Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusing and we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates Skywards. Our award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and flydubai, as well as with our wide selection of partners. Enhance your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2017/2018 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...17-2018-a.html

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Co-Moderator
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by UAEBANDIT
I'm gold, on a saver J ticket. Can I get a 1st upgrade before I get to the airport or is this only allowed at check in? (I have the miles). I've auto enabled but never get any joy with that.
You can upgrade anytime - if there's availability.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold/ Hilton Honors Diamond
No reward seats

Thanks. There are no reward seats available. Now they are telling me that there are only 2 seats available for sale, but I see 10 open seats on expertflyer. What I want to know is will they release any seats at check in?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:22 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Thanks. There are no reward seats available. Now they are telling me that there are only 2 seats available for sale, but I see 10 open seats on expertflyer. What I want to know is will they release any seats at check in?
They may or may not, there is no way of knowing this in advance. A few weeks ago, I managed to get two Y to J miles upgrades in the DXB lounge, a few hours before departure (these were not available 6 hours earlier). So that is one option. Finally there is the 'space available' option, where you can upgrade on board.
If you have a paid EF subscription, you can set an alert for Z (F award) bucket availability. You can also set alerts on MMB, but neither of these options seem to be 100% reliable. Some say that contacting the call centre may reveal available upgrades.
UAEBANDIT likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: EK Gold
I can't fathom out how EK manage miles upgrades. Last year I was desperate to upgrade a J saver flight to F on my DXB/LHR sector. I tried everything. I put myself on auto upgrade, then called EK call centre several times in the week before. At check in I also had no luck. When I arrived at DXB I alerted the lounge staff who said they would try but no promises. Then, at the moment of boarding my boarding pass caused the scanner to bleep and then I knew. Big smiles all round and a new boarding pass, seat 4A. The cabin was, to be honest, full, but that first glass of P2 made all the stress vanish.

Fast forward a few months and I'm booking a flight back out to the far east. Again I opt for J saver and, lo and behold, I am able to upgrade with miles on the LHR to DXB sector six weeks before the flight. EK32 is a good option for an upgrade as it is perfect timing for indulging in the F wine list.
UAEBANDIT likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:29 am

Crazy system

Yes I agree there seems to be little reasoning behind their upgrade process. Oh well, if I could set the expert flyer properly it might work. I took a new account to get the 5 days free upgrade but not sure how to set it.😳
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Yes I agree there seems to be little reasoning behind their upgrade process. Oh well, if I could set the expert flyer properly it might work. I took a new account to get the 5 days free upgrade but not sure how to set it.😳
Using the "Awards&Upgrades" tab (the blue one, top left), search for the upgrade. You'll get a list of all options with 'yes' or 'no' in the right hand column.
Look for the flights you want to set the alert for and choose the 'explanation mark' next to it. The 'create flight alert' pop up box will appear and you can complete this to set the alert.
I sometimes find the EF interface less than intuitive but some digging will get you there.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:29 pm

Thanks

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Using the "Awards&Upgrades" tab (the blue one, top left), search for the upgrade. You'll get a list of all options with 'yes' or 'no' in the right hand column.
Look for the flights you want to set the alert for and choose the 'explanation mark' next to it. The 'create flight alert' pop up box will appear and you can complete this to set the alert.
I sometimes find the EF interface less than intuitive but some digging will get you there.
Hope this helps.
thank you very much. As I was doing it I realised that I had done it all before...just brain fry ....it's all set up now. I was trying to do it on the app, but on the website it was much easier.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards
I spent some time last week researching why Customer Services quoted much more than expected to upgrade Y to J (before booking the ticket, wanted to be sure I could do it). Eventually worked it out - I could upgrade from Y Flex+ straight away, but there was no availability for upgrade from Y Flex. Is this a new perk of Flex+? - I've never seen mention of it on FT.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:49 pm

Suggestions!

Hi, I was previously based in Dubai where I was mostly flying Emirates. Now having moved back to London I'm looking to use those accumulated Skywards points (161,000 miles with 10,000 expiring this month).

Any suggestions of where I can go with the points...2 adults and a child. I've looked around and every option seems to have almost no value for the points. - the online calculator suggests that I should be able to tickets to most places but when I try to book the number of points required is vastly different and the tax amount is almost the same price as buying the tickets directly with cash. Am I missing a trick?

Dates 25th Aug to 5th Sept or second half of Sept...have flexibility around those days but 10/12 days would be ideal.

Open to any destination which provides good value for these points.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
They may or may not, there is no way of knowing this in advance. A few weeks ago, I managed to get two Y to J miles upgrades in the DXB lounge, a few hours before departure (these were not available 6 hours earlier). So that is one option. Finally there is the 'space available' option, where you can upgrade on board.
If you have a paid EF subscription, you can set an alert for Z (F award) bucket availability. You can also set alerts on MMB, but neither of these options seem to be 100% reliable. Some say that contacting the call centre may reveal available upgrades.
MMB?

TD
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:41 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

MMB?

TD
Sorry
Manage My Booking. On the EK website
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:26 am

I got my upgrade

So with 4 days to go I decided to log on to the Emirates app and check that I was still auto enabled for upgrade, and it had a new page asking me to check and confirm the use of my miles! I clicked and upgraded.
I received no emails prior to this from Emirates or Expert Flyer ( yes I set the alert and received the test email)...

So I've got my 2K seat and let that be a lesson to everyone, keep on manually checking!
Traveler Dave and jonzboy like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:28 am

Taxes and charges can make regular economy award tickets very poor value as you've found out. Better value is often found by purchasing economy tickets and using your miles to upgrade, but you may have trouble getting 3 upgrade rewards at once. 161,000 miles split 3 ways is only 54,000 miles each so not really a lot.

Look at redemptions on easyJet perhaps?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:34 am

Were you charged the full mileage for the upgrade?

I had something similar last week where auto upgrade and notifications were set, but nothing happened until I looked myself. What I found was a discounted mileage upgrade offer and I wondered whether that was the cause of the system not working as it should.
UAEBANDIT likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:41 am

39,000 miles Saver upgrade Z

I was charged the correct amount. Oh well....at least I got it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.