Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:07 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by vji6697
Hi

Got a few questions around the cash upgrades that I read can be offered upon online check in.

There are 2 of us flying on EK18 on Friday 19th April MAN-DXB and then on EK 382 (DXB to HKG) the following day.

I know I wont get an email offering an upgrade as I booked via a travel agent, so my question is two fold

1) Could anyone tell me what the availability for J is on these 2 flights - ie, what are the chances that seats will be free
2) What is the typical cost for each of the legs per person. I have read $1000 pp per leg, but hoping someone has some real world figures.

Thanks

V/
It is not very helpful to look at availability this long in advance, having said that, J Saver (O bucket) is currently available on 18/382. So plenty availability now, but no one knows what it will be nearer to 19/4 which is about 5 weeks away!
The question of what an email upgrade offer would be in $ terms is moot in your case. If you don’t get the email offer you can’t buy the seats. They book in P bucket, which - to my understanding - is not available in any other way.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh

It is not very helpful to look at availability this long in advance, having said that, J Saver (O bucket) is currently available on 18/382. So plenty availability now, but no one knows what it will be nearer to 19/4 which is about 5 weeks away!
The question of what an email upgrade offer would be in $ terms is moot in your case. If you don’t get the email offer you can’t buy the seats. They book in P bucket, which - to my understanding - is not available in any other way.
It is available when you complete OLCI via the desktop website,as long as P is >0 I've always had an offer during OLCI
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:49 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It is available when you complete OLCI via the desktop website,as long as P is >0 I've always had an offer during OLCI
Ah, I see. The times have had the misfortune to have been flying Y, P has clearly never been available as I have never been offered such a ‘deal’.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:17 pm

Thanks all

I recalled that in 2016 I did something similar and it cost around Ł450 from MAN - DXB and a bit less to MRU, so hoping it will be something similar
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM
Hi Folks, visitor from Skyteam world here - just had the opportunity to fly J on the 380 MXP-JFK and very impressed - I'm kind of hooked.

Looking to buy Flex-Y fares and use miles (transferred from AX-MR)- at least until I earn enough) to upgrade.
Been reading and see that EF has upgrade availability, but is there any other way to see without calling? (I cancelled my pro account there when DL cut them off.)

Does J Award availability imply Y-J upgrade availability?
Booking the one flight I just flew, I recall seeing availability somewhere during the booking process and dummy booking for future flights simply doesn't show anything - is that a clear no to availability?

Thanks in advance for your gentle assistance and/or pointing me to a thread that can help..

(Oh side note - when I booked it said upgradeable at 39000 miles. So I xferred 39K, then at booking it only took 31,000... is that normal? some kind of promo?)

ETA: One more question if you'll indulge me - forgot to think about it before I left and then asked on arrival at JFK about the Chauffeur Drive and was denied. Was that because I didn't pre-book? Or because they don't offer it on upgrades? Would it be offered on straight miles Awards?

^^ thanks^^

Last edited by remyontheroad; Mar 18, 2019 at 7:15 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:46 am

PJ's

Do they offer PJ's for infants in F? Next week im flying with my kids in F... Boy 7 months and girl 2.5 years
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by larzy1977
Do they offer PJ's for infants in F? Next week im flying with my kids in F... Boy 7 months and girl 2.5 years
no
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Hi Folks, visitor from Skyteam world here - just had the opportunity to fly J on the 380 MXP-JFK and very impressed - I'm kind of hooked.

Looking to buy Flex-Y fares and use miles (transferred from AX-MR)- at least until I earn enough) to upgrade.
Been reading and see that EF has upgrade availability, but is there any other way to see without calling? (I cancelled my pro account there when DL cut them off.)

Does J Award availability imply Y-J upgrade availability?
Booking the one flight I just flew, I recall seeing availability somewhere during the booking process and dummy booking for future flights simply doesn't show anything - is that a clear no to availability?

Thanks in advance for your gentle assistance and/or pointing me to a thread that can help..

(Oh side note - when I booked it said upgradeable at 39000 miles. So I xferred 39K, then at booking it only took 31,000... is that normal? some kind of promo?)

ETA: One more question if you'll indulge me - forgot to think about it before I left and then asked on arrival at JFK about the Chauffeur Drive and was denied. Was that because I didn't pre-book? Or because they don't offer it on upgrades? Would it be offered on straight miles Awards?

^^ thanks^^
Welcome to the world of bling! If J Saver Awards are available then upgrades are, too. Once you book you can see on MMB too. CD must be pre-booked and is no longer available on upgrades (and I think award bookings) as of 1st March.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Welcome to the world of bling! If J Saver Awards are available then upgrades are, too. Once you book you can see on MMB too. CD must be pre-booked and is no longer available on upgrades (and I think award bookings) as of 1st March.
Correct! No more CD on awards or upgrades unless the services were booked before March 1 including travel dates after March 1 that was booked prior to the change.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:47 am

Hi all - quick question on the rewards program: with the current Capital One transfer bonus is there any reason not to take advantage of this offer? (This is the newbie lounge right ) Eventually hoping to score two F tickets and have a good amount of these points on hand. Thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:04 am

Which bonus? For credit card related discussions the credit card forum is likely the better location, most of the users here fly EK and earn miles that way, there's a limited amount of cc related knowledge and it mainly relates to the MBNA and Amex cards (based on historic threads here)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Which bonus? For credit card related discussions the credit card forum is likely the better location, most of the users here fly EK and earn miles that way, there's a limited amount of cc related knowledge and it mainly relates to the MBNA and Amex cards (based on historic threads here)
There's currently a 100% transfer bonus promo from capital one to skywards

Originally Posted by Milwaukee
Hi all - quick question on the rewards program: with the current Capital One transfer bonus is there any reason not to take advantage of this offer? (This is the newbie lounge right ) Eventually hoping to score two F tickets and have a good amount of these points on hand. Thank you!
On a personal level, I don't think Skywards is the best program to redeem miles for award tickets on EK; I prefer to buy a ticket and upgrade which I see as better redemption value. JAL is regarded as better for award ticket redemption but can have high taxes (also not sure if they are transfer partner with capital one). Ultimately you need to make the choice but I guess with 100% bonus it's almost like getting a 50% discount on miles required which could be good value.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Thanks!
So just to be clear, I can see it for sure AFTER I book, not before?
If I book MXP-JFK-MXP then I assume I don't get the 24hrs to cancel mandated for Ex-USA bookings, right?
Hm...Unless I go through an OTA....

Is it generally Safe and sure that if the Saver Award is there, than the Upgrade is?

I honestly would really prefer to stick with my C+ seats on Skyteam than find myself stuck in regular Y on the 380 or the EK (Or AF/KL) 10-across on the 777.

Just want to make sure I don't get caught out with Y tix and no upgrade.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:12 pm

Thanks!
So just to be clear, I can see it for sure AFTER I book, not before?
If I book MXP-JFK-MXP then I assume I don't get the 24hrs to cancel mandated for Ex-USA bookings, right?
Hm...Unless I go through an OTA....

Is it generally Safe and sure that if the Saver Award is there, than the Upgrade is?

I honestly would really prefer to stick with my C+ seats on Skyteam than find myself stuck in regular Y on the 380 or the EK (Or AF/KL) 10-across on the 777.

Just want to make sure I don't get caught out with Y tix and no upgrade.

Thanks again!
You can see it before, if J Saver Awards are available, which is what I said. Additionally after you book you can see it in MMB
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:41 am

I've had a couple of upgrades recently where some sort of promo was in place for reduced miles. I've no idea how it's worked out or if you can tell in advance, but gladly accept them when they turn up.

You can see it before, if J Saver Awards are available, which is what I said.
I've found it more difficult to see recently. Unless you have enough miles in your account, you can't get through to the page that shows you if there are Saver or Flex Rewards available. You can work it out from the total miles, and from the days if it's Saver one way and Flex the other, but it takes a bit of brain work. Is there an easier way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.