Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Checked Baggage Allowances (From 4th of February 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EY
Reduced Baggage Allowances in Economy starting February 4

Starting February 4, Baggage limits in Economy will change. For Piece concept flights from the US/Canada, Economy Special (and Economy Saver for flights *only* between the US/Europe that don't continue on to DXB (e.g EWR-ATH) will only get 1x23 kg bag, vs the 2x23 kg bags currently allowed. So, for example, fliers for whom the luggage limits are important, such as leisure fliers to the Indian subcontinent, who often bring boxes full of gifts and home goods for family members, should take care to not book the cheapest fares, i.e. don't book Economy Special. The difference between Special and Saver fares from US-India was a negligible $20 in my quick overview.

This also changes the weight limits for Economy fliers in places that use the weight concept. Business & First class limits for Piece/Weight systems are unaffected.

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...d-baggage.aspx

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...tes.aspx/#3421

Last edited by xobile; Jan 10, 2019 at 3:41 pm Reason: Table of data is all messed up
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:06 pm

Weight concept changes are Special down from 20kg to 15kg, Saver down from 30kg to 25kg, Flex and Flex Plus unchanged at 30 and 35kg respectively (Economy). Business and First also unchanged at 40 and 50kg.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
What about piece concept flights from Africa?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
What about piece concept flights from Africa?
Originating Africa

Economy Special: 2 x 23kg
Economy Saver: 2 x 23kg
Economy Flex: 2 x 23kg
Economy Flex Plus: 2 x 23kg
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Originating Africa

Economy Special: 2 x 23kg
Economy Saver: 2 x 23kg
Economy Flex: 2 x 23kg
Economy Flex Plus: 2 x 23kg
I.e. no change to Specials from Africa under the new rules?

Would be nice if they now gave status pax 2x bags on Special tix as currently piece concept flights don't get any status allowance above the standard, only for weight-concept tix.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:46 am
Original Poster

I.e. no change to Specials from Africa under the new rules?

Would be nice if they now gave status pax 2x bags on Special tix as currently piece concept flights don't get any status allowance above the standard, only for weight-concept tix.
Yes I'm still wondering why Emirates doesn't give premium members an extra box on piece concept routes. Even Etihad does it for Silver and above, for now.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Is this for all markets? I don't see any mention of the lower amounts on various European and UAE versions of the EK site.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:23 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Is this for all markets? I don't see any mention of the lower amounts on various European and UAE versions of the EK site.
No change on the NZ version of the website as well. I would assume EK hasn't updated all websites.

At the end of the day you will receive what is stated when you make an actual booking.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
If it was changing for other routes/origination points, I would have thought that the information would all be on the same page, so would suspect nothing is changing elsewhere at the moment
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

No it's a worldwide decrease in allowance And I think you're putting too much faith in Emirates IT. I literally had to email them again because their US site was showing that piece market premium customers get extra weight,while other sites correctly showed it as weight concept markets
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
US site now has an alert advising of the change. Still nothing on the other versions. EK Support on Twitter could not clarify if the change was global.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:12 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador

Just received this notification from EK Australia:

Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Once the piece concept for EK special fares are in full effect expect a drop in bookings from/to India and neighboring countries and USA/Canada. I suspect many will not know until they reach the airport since quite a few still buy through travel agents who may or may not advise them of the new luggage restrictions.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by hyho61
Once the piece concept for EK special fares are in full effect expect a drop in bookings from/to India and neighboring countries and USA/Canada. I suspect many will not know until they reach the airport since quite a few still buy through travel agents who may or may not advise them of the new luggage restrictions.
There's no change to a piece concept for Special fares. Just the kg allowance is reduced. For countries where it is already a piece concept it is reduced. Ex India isn't such a country
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:18 am

There's no change to a piece concept for Special fares. Just the kg allowance is reduced. For countries where it is already a piece concept it is reduced. Ex India isn't such a country
Ex Canada/USA to india reduced from 2pcs to 1 pc , that affects a lot of people !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.