Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusing and we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates Skywards. Our award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and flydubai, as well as with our wide selection of partners. Enhance your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2017/2018 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...17-2018-a.html

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Co-Moderator
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:03 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by BryanD
I appreciate all the input and now know a lot more about how the program works. But does anyone happen to know whether you need to be in the same class & same fare bucket both directions of a round-trip? I was hoping to pay 50% of the cheapest First RT price and 50% of the cheapest Business RT price. Thank you.
No, you can be in different cabins and also different fare buckets on the outbound and the inbound. Having said that, I don’t think ALL combinations are allowed. I vaguely remember that sometime in the rather distant past I could not combine a Savet Y fare with a business fare. But most combinations are allowed.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:10 am

Thank you very much.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
I have many miles expiring in June 2021. My plan was to use them all for a family trip, but with Covid-19 I don't think it will be possible by June 2021.
At the same time, I will not be renewed Platinum given I have flown very little since February, like everybody else I guess.

Do you think Emirates will grant an special extension on Platinum or on miles expiring in the next few months? I can imagine I am not the only one in this situation.
Assuming there won't be any extension, what would be the best way to use the miles? Do you know if I can book a ticket with open dates or similar?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by josep
I have many miles expiring in June 2021. My plan was to use them all for a family trip, but with Covid-19 I don't think it will be possible by June 2021.
At the same time, I will not be renewed Platinum given I have flown very little since February, like everybody else I guess.

Do you think Emirates will grant an special extension on Platinum or on miles expiring in the next few months? I can imagine I am not the only one in this situation.
Assuming there won't be any extension, what would be the best way to use the miles? Do you know if I can book a ticket with open dates or similar?
Have a look at the last page on this thread :-

Skywards Tier Retention

Specifically, your Platinum status should extend for a further year.

As for the Skywards Miles, at the moment they will still expire in June 2021. However, I'd hope Emirates would show some leniency on this as we get towards the end of the year. At the moment, they are only extending validity of miles expiring up to 31st December 2020.

Skywards Tier Retention
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Have a look at the last page on this thread :-

Skywards Tier Retention

Specifically, your Platinum status should extend for a further year.

As for the Skywards Miles, at the moment they will still expire in June 2021. However, I'd hope Emirates would show some leniency on this as we get towards the end of the year. At the moment, they are only extending validity of miles expiring up to 31st December 2020.

Skywards Tier Retention
Isn’t there a platinum benefit that says skywards miles don’t expire as long as you remain platinum?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican
Isn’t there a platinum benefit that says skywards miles don’t expire as long as you remain platinum?
Good point! I've never reached the dizzy heights of Platinum. So, @josep should be good.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Good point! I've never reached the dizzy heights of Platinum. So, @josep should be good.
there is a bug in the website (shocker) that says miles will expire, even when logged in as platinum/io. As m3red pointed out EKIT isn't the best. @josep don't worry your miles won't expire.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
there is a bug in the website (shocker) that says miles will expire, even when logged in as platinum/io. As m3red pointed out EKIT isn't the best. @josep don't worry your miles won't expire.
Thank you for the answers! As long as EK extends Platinum, I should be fine then. I am reading on another thread that it looks like EK will certainly extend Silver, Gold, Platinum tiers, so let's hope that happens.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by josep
Thank you for the answers! As long as EK extends Platinum, I should be fine then. I am reading on another thread that it looks like EK will certainly extend Silver, Gold, Platinum tiers, so let's hope that happens.
it’s done. 12 months extension for everyone from original review dates. Comms only come through at review date, but the position is up on the EK website.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:22 pm

Economy flex fare upgraded to business with miles. Flight cancelled. Agent says I can choose another date with no fare increase but can only upgrade to business with miles again if availability? Is that right? Surely they just honour the upgraded ticket for any other date irrespective of award upgrade availability.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mattoo
Economy flex fare upgraded to business with miles. Flight cancelled. Agent says I can choose another date with no fare increase but can only upgrade to business with miles again if availability? Is that right? Surely they just honour the upgraded ticket for any other date irrespective of award upgrade availability.
You would assume they would just honour the upgraded class, but unfortunately its probably an IT restriction that they simply cannot override. If the ticket type shows as Y (despite being upgraded) they can only rebook in Y, and check if there are J seats available on the new flight.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:01 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
You would assume they would just honour the upgraded class, but unfortunately its probably an IT restriction that they simply cannot override. If the ticket type shows as Y (despite being upgraded) they can only rebook in Y, and check if there are J seats available on the new flight.
The problem might well be that they won't look for J seats but for D fare bucket (which is the inventory that upgrades and awards come from). Which makes it more difficult. If you do a dummy booking and see if there are award seats available on the flight you want, you can upgrade as well.
I agree that it is a bit rough that the 'fly when you want to without extra costs' does not appear to extend to (miles) upgrades. But I have no other suggestions as to how to get around it (assume you have contacted the call centre?)
mattoo and IntrepidAfrican like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by thijsseh
The problem might well be that they won't look for J seats but for D fare bucket (which is the inventory that upgrades and awards come from). Which makes it more difficult. If you do a dummy booking and see if there are award seats available on the flight you want, you can upgrade as well.
I agree that it is a bit rough that the 'fly when you want to without extra costs' does not appear to extend to (miles) upgrades. But I have no other suggestions as to how to get around it (assume you have contacted the call centre?)
Have had multiple tickets affected by this. You need to call the call centre and specifically ask for them to request the Head office to release a unit of D/Z inventory depending on your upgrade. This took less than a day for me. Of course it helps if you happen to know people in inventory
mattoo and ElJudioErrante like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:01 am

Ok thanks everyone for the heads up. If there is availability for upgrade on the new dates I will prob just go with that for ease but if not will try the other options mentioned. Thanks again for the insight.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican
it’s done. 12 months extension for everyone from original review dates. Comms only come through at review date, but the position is up on the EK website.
Following up on the tier extension. I found this text on the website:
"For members with a current tier review date between September 2020 and August 2021, your tier review date will be extended by 12 months. This will reflect on your profile after your existing tier review date. For example, if you have a tier review date of 31 March 2021, this will be adjusted to 31 March 2022. Keeping your current tier status will be based on your travel activity between 31 March 2021 and 31 March 2022.

For members whose tier status has been extended in 2020 and your current tier review date is 31 October 2020, your tier review date will be extended by 12 months from your original tier review date. For example, if you had an original tier review date of 31 March 2020, this will be adjusted to 31 March 2021"

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...ywards-status/

For those already extended once in 2020, will EK extend again till 2022?
In my case I was extended in April 2020 until April 2021, so was wondering if in April 2021 I will automatically get extended till April 2022.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.