Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's up with EK Business?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I disagree about the lounges. They are a world better than the home lounges of most other airlines.
I totally agree with DYKWIA.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
........... for my travel patterns they have the route network, timings and consistency (and low prices) that I need. And generall never more than a 4 hour layover........
That is exactly why I stick with EK. If they started dropping routes or fiddling badly with departure/arrival times, I would need to consider other airlines. But right now, I have no complaints at all.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ung1
Emirates used to have consistently great service some 10 years ago. What I’ve realized since is that even other “top” airlines like SQ and QR can be mediocre even though everyone raves about them. So a lot is down to luck?

what is usually more predictable is ground experience and here EK is awful at DXB in terms of transfers and lounges, especially in First, when compared to LH/LX. Hard product wise in business these days I’m a big fan of the herringbone seats on CX/QR.
Whilst I would agree it is generally down to luck, I have noticed a few patterns on certain flights. For example, flights to Manchester - whilst the bar is always busy I have found a few times where most of the crew are from the Manchester/Liverpool area and act like their work on board is an inconvenience they have to put up with in order to get home. Whilst flights to London generally have crew from all over the place who 'bid' for it to go and do a bit of shopping and these flights generally have pretty good service. With that said, if I had the choice I would still always fly in to Manchester.

Despite the vast amount of people to serve downstairs, I always find the economy crew to be better, maybe because they are newer in the job and are still fresh? I didn't fly economy in 2018 but I hope this is still the case going in to the new year as it will be where I will be located more often than not.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Will08
For example, flights to Manchester - whilst the bar is always busy I have found a few times where most of the crew are from the Manchester/Liverpool

The cabin crew are all DXB based. You may get a few across the flight that are from Liverpool / Manchester, but in no way "most". My last 2 flights to/from MAN were staffed with the usual mix of western & eastern European, Asian, African and a rather memorable Australian. Plus one scouser doing the bar who was great.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I disagree about the lounges. They are a world better than the home lounges of most other airlines.
Maybe in C, yes, although I find the DXB lounges too big and noisy and not a calm oasis, even if the catering is indeed far superior to anything else (was recently at the BA "F lounge" that re-opened at JFK and they basically had no food!).

But as F lounges go, I am a much bigger fan of LH, LX, SQ, CX, AA, QF lounges - if EK just had a bit less light and noise from the rest of the terminal that would make it a much nicer experience!

Then again last week I was at the "lounge" in ZNZ and that does put things a bit into perspective...
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

The cabin crew are all DXB based. You may get a few across the flight that are from Liverpool / Manchester, but in no way "most". My last 2 flights to/from MAN were staffed with the usual mix of western & eastern European, Asian, African and a rather memorable Australian. Plus one scouser doing the bar who was great.
I think it's common knowledge that they are all Dubai based.

On my BKK-SYD flight not so long ago the purser was saying how the crew tend to not put in for Manchester to allow those from the area to go "home" which is in line with my experiences on the MAN flight. Granted from a data point that has not been many flights over the last 12 months.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aceboy44
As previously mentioned the EK business class cabin is not up to par with the competition so I understand your frustrations regarding the seat/cabin/storage/etc, so if these things were crucial to you perhaps first class would've been a better experience for you? Despite knowing this (and having flown a variety of reputable airlines on long-haul business class) I continue to fly EK since I enjoy my experience with EK. I enjoy the lounges I experience before my flight, I enjoy the IFE, I enjoy being appreciated for being a loyal passenger (YMMV,) I enjoy the spacious and comfortable economy class seats on all of their aircraft, and most importantly I enjoy the amenity kits/pijamas served to first class passengers and I enjoy showering on their A380 fleet. Having flown a variety of reputable airlines I never found an airline that provides me the EK experience, which is why I'm loyal to them.

If cabin crew is your main concern regarding flying then I strongly recommend you try Qatar Airways, as my personal experience with them regarding cabin crew was extraordinary.
Okay, but what is so great about "the EK experience" anywhere outside of First Class?? You cannot judge an airline based off of its First Class product
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Speedbird48
Okay, but what is so great about "the EK experience" anywhere outside of First Class?? You cannot judge an airline based off of its First Class product
Agreed! I often judge an airline by how they treat their economy passengers as that's what I fly most often and in my experience, EK offers a great Y experience and the most consistent one across major airlines. Adding in their network, timings and frequencies, I am willing to pay a little more to fly them over say QR, EY, and TK for example. Just one man's opinion
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
All of EK's fleet economy class seats are spacious (plenty of legroom and it's comfortable to recline for resting.) In addition, you get very good IFE (the best in the world IME.) Economy class prices are up to par with competition. Eye-masks in economy class are available as opposed to other airlines. Hot drinks (like hot chocolate) is available in economy class.

What other airline offers similar experience in economy class?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I’m an inexperienced EK traveller, with 8 flights in total (4J, 4Y). In Y they are up there with SQ & CX of the nineties. J is not as good in comparison, but still highly enjoyable. The food was very tasty and plentiful. As for crew, I met a nasty one on my very first EK flight, but apart from her they’ve all been wonderful. I even found the 10-abreast 777 comfy.

When you’re the size of EK you’re bound to have a few bad apples and slip ups. That doesn’t make it a bad airline.

PS I don’t like Moët or Veuve lol
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aceboy44
All of EK's fleet economy class seats are spacious (plenty of legroom and it's comfortable to recline for resting.) In addition, you get very good IFE (the best in the world IME.) Economy class prices are up to par with competition. Eye-masks in economy class are available as opposed to other airlines. Hot drinks (like hot chocolate) is available in economy class.

What other airline offers similar experience in economy class?
I walked through EKs 777 Economy, it was very very very cramped looking at 3-4-3 but I suppose it had ample leg room
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I walked through EKs 777 Economy, it was very very very cramped looking at 3-4-3 but I suppose it had ample leg room
The 3-4-3 never really bothers me but I am also only 178cm and 72kg so I can understand larger people may not like it. I never really notice the slightly reduced seat width compared to SQ and I think EK make the aisles narrower to not have to make the seat too narrow. What does register immediately when I sit on other airlines is the lesser leg room.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by kq747
The 3-4-3 never really bothers me but I am also only 178cm and 72kg so I can understand larger people may not like it. I never really notice the slightly reduced seat width compared to SQ and I think EK make the aisles narrower to not have to make the seat too narrow. What does register immediately when I sit on other airlines is the lesser leg room.
I'm big, and I've never noticed the seats being any narrower. As you say, most of the width is made up the narrower aisles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.