Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Operational Upgrade Experiences 2019 - Please Post Here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Please post your 2019 Operational Upgrade Experiences in this thread.

Around the middle of 2016, Emirates modified their Operational Upgrade Policy favouring type of ticket over status holders, giving non status passengers on Flex and Flex Plus tickets an advantage over (for example) Silver members on a Saver ticket. During the latter half of 2016, less Op Ups were reported but we would still like to hear when they happen.

Link to the 2018 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...post-here.html

Please use the following format for ease of reading and of course, discussion is still welcome.

Example:

Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: BKK-DXB

Flight number: EK385

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 06/09/18

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles to date: 18,000

Skywards miles balance: 80,000

Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 1

Number of pax upgraded: 1

Safe & Happy Travels and May The Upgrade Gods Look Upon You.

Saltire74
Co-Moderator
Print Wikipost

Your Operational Upgrade Experiences 2019 - Please Post Here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
I dont want to list the route in case it gets anyone in trouble, but wanted to get your thoughts on something i witnessed today..

Checking in i was told flight was oversold in all cabins except F and there were 4 standbys so there was a likelihood of Op Up to F for me (i was on Business Flex Plus and im Gold). I thought nothing more of it until at the gate when i remembered what the checkin agent had said and was waiting to see if i got the magic beep on boarding pass scan. It didnt happen, and no big deal, was happy with the business class seat that i had paid for. However boarding through F overheard 3 passengers in F seats openly discussing with the captain who was saying hi to them (obviously friends) about how surprised they were to be given F seats on standby.

My deduction from this is that rather than do op ups, the flight controller decided to put the standby pax in F?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: OneWorld, Aeroplan,StarAlliance
That doesn’t smell right to me
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by twr
I'm on a flex + JNB to DPS, would it increase my chances if I don't do OLCI and check-in at airport?
It's more likely to increase your chances if you do OLCI as the airline has more confidence you'll actually be travelling and they can plan accordingly.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:39 am
twr

Originally Posted by ft101
It's more likely to increase your chances if you do OLCI as the airline has more confidence you'll actually be travelling and they can plan accordingly.
Cool thanks I'll do that, I see the DXB to dps is allready sold out in business but hoping a business upgrade from Y for the JNB to DXB leg ,first time I'm in a flex+ I'm in blue so I know chances are very slim but miracles do happen
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
I dont want to list the route in case it gets anyone in trouble, but wanted to get your thoughts on something i witnessed today..

Checking in i was told flight was oversold in all cabins except F and there were 4 standbys so there was a likelihood of Op Up to F for me (i was on Business Flex Plus and im Gold). I thought nothing more of it until at the gate when i remembered what the checkin agent had said and was waiting to see if i got the magic beep on boarding pass scan. It didnt happen, and no big deal, was happy with the business class seat that i had paid for. However boarding through F overheard 3 passengers in F seats openly discussing with the captain who was saying hi to them (obviously friends) about how surprised they were to be given F seats on standby.

My deduction from this is that rather than do op ups, the flight controller decided to put the standby pax in F?
Well you don't know for which cabin they were standing by. If they were standby they're probably staff and there are certain groups of staff that have F as their travel entitlement (where available).

Perhaps what the check-in agent meant was there are 3 standby pax for F but should the flight end up fill with confirmed pax and op-ups be required then you'd be getting one. But as the lower classes weren't full in the end then no need for op-ups and the standby pax could travel.

Remember, there's no entitlement to op-ups.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by ft101
While I agree with the logic I don't believe EK factors this in.

Originally Posted by twr
Cool thanks I'll do that, I see the DXB to dps is allready sold out in business but hoping a business upgrade from Y for the JNB to DXB leg ,first time I'm in a flex+ I'm in blue so I know chances are very slim but miracles do happen

forget it, JNB and CPT are notoriously hard for op-ups. Though being flex+ helps the route is fill of business travellers who buy flex plus because loads are high and also full of Plats who all trump you. I'm Gold and always fly on y flex and fly cpt-dxb or vice versa around 16 times a year and have never received an op-up
Tanzguy and Carl380 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Qatar Airways
No upgrades in a couple of years and then two almost in a row...

Upgrade given: J - F
Upgrade location: Boarding pass on the app changed while in lounge; I then went to the desk to get a new paper one (just to be sure...)
Route: DXB - ICN
Flight number: EK322
Type of ticket: Flex Plus
Date of travel: 06/08/19
Tier miles to date: ~ 50k
Skywards miles balance: ~ 190k

Upgrade location: Gate (no change to the mobile boarding pass unlike a few days earlier, which I thought was odd)
Route: DXB - PRG
Flight number: EK139
Type of ticket: Flex
Date of travel: 09/08/19
Tier miles to date: ~ 58k
Skywards miles balance: ~ 212k
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:32 am

Scored a rare upgrade yesterday, that too on the only flight with F on the LGW route (EK11 no longer has F, I believe it's the same with EK9).

Upgrade location: Gate
Route: DXB - LGW
Flight number: EK15
Type of ticket: Saver (O)
Date of travel: 21 Aug 19
Tier miles to date: 61k
Skywards miles balance: 239k

Most of my EK travel these days is in O or I class, so upgrades are a rare beast.
S c 0 TT y, m3red and nmc980 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:26 am

First time ever out of or into CPT! Saw the load a few hours ahead and Y was over by 16 and only 1 Plat and 7 Golds in Y total

Upgrade given: Y-J
Upgrade location: mobile BP updated in lounge
Route: CPT - DXB
Flight number: EK771
Type of ticket: Flex
Date of travel: 22 Aug 2019
Tier miles to date: 68000
Skywards miles balance: 500

Was assigned a middle but saw a blocked window and sweet talked my way into it at the lounge entrance. My middle was quickly taken by another op-up
Tanzguy and XXTSGR like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Flying Accra to Dubai on Sept 4 - Platinum member ......... What are the chances I get bumped up from J to F?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by safari_7
Flying Accra to Dubai on Sept 4 - Platinum member ......... What are the chances I get bumped up from J to F?
Too far ahead to tell. You should ask on the load check request thread closer to departure. As a Plat chances are good if the flight is full
safari_7 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, QR Gold, LH Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Beautiful! Congrats
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Too far ahead to tell. You should ask on the load check request thread closer to departure. As a Plat chances are good if the flight is full

Thanks!!!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
First time ever out of or into CPT! Saw the load a few hours ahead and Y was over by 16 and only 1 Plat and 7 Golds in Y total
As a matter of interest, how are you able to determine the numbers of booked/checked in pax with a particular tier status? I'm amazed that's possible.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by BadoRas
As a matter of interest, how are you able to determine the numbers of booked/checked in pax with a particular tier status? I'm amazed that's possible.
I asked an EK employee that I know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.