FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   EK Business: Direct Flight on (OLD) 777-300ER or Connection on A380? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1949987-ek-business-direct-flight-old-777-300er-connection-a380.html)

film_girl Jan 8, 2019 4:49 pm

EK Business: Direct Flight on (OLD) 777-300ER or Connection on A380?

I'm booking a return flight from DBX to SEA and EK is coming up as my best option in my company tool. I've never flown Emirates before but have heard good things (sadly, the company won't pay for first -- I may look into seeing how much it would cost for me to upgrade myself as I get closer to departure).

There is a direct flight on a 777-300ER, and I'm assuming based on my research this is one of the older models with the flat-angle seats and not the newer product. For the same money, I can also opt for a flight on an A380 to JFK and then fly in Jetblue Mint to Seattle.

Obviously, option two seems like it'll be a better product -- but it'll add about eight hours to my travel time. How much of a difference is the hard product between the two configurations? Do you think it's worth another transcon flight (albeit in a really great seat)?

ft101 Jan 8, 2019 7:21 pm

I would do the direct flight as the slightly angled seats are barely noticeble, but another option could be through LAX with much more A380 time and much less narrowbody.

kq747 Jan 8, 2019 7:22 pm

Things to consider would be:
1. The bar/lounge on a daylight flight can make a big difference on a longish flight
2. Fewer seats and generally better service on the 77W (and better chance of an opup)
3. All aisle access on the A380 esp if you like the window seat
4. I sleep better on the 77W as it's a little wider and the footwell is bigger
5. If you upgrade; A380 F has the shower of course
6. No lounge in JFK but Mint is fantastic
7. More flights to JFK in case of IRROPS

Speedbird48 Jan 8, 2019 9:22 pm

How tall are you? If you are taller than 6,2 or so the seat on the 777 won't be great for you. You cannot stretch your legs fully. For me, I certainly did notice the angle, but maybe it is because of my height. The seat is also narrow, and lacks storage space. Additionally, I believe the 777s air quality isn't as good as the A380s, so you won't be as refreshed or comfortable in the flight. The direct aisle access on the A380 is certainly a big plus, and I find the cabin to feel roomier.

MosquesAndKebabs Jan 8, 2019 9:55 pm

Personally I would do the A380 as I really value personal space, storage and direct aisle access from a window seat.

And on a 14 hour flight I would really need those.

NoY Jan 8, 2019 10:41 pm

I had the same decision to make (different route) & booked the A380 indirect over the direct B777 in Business Class, without any hesitation.

Zol Jan 8, 2019 11:44 pm

Fly direct, no question. Not worth the JFK detour, maybe LAX as closer but definitely not JFK

johhn14 Jan 9, 2019 12:21 pm

Seattle tends to use the newer generation fully lie flat J seats. Similar to the 2-2-2 777-200LR photos that have been circulated, but in a 2-3-2 config. Just do a google image search for "emirates new business class" and you'll see what it's like. Again, fully flat - not angle flat. Little mini bar build in sort of like the 380.

I prefer the A380 seat & bar option but the 777 is perfectly fine. The screens are actually better than the 380 I'd say but I'm sure that could be debated.

I choose to fly the 777 via my home airport in BOS rather than connect to JFK for the A380. To me it's not worth the 3-4 hours of connecting.

Metanoia Jan 9, 2019 12:26 pm

I'd connect in SFO or LAX. LAX is a zoo, so better to go to SFO.

film_girl Jan 9, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird48 (Post 30630274)
How tall are you? If you are taller than 6,2 or so the seat on the 777 won't be great for you. You cannot stretch your legs fully. For me, I certainly did notice the angle, but maybe it is because of my height. The seat is also narrow, and lacks storage space. Additionally, I believe the 777s air quality isn't as good as the A380s, so you won't be as refreshed or comfortable in the flight. The direct aisle access on the A380 is certainly a big plus, and I find the cabin to feel roomier.

I'm 5'5, so fortunately that won't be a problem -- but the direct aisle access was one of the things that has me going "hmm" especially for a flight of that length. I don't relish having to step over people or be stepped over while sleeping or whatever.

Originally Posted by Metanoia (Post 30633004)
I'd connect in SFO or LAX. LAX is a zoo, so better to go to SFO.

I can fly through SFO or LAX, the issue is getting better than economy on the flight back to Seattle. At the moment, nothing is showing up as available in the booking tool, but the flight is ~70 days away so that could just be a system issue - I'll look into those flights and if I can find better class availability, I'll call the travel company and see if they can make sense of the booking. SFO to SEA is such a quick flight, that might not be a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

kq747 Jan 9, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by johhn14 (Post 30632975)
Seattle tends to use the newer generation fully lie flat J seats. Similar to the 2-2-2 777-200LR photos that have been circulated, but in a 2-3-2 config. Just do a google image search for "emirates new business class" and you'll see what it's like. Again, fully flat - not angle flat. Little mini bar build in sort of like the 380.

I prefer the A380 seat & bar option but the 777 is perfectly fine. The screens are actually better than the 380 I'd say but I'm sure that could be debated.

I choose to fly the 777 via my home airport in BOS rather than connect to JFK for the A380. To me it's not worth the 3-4 hours of connecting.

They get new J occasionally (just looked a historical regs) unlike BOS, ORD and DFW which you are very likely to get the new J

ft101 Jan 9, 2019 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by johhn14 (Post 30632975)
Seattle tends to use the newer generation fully lie flat J seats.

From what I can see it's been once in the past month on 5th January when A6-EQE flew it. All others have been A6-EC* or EG* which are the old style.

Coffee drinker Jan 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by film_girl (Post 30633301)
I'm 5'5, so fortunately that won't be a problem -- but the direct aisle access was one of the things that has me going "hmm" especially for a flight of that length. I don't relish having to step over people or be stepped over while sleeping or whatever.

On the 777 I could recommend taking an aisle seat in the middle section. Most likely middle seat will be empty or you have a couple next to you who will certainly step over each other rather than you.

extramileage Jan 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by film_girl (Post 30633301)

I can fly through SFO or LAX, the issue is getting better than economy on the flight back to Seattle. At the moment, nothing is showing up as available in the booking tool, but the flight is ~70 days away so that could just be a system issue - I'll look into those flights and if I can find better class availability, I'll call the travel company and see if they can make sense of the booking. SFO to SEA is such a quick flight, that might not be a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

JFK-DXB and SEA-DXB are close to the same flying time so adding another 5 hour transcon seems unnecessary.

You can also check open-jaw, eg SFO-DXB/DXB-SEA.

Also, if you're on the 777 and are a window person, get a bulkhead (e.g. row 6 or 8), as there is a little more room to step over anyone in the aisle (no foot well).

Finkface Jan 12, 2019 10:45 pm

What about F on the 777? How does 777 F compare to 380 F? I can choose either as connecting onward is equally easy from either SEA or SFO.