Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Skywards
Silver bookings

Hi, I have silver tier, what benefits will my passenger have if I book our tickets together in one booking? He is non silver

Will he get 12kg extra or just free allocated seatimg?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:52 pm

Neither of the 2 you mention. He can check in and board with you and other status members.

https://www.emirates.com/english/boo...eat-selection/
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:44 am
ur0

Hey everyone! I'm from BOM, and will be moving to BCN soon-ish as I got a nice gig. I've travelled with EK (Y) a few times, and haven't ever been lucky enough to get an OP-up. Since I've only got a blue in Skywards and have been looking to try out J if not F, I'll be treating myself to a J flight later this year (which'll also get me into Silver).

With this intro out of the way, what's a good way to build tier miles? I understandably can't afford to travel J/F every time I want to fly, so I'm a bit out of ideas. Besides, I can't find any cards in the EEA that'll award miles, so I'm looking for advice from the gurus here.

I'm also a complete noob when it comes to all of this, so I really hope the next few questions don't offend people:

1. Do I earn miles if I upgrade a full Y fare to J using (i) cash or (ii) purchased miles?
2. Is there any way I can earn tier miles if I book EK for my family of 3?
3. Is there another carrier which serves BOM-BCN with a better FF program?

Thanks!

Last edited by ur0; Dec 21, 2019 at 11:46 pm
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:38 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ur0
Hey everyone! I'm from BOM, and will be moving to BCN soon-is as I got a nice gig. I've travelled with EK (Y) a few times, and haven't ever been lucky enough to get an OP-up. Since I've only got a blue in Skywards and have been looking to try out J if not F, I'll be treating myself to a J flight later this year (which'll also get me into Silver).

With this intro out of the way, what's a good way to build tier miles? I understandably can't afford to travel J/F every time I want to fly, so I'm a bit out of ideas. Besides, I can't find any cards in the EEA that'll award miles, so I'm looking for advice from the gurus here.

I'm also a complete noob when it comes to all of this, so I really hope the next few questions don't offend people:

1. Do I earn miles if I upgrade a full Y fare to J using (i) cash or (ii) purchased miles?
2. Is there any way I can earn tier miles if I book EK for my family of 3?

Thanks!
Hello ur0, welcome to FlyerTalk and the Emirates forum.

To quickly answer your questions:
1 you get miles for the class that you pay for (in cash). So if you buy Y and use miles to upgrade to J, you get miles (Skywards as well as tier) for Y. If you use cash to upgrade, your new ticket is seen as J, so earns J miles.
2.You only get tier miles for yourself, not for family members. You can set up a family account and ‘combine’ Skywards miles, but not tier miles. There is no easy way to get tier miles apart from flying. Even when you get silver or above, your tier mile earning rate remains the same, only the ticket type will make a difference (both class of service and fare type)
3. I can’t answer your question about other carriers/ FFP’s between BOM and BCN.

Good luck in getting your status up and looking forward to see you here again!
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by ur0
Despite this being Flyertalk, I would advise choosing your carrier with very little regard whatsoever for their FF program. Choose based on price, quality, timings, frequency etc first. It's good to have status but if you've got to try too hard to achieve/maintain it then it's probably not worth it.

With BOM-DXB being under 3 hours and 5 flights per day, you're never going to be too far from home comforts.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:47 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ft101
Despite this being Flyertalk, I would advise choosing your carrier with very little regard whatsoever for their FF program. Choose based on price, quality, timings, frequency etc first. It's good to have status but if you've got to try too hard to achieve/maintain it then it's probably not worth it.

With BOM-DXB being under 3 hours and 5 flights per day, you're never going to be too far from home comforts.
Even as an Emirates ‘ambassador’ on FlyerTalk, I completely agree with ft101!
Your choice of airline depends on all the factors he (she?) mentions, the FFP is just an addition to this!
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:34 am
ur0

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Even as an Emirates ‘ambassador’ on FlyerTalk, I completely agree with ft101!
Your choice of airline depends on all the factors he (she?) mentions, the FFP is just an addition to this!
Thanks thijsseh and ft101 for the insightful advice. Glad to be here, and I'm also considering EY and Qatar after reading your suggestions.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:37 am

Question Connection through MXP

I was originally scheduled to return back from BLR through DXB then on to JFK nonstop. However, I had to change my plans to return from HYD through DXB to JFK. The new DXB -> JFK flight now stops in MXP for two hours. Is this a normal route?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by rwessman
I was originally scheduled to return back from BLR through DXB then on to JFK nonstop. However, I had to change my plans to return from HYD through DXB to JFK. The new DXB -> JFK flight now stops in MXP for two hours. Is this a normal route?
The website clearly indicates there is a stop in Milan. EK does offer this flight as 5/6th freedom. There are 2 non-stop flights, EK201 and EK203.
rwessman likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:32 pm

Yes, a regular route. There is also Athens to Newark and Barcelona to Mexico City, both of which originate in DXB, but can be booked from Europe to The Americas, although these two aren't offered as direct, unlike JFK.
rwessman likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Hi guys,

just wanted to check here, as the info on emirates site only mentions F lounge access with guests if you have skyward membership.... But we will be traveling 4 adults and 2 kids.. 2 adults in F, and the rest in J... was wondering if the 2 with F lounge access will be able to bring the other 2 adults and 2 kids with them into the F lounge in DXB, if no-one has any EK status at all?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Yes, a regular route. There is also Athens to Newark and Barcelona to Mexico City, both of which originate in DXB, but can be booked from Europe to The Americas, although these two aren't offered as direct, unlike JFK.
minor thing but DXB-EWR is offered direct as well
rwessman likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tfung
Hi guys,

just wanted to check here, as the info on emirates site only mentions F lounge access with guests if you have skyward membership.... But we will be traveling 4 adults and 2 kids.. 2 adults in F, and the rest in J... was wondering if the 2 with F lounge access will be able to bring the other 2 adults and 2 kids with them into the F lounge in DXB, if no-one has any EK status at all?

Thanks!
F pax can guest one each regardless of status. The kids will be charged.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:53 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Happy New Year All

Out with the old and in with the new [EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2020

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.