Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Customer Affairs - AKA Ghost Town

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK Customer Affairs - AKA Ghost Town

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:16 am

Basically, the question is what to believe.

The TSA stamp - coming from an agency that isn't really known to be very trustworthy by many - telling the pax that the bag (who apparently travelled without issues on many flights before) was destroyed on the few metres between checkin and their "inspection".

OR

EK - who basically claim that the bag was fine when given to TSA, and broken afterwards.

Applying the law of probability, I tend to side with EK on this one.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

The TSA stamp - coming from an agency that isn't really known to be very trustworthy by many - telling the pax that the bag (who apparently travelled without issues on many flights before) was destroyed on the few metres between checkin and their "inspection".

OR

EK - who basically claim that the bag was fine when given to TSA, and broken afterwards.

Applying the law of probability, I tend to side with EK on this one.
I can almost guarantee that the bag was damaged by the TSA forcing it open rather than using the TSA lock. This has been reported many times - they just force them open (like they would with any other locked bag) rather than try to find the master key.
planet_erg likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

if I get it right, this is simply a situation that bag was damaged

On arrival damage was reported
next day, passenger was asked to drop bag off at EK office
Passenger refused
EK rep stated that once bag dropped off, EK would compensate for value of bag
passenger stated that this was not an acceptable solution

Seems to me that customer had an unreasonable view on what was acceptable. In case of damage, the airline is liable for it; it seems that the airline accepted liability, was prepared to reimburse passenger but passenger refused

Unrelated to this a flight from Lisbon was cancelled. Flights do get cancelled, so put claim in for EUR600 under EC261 and move on
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Like the time the TSA cut-off my TSA APPROVED lock instead of just opening it...
planet_erg likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald
Originally Posted by Metanoia
I wouldn't have checked a backpack in. Some airports do not use trays in their baggage system and all the straps and zipper covers, etc. are subject to being eaten by conveyor belts.

That being said, EK is almost always responsive but in this case they might have wrongly come to the conclusion the TSA is responsible for your backpack. Not to invalidate your comments, but you're one of hundreds of complaints coming in and the person processing these has to make a split-second decision and get on to the next one. Best to escalate via social media if you're not getting the attention you require.

As for not learning of your rescheduled flight, might I suggest that you have a dedicated phone for roaming that is noted on your reservation? I travel with two phones, or most recently, a dual SIM phone. EK contacts me all the time on my US number with big and small stuff using text and phone call - they even called once to question my extremely early Chauffeur Drive pickup. They probably did attempt to contact you, but if your phone was not on using the phone noted on your reservation there's quite the risk that you missed it.
Thanks for your comments but to clarify a few points.
1. This was not a backpack. It is a wheel case.
2. I do have a number that follows me everywhere and I get VM, Messages and Calls on it, no matter what provider I am on. I also get them on my computer. I also have the app. The App and my email alerted me to check in for my flights, they also sent me alerts about buying an upgrade, so all systems were confirmed to be working. I did not get any notification about the cancellation because EK failed to notify me.
3. EK are still silent on the issue. I have tweeted them a few times. No response.
Any other suggestions?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by planet_erg
Thanks for your comments but to clarify a few points.
1. This was not a backpack. It is a wheel case.
2. I do have a number that follows me everywhere and I get VM, Messages and Calls on it, no matter what provider I am on. I also get them on my computer. I also have the app. The App and my email alerted me to check in for my flights, they also sent me alerts about buying an upgrade, so all systems were confirmed to be working. I did not get any notification about the cancellation because EK failed to notify me.
3. EK are still silent on the issue. I have tweeted them a few times. No response.
Any other suggestions?
Travel insurance? Otherwise perhaps best to take inspiration from Disney's Frozen
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald
Can I get an AMEN for this? S c 0 TT y
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:53 am
Original Poster

All, thank you for your input. I forgot about EC261 so that will be very helpful, thank you!!!!

The number I have for EK Customer Affairs never gets answered. I have been calling +971 4 708 3611. If anyone has a better number I would love to get it from you.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:52 am

All, thank you for your input. I forgot about EC261 so that will be very helpful, thank you!!!!

The number I have for EK Customer Affairs never gets answered. I have been calling +971 4 708 3611. If anyone has a better number I would love to get it from you.
https://www.emirates.com/in/english/help/

Scroll down to Call Us. They have local numbers in all countries they serve, no need to call DXB. Key in your skywards number and phone PIN (get it from my account page on the desktop EK website) and it'll be answered almost immediately by a dedicated Gold desk
thijsseh likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: some
EK customer service has completely let me down. I had a flight cancelled and two downgraded from F to C - no response whatsoever, not via email, not when calling, not via twitter. Amazing.

So, I tend to feel a considerable degree of sympathy of the OP.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Fliar
EK customer service has completely let me down. I had a flight cancelled and two downgraded from F to C - no response whatsoever, not via email, not when calling, not via twitter. Amazing.

Where from and to?

Did you pay by credit card? If so, it's probably worth contacting them and asking them to issue a chargeback as you didn't get what you'd paid for.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fliar

I heard that the VP of Customer Affairs left his post in December. I wonder if it is because of the terrible customer service (or lack of) that we are receiving, or if it is out of frustration with Emirates attitudes to how much they value (or dont) customers. Thoughts?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:06 am

I heard that the VP of Customer Affairs left his post in December. I wonder if it is because of the terrible customer service (or lack of) that we are receiving, or if it is out of frustration with Emirates attitudes to how much they value (or dont) customers. Thoughts?
I'm very happy with the customer service, instant answers when I call, no holding, very helpful also via Twitter, no complaints
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:50 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
https://www.emirates.com/in/english/help/

Scroll down to Call Us. They have local numbers in all countries they serve, no need to call DXB. Key in your skywards number and phone PIN (get it from my account page on the desktop EK website) and it'll be answered almost immediately by a dedicated Gold desk
Out of interest, did you follow Skywardhunter’s advice and get through to the Gold line?

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/

S
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saltire74

Out of interest, did you follow Skywardhunter’s advice and get through to the Gold line?

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/

S
I did not have any luck, but I did one better. I went to their headquarters while on a layover in Dubai. Lovely campus and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the experience. The agent who was working my case came down and met me in person in one of three lounges they have setup purely for Customer Affairs department!

The agent did not do much to address my complaints and was left with a list of three items to get back to me on. She has failed to do those, by her own admission and not through a lack of trying, but they are least communicating now.

When I brought up EC261, she said that the law does not apply because this was not a cancelled flight, but a schedule change which happened on 11/26/18 (my flight was 12/11/18). Does anyone know how I can verify that this was a schedule change and not a cancellation?
Metanoia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.