Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrading using points from Business to First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading using points from Business to First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by m3red

what date?
28th March, me and the wife travelling back from holiday.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls

28th March, me and the wife travelling back from holiday.
pretty empty at the moment but it’s ages away
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
It can be done in the lounge
Success. Arrived lounge 5 hrs early (long story), inquired and agent immediately took care of. JFKMXP, only problem is now I have 5 hours to try and pace myself.

Thanks all. Great use of 30k Amex points.
Metanoia and theboss7593 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Upgrading EK mileage tickets via Manage My Booking?

First time I've ever seen this but I'm being offered to upgrade my HKG-BKK to First for 10k (which is the difference between C/F Award) even though the ticket has originally been booked with miles.

BKK-HKG is now operated by 77W (used to be A380). Now that the flight has a First again I'm tempted however I'd need to transfer the 10k from Amex into my EK account, the original booking was made from a different Skywards account.

Is this legit or an anomaly displayed by the website that errors out at the end? I don't want to be stuck with 10K Skywards and lose them from my AX MR account.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
If you can verify through another means (dummy booking, or ExpertFlyer) that the aircraft slated is a 3-class 77W then I'd go ahead and book it. However, there is always the chance of equipment change so there still exists a risk you'll be refunded the 10k miles and strand them in your EK account.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Metanoia
If you can verify through another means (dummy booking, or ExpertFlyer) that the aircraft slated is a 3-class 77W then I'd go ahead and book it. However, there is always the chance of equipment change so there still exists a risk you'll be refunded the 10k miles and strand them in your EK account.
It's a 77W all week now (I wish it wasn't as the J on this a/c sucks with 2-3-2).

I'm more concerned about this option being in fact a regular feature that EK offers to just pay the difference later or if for some reason the system thinks it's a revenue booking and in the last step would error out. It also shows Chauffeur Drive despite this route not being eligible for that (and awards tickets especially not).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
It's a 77W all week now (I wish it wasn't as the J on this a/c sucks with 2-3-2).

I'm more concerned about this option being in fact a regular feature that EK offers to just pay the difference later or if for some reason the system thinks it's a revenue booking and in the last step would error out. It also shows Chauffeur Drive despite this route not being eligible for that (and awards tickets especially not).
Maybe it's overbooked in J and are looking for ways to capture revenue/reduce miles liability instead of giving it away free for op-ups. But you're right, EK IT can be pretty bad and customer service can side with the system.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:39 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
I say go for it
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:48 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

See the following thread, and other posts from Traveler Dave. He seems to have been offered the same, and has subsequently upgraded.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30688774-post21.html
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok thanks. I'll give it a go. Amex transfer didn't work due to fraud protection. Logged in from Bali and the account constantly wants me to authenticate, then blocked all MR activity. Of course being Amex their department closes at 5pm Pacific time - nice service.

Will update this with reference once done.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:24 am

Still worth double checking it's not 2 Class as this route seems to chop and change. I'm on EK384 next week and it's a 2 Class.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
Still worth double checking it's not 2 Class as this route seems to chop and change. I'm on EK384 next week and it's a 2 Class.
Yeah I checked and it's Y/C/F sold as 3 class service.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: Worked like a charm once I got Amex to remove the fraud prevention block on my account. Transferred 10k instantly, upgraded and picked seat.

Inflight service/catering seems to be identical to J - exactly the same menu. Just Dom Perignon and Cocktails are different. Oh well 10k for a First upgrade on EK is a no brainer.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Update: Worked like a charm once I got Amex to remove the fraud prevention block on my account. Transferred 10k instantly, upgraded and picked seat.

Inflight service/catering seems to be identical to J - exactly the same menu. Just Dom Perignon and Cocktails are different. Oh well 10k for a First upgrade on EK is a no brainer.
there should be one or two additional menu options and the presentation will be a little more extensive
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:34 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK

As Skywardhunter also mentions, there will be a few additional choices on the menu.

Big difference for me is 'eat what you want when you want'. No set meal times. And if you want breakfast at dinner time that's OK too (assuming the flight caters for both breakfast and dinner which is not always the case). As is having all starters and no mains (or whatever combination you fancy).
And of course the wine selection......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.