

I asked the Pursar and he said he’d never seen it but thought it my be a replacement for fast track. This did not make sense as my other half’s boarding pass did not have it and we were sitting beside each other in the same cabin. Also JNB has no fast track.

Cheers!
m3red likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Smart gates at Dxb or something?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Smart gates at Dxb or something?
That’s what I thought, but we were heading to JNB, so strange...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Not the smart gates but the smart tunnel?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Mine will probably say DUMB on it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Not the smart gates but the smart tunnel? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfX3D8gfHY
I tried this the other week... Not sure if it's still in testing phase, but an official still asked to see my passport after I walked through...

Meanwhile, the egates on departure don't even ask for my finger print anymore, so must also be using facial recognition.

And we all know that if they can implement this at the airport, they can implement it at the Shopping Mall, on the street... anywhere in the UAE... Big Bro is watching (or Sheikh Bro? or maybe Big Mo?)
nancypants and Franky16 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by extramileage
Meanwhile, the egates on departure don't even ask for my finger print anymore, so must also be using facial recognition.
Does it really matter? Your passport gets checked at the gate to ensure documentation is correct.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Does it really matter? Your passport gets checked at the gate to ensure documentation is correct.
By the airline. Doesn't help the government to know that you've left
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:12 am

Or to stop you from leaving.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

But you've scanned your passport at the smart gates, so the government knows you've left... The gate check is make sure it's the correct person flying, and that they have the correct documentation.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:47 am

But you've scanned your passport at the smart gates, so the government knows you've left... The gate check is make sure it's the correct person flying, and that they have the correct documentation.
Ah that wasn't clear, I've never used egates (not eligible) thought the implication was that it's only facial recognition, no passport scan of any sort
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
If I was the government (and I'd be a dictator self appointed leader for life, for sure), I'd like to know that the person leaving / going airside is indeed the person associated with that passport.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Xenon2010
Hi everyone,

I recently flew DXB to JNB and for the first time (as least that I noticed) my boarding pass showed the word “SMART” under my EK number.

Any ideas what it means?

I asked the Pursar and he said he’d never seen it but thought it my be a replacement for fast track. This did not make sense as my other half’s boarding pass did not have it and we were sitting beside each other in the same cabin. Also JNB has no fast track.

Cheers!
I was told this week at T3 DXB at the smart tunnel...that if one's BP has SMART printed
then one is now approved to use the smart tunnel.
I'm long registered for egate , have used on various occasions the smart tunnel (apparently during the "trial period") and am not now SMART "because the Emirates check-in system decides" So I can not presently use the smart tunnel. Go figure it out !
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Xenon2010
Hi everyone,

Any ideas what it means?

Cheers!
Im EK gold however usually on Y tickets , although long registered for EGates and used E tunnel in DXB T3 J/F departures.
However I'm not smart. Today an immigration agent appeared to know why. He told me that now "things have changed" and that the smart (printed on BP) pax are now mostly F pax. In other words,those F pax who have registered "scanned the eyes" are smart. I asked if u could "register" to be smart and was told no. So it's smart gate for me and not smart tunnel. unfortunately the smart tunnel in T3 J/F deps doesn't seem to be getting used much.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:13 am

I flew First Class Dubai to Cape Town last month.

As I was heading to the e-gates I was directed to the tunnel at the side of the e-gates. I was told to just walk through which I did. There was no passport scan like at the e-gates. There was an official sitting at the exit but he didn't ask me for anything.

I noticed an expensive looking notebook on the official's desk which was open and appeared to be for autographs or comments. Sadly, I wasn't asked to write anything!
Franky16 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.