Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing status and seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Losing status and seat selection

I've a flight booked for the early hours of 1st June and an Economy Class preferred seat currently selected. I will lose my two months extension of Gold privileges on 31st May so does that seat become chargeable, will I just lose the seat because I haven't paid or what else will happen and when?

I'll probably switch to a regular seat but just realised this and I'm curious if anyone's come across it.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:52 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ft101
I've a flight booked for the early hours of 1st June and an Economy Class preferred seat currently selected. I will lose my two months extension of Gold privileges on 31st May so does that seat become chargeable, will I just lose the seat because I haven't paid or what else will happen and when?

I'll probably switch to a regular seat but just realised this and I'm curious if anyone's come across it.
I haven’t had the experience myself, but anecdotally you will indeed loose the preferred seat.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Perhaps I got lucky but I dropped to Silver for a few weeks in October during which time I had a family trip booked including one Y segment. I had pre-selected preferred seats and we manage to hang on to them.

I did have future travel booked which took me back to Gold a couple of weeks later, I did ring a few times in the days leading up to the flight trying unsuccessfully to upgrade and this was the only leg of four not in C - not sure if any of these points made a difference.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Bit late to this, but I do think you have a unique case. If you do check in before your status expires (which makes this unique), your reservation has entered the departure control system and seat assignment is locked (bar any upgrades/moving you away from bulkhead/overzealous agent), therefore you won't lose it.

Emirates IT is garbage so what happens in the general case is anyone's guess.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:00 am

If you use your privilage to manage my booking now and select a seat, that seat is blocked to you, it wont remove unless you change after expiry and no charges apply since its booked as complimentory on the system. If you attempt to manager after the gold extension and before check in opens you will loose the seat unless you call customer service and say you had the seats and its now gone some how, they will restore. I assume your station has online checkin enabled, if your flying the day after expiry, you can do online checkin before hand and it's already confirmed. Lounge benefits, technically you loose but you can try sweet talk and try your luck as its only a few hours.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suley
If you use your privilage to manage my booking now and select a seat, that seat is blocked to you, it wont remove unless you change after expiry and no charges apply since its booked as complimentory on the system. If you attempt to manager after the gold extension and before check in opens you will loose the seat unless you call customer service and say you had the seats and its now gone some how, they will restore. I assume your station has online checkin enabled, if your flying the day after expiry, you can do online checkin before hand and it's already confirmed. Lounge benefits, technically you loose but you can try sweet talk and try your luck as its only a few hours.
Good to know the system won't kick me out on status expiry, thanks. Lounge is another area I'd been thinking of as I'll probably be at check in shortly before midnight (flight is at 03:30) and if I get to the lounge before midnight I should be allowed in. A mate is also thinking about travelling with me and I could guest him in if we're early enough. What could or will happen when the clock strikes 12?

When in DXB I'll most definitely be Silver so no guest invite there I'm sure.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Good to know the system won't kick me out on status expiry, thanks. Lounge is another area I'd been thinking of as I'll probably be at check in shortly before midnight (flight is at 03:30) and if I get to the lounge before midnight I should be allowed in. A mate is also thinking about travelling with me and I could guest him in if we're early enough. What could or will happen when the clock strikes 12?

When in DXB I'll most definitely be Silver so no guest invite there I'm sure.
Assuming you are talking about EK377, any particular reason you choose this flight time?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Best connection time to EDI (3 hours 5 minutes) which only has one flight daily.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:40 am

Best connection time to EDI (3 hours 5 minutes) which only has one flight daily.
So 12 o’clock BKK time you should still be ok anyway if it goes off Dubai time?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Will08
So 12 o’clock BKK time you should still be ok anyway if it goes off Dubai time?
I hadn't even thought about timezones. I think my head could explode.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I have always wondered what time zone they follow for these.You would be an ideal test case
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Just had an online chat and was told status expires Dubai time so I'll be good for leaving BKK at 03:30
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:44 am

Just had an online chat and was told status expires Dubai time so I'll be good for leaving BKK at 03:30
Your boarding pass for DXB will be printed before 12 also so you may get lucky... I cannot imagine the IT system will be smart enough to alter it?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Your boarding pass for DXB will be printed before 12 also so you may get lucky... I cannot imagine the IT system will be smart enough to alter it?
Hope so, but maybe smart enough to disallow a guest.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
See the last line of post 4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.