Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

A tale of 2 F flights, EK413 and EK923

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

I'm generally a EY F flyer and had two interesting F flights on EK.

On EK413 at check in I was told my seat was broken. As I knew the cabin had only 5 pax, I simply asked for another seat I wanted which I knew as free from E/F.

After the seatbelt sign went off I kept trying to turn the IFE off as I only use my iPad in flight. The FA who was great tried her hardest and reset the seat three times, including turning off all the power, but it would still turn on by itself. Again, as I know one of the keys of travelling well is not to get upset and suggest a solution, I simply asked that the middle seat next to me be prepared for my bed.

What surprised me, though, was the quality of the catering. I ordered the caviar, Prawns, Arancini and Beef Burger. The Prawns did not taste fresh and the Arancini was tasteless. I took a bite of each only. Thankfully the Burger was decent (although crisps do not chips make). I only had the famous Salt and Pepper Squid in the QF SYD F Lounge because I thought I would be eating more in flight.

Similarly, on 923 I ordered the Mezze and Cabbage Dolma and the food was well under par what I have previously experienced of EK, albeit a few years ago. One would expect catering from the hub of an airline to the best.

Have catering standards universally dropped that much?

I am grateful to the Purser on 923 who when the pax next to me and I in row 1 glared at the two extremely loud woman in row 2 carrying on at the top of their lungs went to them and told them that if they didn't quieten down they would be moved by to J, so I assume an op up.

I know EK is a much larger airline, but it's a strong contrast arriving at T3, going through security to the train to the lounges at DXB vs EY where in AUH you're from the kerb to the lounge within a few hundred metres at most.

I used to rate my F flights as EY > TG (new F) > EK > QF > BA, but I now think other than the doors and shower QF isn't as unexciting as I had convinced myself. But, at least EK has a F product to CAI which EY removed a while back.
S c 0 TT y likes this.

Last edited by m0hamed; Jan 14, 2019 at 9:04 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The food I've had on EK F over the last few years has also been a bit grim. I'm not a regular by any means, but it's not great IMO.
​​​​​​
The bad basket is great though

I've learnt to eat in the lounge, and then snack at the bar!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:11 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I flew 3 F sectors on EK last month & the food ranged from decent to poor. Generally appetizers were quite good (caviar, soup, salad), main courses very poor, desserts good/dire. Wines were generally excellent. Service was very good.

Not a patch on EY F catering in both taste & presentation.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The bad basket is great though

I've learnt to eat in the lounge, and then snack at the bar!
I generally follow this rule for J flights but not F.

Originally Posted by NoY
I flew 3 F sectors on EK last month & the food ranged from decent to poor. Generally appetizers were quite good (caviar, soup, salad), main courses very poor, desserts good/dire. Wines were generally excellent. Service was very good.

Not a patch on EY F catering in both taste & presentation.
On the first sector I ordered 2 appetisers and the Burger was 'light bite' which is hilarious. Has the catering deteriorated recently?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:28 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I generally follow this rule for J flights but not F.

On the first sector I ordered 2 appetisers and the Burger was 'light bite' which is hilarious. Has the catering deteriorated recently?
EK F catering (or J for that matter) has never been considered great, to be frank. Others have moved ahead for sure (e.g. EY, SQ) & EK catering now just looks dated, IMHO.

I have a J flight tomorrow & (given my wife's feedback, who flew the same flight last week ^) I will definitely avoid the main course & the pudding - Appetizer & cheese for me will have to suffice.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
I fly EK F frequently. I never have mains or dessert and tend to browse the much better quality appetisers.

It is disappointing that the quality isn't better but the food alone would never be a deal breaker for me. More than compensated by the amazing spirit and wine selection. And of course that champagne!
Metanoia, NoY and DYKWIA like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:33 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BadoRas
It is disappointing that the quality isn't better but the food alone would never be a deal breaker for me. More than compensated by the amazing spirit and wine selection. And of course that champagne!
^
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:47 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Yes, It was Moet on the ground in SYD because of duty, but the Dom in the air and at DXB makes up for some of it. Though one still needs to eat.
NoY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.