Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusing and we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates Skywards. Our award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and flydubai, as well as with our wide selection of partners. Enhance your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2017/2018 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...17-2018-a.html

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Co-Moderator
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:32 am

Question on upgrade with Skyward miles

Hi,

Have booked an Emirates Economy fare that's upgrade-able on the outgoing leg from FRA to SIN (for myself and the missus)
I have 84000 Amex miles I can convert 5 to 4 on Skywards. (67200)

Seems an upgrade can only be booked 72 hours before the flight and it's not guaranteed.

How many miles would it be to upgrade to business ?
Could I upgrade only on the FRA - DXB part (I'm only interested in the A380 really)
Do I have to already have the miles on my Skywards account ? (Don't want my miles trapped in Emirates program)
Can I buy miles to make up the difference if there is one ?

Cheers
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by helmutderhaas
Hi,

Have booked an Emirates Economy fare that's upgrade-able on the outgoing leg from FRA to SIN (for myself and the missus)
I have 84000 Amex miles I can convert 5 to 4 on Skywards. (67200)

Seems an upgrade can only be booked 72 hours before the flight and it's not guaranteed.

How many miles would it be to upgrade to business ?
Could I upgrade only on the FRA - DXB part (I'm only interested in the A380 really)
Do I have to already have the miles on my Skywards account ? (Don't want my miles trapped in Emirates program)
Can I buy miles to make up the difference if there is one ?

Cheers
Sounds like you're on a Saver fare? they're upgradable at OLCI which is 48hrs, and if space is available then confirmed immediately.

The EK website is your friend, you can find the miles required on there, and yes you can upgrade just FRA-DXB, though upgrading all the way will be better value as it's less than upgrading each leg individually. Amex transfers should be instant, though not sure if that is also the case for new links and first transfer.

https://www.emirates.com/account/za/...alculator.aspx
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:43 am

Really terrible - in many cases the economy ticket is actually cheaper then the miles + taxes option. I did not realise it was so bad. According to the calculator LHR - SYD/MEL is 90,000 in business saver for one person...(what a joke!).

I've also looked at FlyDubai options (i.e. paying separately for tickets to DXB and then Fly Dubai options but these are not really better).

Upgrades seem quite hit and miss.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by AS100
Really terrible - in many cases the economy ticket is actually cheaper then the miles + taxes option. I did not realise it was so bad. According to the calculator LHR - SYD/MEL is 90,000 in business saver for one person...(what a joke!).

I've also looked at FlyDubai options (i.e. paying separately for tickets to DXB and then Fly Dubai options but these are not really better).

Upgrades seem quite hit and miss.
Not generally best value but maybe better for your case, you can reduce the cost of cash tickets through co-payment with miles
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:40 am

Thanks - didn't consider that! - will look into it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Aeroplan to Skywards

First time Emirates flyer and trying to do a Skywards upgrade from Business saver to First on YYZ-DXB. Emirates site shows as upgrade available (but I have zero points in my account, of course)

Anyone have any tried and tested methods to transfer Aeroplan points to Skywards without devaluation? Would love to find a way to make this work

Last edited by Zol; Mar 12, 2019 at 12:34 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by jonzboy
I can't fathom out how EK manage miles upgrades. Last year I was desperate to upgrade a J saver flight to F on my DXB/LHR sector. I tried everything. I put myself on auto upgrade, then called EK call centre several times in the week before. At check in I also had no luck. When I arrived at DXB I alerted the lounge staff who said they would try but no promises. Then, at the moment of boarding my boarding pass caused the scanner to bleep and then I knew. Big smiles all round and a new boarding pass, seat 4A. The cabin was, to be honest, full, but that first glass of P2 made all the stress vanish.

Fast forward a few months and I'm booking a flight back out to the far east. Again I opt for J saver and, lo and behold, I am able to upgrade with miles on the LHR to DXB sector six weeks before the flight. EK32 is a good option for an upgrade as it is perfect timing for indulging in the F wine list.

standard operating procedure ex Dxb is to do a waitlist for j to f with miles on busy flights - if you have a mobile BP and refresh you could have had 30mims in the f lounge as the upgrade is done at t-60. Contrast this to an outstation where space available you can use miles at t-3.

upgrade availability is determined on loads and forecasts - the other flight you took on that day was probably quieter hence availability.
UAEBANDIT and jonzboy like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold/ Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dennisthemenace
First time Emirates flyer and trying to do a Skywards upgrade from Business saver to First on YYZ-DXB. Emirates site shows as upgrade available (but I have zero points in my account, of course)

Anyone have any tried and tested methods to transfer Aeroplan points to Skywards without devaluation? Would love to find a way to make this work
I might be wrong but from what I remember you can't do anything with your skywards until you have completed your first flight.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:50 am

My upgrade that I was not notified about

I've just checked again on Expert flyer and there are no more Z seats available and only one more seat besides mine was taken, meaning that they only released 2 Z seats from possibly 10 empty.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 am

I got my upgrade

Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by m3red

standard operating procedure ex Dxb is to do a waitlist for j to f with miles on busy flights - if you have a mobile BP and refresh you could have had 30mims in the f lounge as the upgrade is done at t-60. Contrast this to an outstation where space available you can use miles at t-3.

upgrade availability is determined on loads and forecasts - the other flight you took on that day was probably quieter hence availability.
I may be misunderstanding you but I thought access to F lounge is not applicable on upgrades ? Is that not the case?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by chelseastu
I may be misunderstanding you but I thought access to F lounge is not applicable on upgrades ? Is that not the case?
If you upgrade with miles you get all benefits of upgraded class, except no CD now for Y>J upgrades.

Operational (free) upgrades to not get such benefits, so an op-up from J to F would not get F lounge access.
m3red and UAEBANDIT like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
If you upgrade with miles you get all benefits of upgraded class, except no CD now for Y>J upgrades.

Operational (free) upgrades to not get such benefits, so an op-up from J to F would not get F lounge access.
yes you get lounge but only when the upgrade is processed so at t-1
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Qatar Platinum
After moving to Kuwait I haven’t flown Emirates anywhere near as much (QR beat them on price every time), so I’ve dropped to Silver....

I know silver doesn’t get very much, but does anyone know if I can bring my family, all on same booking but with no status, to the business class check in at Kuwait with me, or the Silver desks in DXB, to skip the queue? Or is it just me alone that can use it? Is there a rule, or is it just a ‘wing it and see’ scenario?

Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Stephenk82
I know silver doesn’t get very much, but does anyone know if I can bring my family, all on same booking but with no status, to the business class check in at Kuwait with me, or the Silver desks in DXB, to skip the queue? Or is it just me alone that can use it? Is there a rule, or is it just a ‘wing it and see’ scenario?
I've certainly taken a travelling companion with no status to Business Class check in with nothing being said, however if my family was like the von Trapps I might think twice. Use your judgement as to whether you think it's reasonable or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.