Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by gbongc
I've been searching around the forums and I don't know if there is a hard and fast rule regarding amenity kits and pajamas on EK F. I am planning to fly either EK381 (HKG-DXB midnight flight) or EK323 (ICN-DXB 11pm flight). I've read some posts say only flights >9.5hrs or overnight flights get these pajamas? Neither of these flights are over 9.5hrs, but they are both overnight flights. Anyone have experience with similar situations and have gotten pajamas?
Many times - if PJs aren't offered proactively, just ask for them. You are on an inbound flight so if they've been loaded, you'll get them!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
You're right, I misinterpreted it completely. Looks like they got a good result.
Yup, thanks for trying to help. What's DC?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by gbenrus25
Yup, thanks for trying to help. What's DC?
Dubai Connect. If the shortest connection available exceeds 6hrs in J / F or 8hrs in Y (and meets a minimum fare required) EK provides a free hotel, visa (if needed), meals and hotel transfers
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:23 pm

Sorry if this is easy to find, but is there a sticky anywhere that deals with maximising your first First experience? There is one in the BA forum and so was thinking about something like that.

Thank you.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:04 am

No sticky, but Google found this:

Making the most of First Class
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:45 am
TTH

Code breaking

Hi

I’m new here and just browsing through. I noticed a lot of codes like ‘I'm flying tomorrow on a flight showing Y, E, R, W = 1’ or ‘the flight is oversold by 5-15’

What does Y, E, R, W and 5-15 mean?

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by TTH
Hi

I’m new here and just browsing through. I noticed a lot of codes like ‘I'm flying tomorrow on a flight showing Y, E, R, W = 1’ or ‘the flight is oversold by 5-15’

What does Y, E, R, W and 5-15 mean?

Thank you in advance
Those letter codes are called "Fare buckets" and the number being given (usually out of a tool like expertflyer) is some insight into the ticketing engine the airline uses to sell tickets.

Y is usually the most expensive economy class fare bucket- so if the airline is showing availability for sale as "Y0" they won't be offering seats for sale in economy.

Y = Economy, W is usually Premium economy, J is Business class, and F is first class, but other letters are used as well to indicate seats sold in different "fare buckets".
An example of an upcoming Emirates flight from Dubai to Sydney shows this:
F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O0 H0 Y0 E0 R0 W0 M0B0 U0 K0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0
F and A are first class buckets, J C I O are business, and the rest are economy.

This shows that Emirates aren't selling any more seats in economy, but are still selling at least 7 in business and 4 in first (you can't add them together and say there are 8 in first, it doesn't quite work that way)

These fare buckets will also usually have a correlation to the 'flexibility' of the fare, with the most expensive ones being the most flexible.

Re: the "oversold by 5-15" I would assume someone's referring to number of seats oversold, i.e. that there are potential upgrades to passengers if they're in economy and there are still free seats in business (but as always, you can also be disappointed and not make the flight if it's completely oversold).

The 5-15 number is something you'd need to have access to an airline system to get accurately, I would think.

Hope this helps?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by pythonisman
Those letter codes are called "Fare buckets" and the number being given (usually out of a tool like expertflyer) is some insight into the ticketing engine the airline uses to sell tickets.

Y is usually the most expensive economy class fare bucket- so if the airline is showing availability for sale as "Y0" they won't be offering seats for sale in economy.

Y = Economy, W is usually Premium economy, J is Business class, and F is first class, but other letters are used as well to indicate seats sold in different "fare buckets".
An example of an upcoming Emirates flight from Dubai to Sydney shows this:
F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O0 H0 Y0 E0 R0 W0 M0B0 U0 K0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0
F and A are first class buckets, J C I O are business, and the rest are economy.

This shows that Emirates aren't selling any more seats in economy, but are still selling at least 7 in business and 4 in first (you can't add them together and say there are 8 in first, it doesn't quite work that way)

These fare buckets will also usually have a correlation to the 'flexibility' of the fare, with the most expensive ones being the most flexible.

Re: the "oversold by 5-15" I would assume someone's referring to number of seats oversold, i.e. that there are potential upgrades to passengers if they're in economy and there are still free seats in business (but as always, you can also be disappointed and not make the flight if it's completely oversold).

The 5-15 number is something you'd need to have access to an airline system to get accurately, I would think.

Hope this helps?
Excellent explanation. One addition: H is now also Business (Special, newly added recently, see New Business Class Fare Bucket) and the 5-15 was my comment on the other thread re A380 seating, which was a guess on my part based on the provided info. Essentially if an aircraft has 400 Economy, 100 Business and 20 First seats (random numbers for illustration), EK might sell 420 Economy tickets, knowing, or predicting that they will only sell 30 Business class tickets. Or even more complex, they will factor in the empty seats they forecast in First as well and add them together. The idea is to fill every seat in the plane, even if this means giving out a handful of free upgrades. There are also forecasts for no-shows etc.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Excellent explanation. One addition: H is now also Business (Special, newly added recently, see New Business Class Fare Bucket)
Interesting. I knew about the new fare and its placement before Y makes sense but expertflyer classifies it as Coach at the moment so I didn’t include it.

Good to know 👍🏻
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:33 am

Does anyone know when the new menus are released for flights in the following month? I'm flying on 1 Aug but am just getting told "We haven’t confirmed the menu for your departure date yet."

Far from urgent, but was just wondering
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Does anyone know when the new menus are released for flights in the following month? I'm flying on 1 Aug but am just getting told "We haven’t confirmed the menu for your departure date yet."

Far from urgent, but was just wondering
They will be available after midnight DXB time on Aug 1.
pythonisman likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: QFF
First post - please be gentle

I am flying Emirates First Class from Tokyo (Narita) to Zurich via DXB on a Qantas award seat. I am a Qantas Club and Silver level member. This is the first time for us in either business or First.

Is the Emirates lounge at Narita terminal 2 the only lounge I can access. Am I able to access the QF or JAL lounge instead?

We arrive in Dubai at 3.35am at Terminal 3. What is the best lounge to go to in Dubai for the First class passengers arriving at terminal 3?

I understand the lounges are 24/7 but are they staffed sufficiently at that ungodly hour to get a decent feed or free massage?

You help is much appreciated.
Peter
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Matera1992
First post - please be gentle

I am flying Emirates First Class from Tokyo (Narita) to Zurich via DXB on a Qantas award seat. I am a Qantas Club and Silver level member. This is the first time for us in either business or First.

Is the Emirates lounge at Narita terminal 2 the only lounge I can access. Am I able to access the QF or JAL lounge instead?

We arrive in Dubai at 3.35am at Terminal 3. What is the best lounge to go to in Dubai for the First class passengers arriving at terminal 3?

I understand the lounges are 24/7 but are they staffed sufficiently at that ungodly hour to get a decent feed or free massage?

You help is much appreciated.
Peter
Hi Peter, welcome to the Emirates board. 3am is pretty much the busiest hour of the day at DXB, so don't worry about staffing, etc. Terminal 3 consists of three concourses, A, B and C, A being the newest and C the oldest. You could arrive at any of the three and depart at any of the three, there are no fixed rules that certain flights only depart from a specific concourse.

All three concourses have a dedicated Emirates First Class Lounge. In Concourse A this lounge is a separate floor above the regular concourse and extends the full length of the building, over 1km long (!!). This is the newest of the lounges. In concourse B the J and F lounges share one floor and each take up half a concourse-length (meeting in the middle where the main entrance is, i.e. as you come up the escalator it's left for business and right for First.

In concourse C the lounge is near C20 or so, I believe (i generally only get to use the J lounge ). There is also an additional lounge at the far end of concourse C at C7, which is helpful if you're departing from the far end and don't have a very long transit (<3h), however this is a joint business and first lounge.

The A and B lounges are generally considered the better, with some disagreement over which is actually better. B is smaller (still massive, though!!) so some feel like it's more of a "lounge". At A it's essentially a private First class concourse, rather than a lounge.
Matera1992 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by kq747
They will be available after midnight DXB time on Aug 1.
For what it's worth, the menus were made available overnight.
Pity though - I liked the sound of July's food much more than August's!

Are there threads in here for peoples' opinion of Emirates J catering / dishes and what's good / to avoid?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
For what it's worth, the menus were made available overnight.
Pity though - I liked the sound of July's food much more than August's!

Are there threads in here for peoples' opinion of Emirates J catering / dishes and what's good / to avoid?
This thread Onboard F&B has probably got the most discussion with regards to menus and onboard catering.

S
pythonisman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.