Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrading using points from Business to First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading using points from Business to First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
As Skywardhunter also mentions, there will be a few additional choices on the menu.

Big difference for me is 'eat what you want when you want'. No set meal times. And if you want breakfast at dinner time that's OK too (assuming the flight caters for both breakfast and dinner which is not always the case). As is having all starters and no mains (or whatever combination you fancy).
And of course the wine selection......
it's a 3h flight so unfortunately not that much benefit to the OP. I've done it on F when it was still an A380, very enjoyable
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:09 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
it's a 3h flight so unfortunately not that much benefit to the OP. I've done it on F when it was still an A380, very enjoyable
Ah, did not realise that. Forgot we were talking HKG/BKK.
So no caviar service either, I believe?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh

Ah, did not realise that. Forgot we were talking HKG/BKK.
So no caviar service either, I believe?
That I'm not sure of, as I don't eat caviar
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Update: Worked like a charm once I got Amex to remove the fraud prevention block on my account. Transferred 10k instantly, upgraded and picked seat.

Inflight service/catering seems to be identical to J - exactly the same menu. Just Dom Perignon and Cocktails are different. Oh well 10k for a First upgrade on EK is a no brainer.
Just get your fill of Dom in. No champagne on the ground in BKK at least in J, so you'll be a few glasses behind. Try to get two bottles in.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Just get your fill of Dom in. No champagne on the ground in BKK at least in J, so you'll be a few glasses behind. Try to get two bottles in.
I still need to make it home upon arrival in BKK.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:15 am

It's been a while, but I've had caviar on that route.

I wasn't aware of no champagne on the ground at BKK in J as I've had that before too and was looking forward to it again early next month. Can anyone else confirm?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by ft101
It's been a while, but I've had caviar on that route.

I wasn't aware of no champagne on the ground at BKK in J as I've had that before too and was looking forward to it again early next month. Can anyone else confirm?
ive certainly had champagne on the ground last year at Bkk in August, and I’ve also had it on previous flights.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls

ive certainly had champagne on the ground last year at Bkk in August, and I’ve also had it on previous flights.
Weird. I got the "don't want to pay taxes" treatment and all I got was apple juice. It was a while ago though so maybe it all changed?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: Skywards
I'm flying DUB - SEZ next weekend and am still hoping to upgrade (2 seats) from J to F with miles on the DUB - DXB leg. Expert flyer is showing F4 J7 and there are no seats selected in F so I'm assuming that means its empty?
Does anyone have any insight into the likelihood of award availability opening up? Is it possible it wont and the flight will go with First empty?
If I hope to upgrade at the airport is it better not to check in online?
Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Neiltoo
I'm flying DUB - SEZ next weekend and am still hoping to upgrade (2 seats) from J to F with miles on the DUB - DXB leg. Expert flyer is showing F4 J7 and there are no seats selected in F so I'm assuming that means its empty?
Does anyone have any insight into the likelihood of award availability opening up? Is it possible it wont and the flight will go with First empty?
Thanks
DUB-DXB is my most regular route, and ive rarely had any trouble upgrading to F.
Usually 72 hours before the flight they release a couple of F seats if theyre not sold out
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
DUB-DXB is my most regular route, and ive rarely had any trouble upgrading to F.
Usually 72 hours before the flight they release a couple of F seats if theyre not sold out
Do they send you an offer, or just release them, and let you upgrade online?

TD
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Good to know, thank you. I’ll keep my fingers crossed!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:45 am

Smile UPDATE

Thanks
A quick update:
When I checked Expert Flyer this morning there was upgrade availability. (so, approx 96 hours before flight)
I called and eventually got the upgrade sorted.
My wife and I have enough miles for our own upgrades but neither have enough miles to upgrade both tickets (which are on the same ref.)
Auto upgrade wont work in this situation, the system can only automatically take miles from one account.
When I called they needed to speak to my wife to confirm she was ok with the use of her miles (not straightforward when shes out of the country!) - we use different surnames so not sure if that made a difference.
Even with her permission it sounded as if using miles from 2 accounts to upgrade one booking was not as straightforward as I might have expected. - the agent said she wasn't sure if she would be able to do that without permission from a superior, but she was in the end.
What I also found interesting was that the seat map on Expert Flyer updated the info (our old seats in business freed up and new ones in First shown) before the Emirates app!
Thanks again to all those that answered my previous questions on this.
jonzboy likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Do they send you an offer, or just release them, and let you upgrade online?

TD
If the seats arent available when booking i usually set up an alert, and generally find that at the 72 hour mark they get released.
Ive only ever had the email offer once from Y to C when flight was overbooked (on new years even), i didnt take them up on it but got upgraded at airport
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:03 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
A quick update:
When I called they needed to speak to my wife to confirm she was ok with the use of her miles (not straightforward when shes out of the country!) - we use different surnames so not sure if that made a difference.
Even with her permission it sounded as if using miles from 2 accounts to upgrade one booking was not as straightforward as I might have expected. - the agent said she wasn't sure if she would be able to do that without permission from a superior, but she was in the end.
To overcome this problem, my wife has set me up as her 'travel coordinator' in her Skywards profile. A not very well known feature which makes life much easier for us since I arrange all her travel. Of course you need a certain amount of trust between spouses....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.